CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 30

Author Topic: 3/30/2015  (Read 52022 times)

Ogie

• Founding Member
  • Junior Status
Re: 3/30/2015
« Reply #300 on: March 30, 2015, 02:11:11 PM »

Well, I think I may have gotten off to the wrong start with my scotch tasting. Store only had the 1.75 of the Speyburn 10 Ogie suggested ($53). Was only wanting to pick up the 750. So, I took that $50 and picked up a bottle of Macallan 12 year the owner recommended. Then, with that and the Highland Park 12 I already had, met my brother who just happened to have a bottle of Lavavulin 16 year. FML... this is what happened with cigars!
Introduction to Single Malt 101 - every fuk'n liquor store in American will recommend Macallan to every single rookie that will listen.

Well, that and the fact NJDave brought it up at one point. This guy has ordered stuff for me before, so I trusted his opinion.
Oh it is perfectly drinkable, trying to think of a cigar situation that might add up to something similar.  Maybe like walking in and the shop says oh here rookie this is a MonteChristo the finest cigar made.  Well yeah it is a decent smokeable cigar but really does not represent the world of cigars in that price range.

Needless to say, I liked the smoky flavor of the Lagavulin the best. Figures. The most expensive one. Story of my life...
The down side to Lag (which is about the only single malt I drink anymore) is there is no substitute or even close second when it comes to that nice bright smoke flavor.  Used to drink Tallisker some but hell it is not that much cheaper than Lag anymore.

Yep. I've already been told that if I like the smoke in that, nothing is really going to touch it. Basically saying it's the 'pinnacle'. Guess I have to check my Costco now... I am still going to try the Speyburn though. Said he have it in by Friday!
Very debatable statements.

Which? There is a lot of opinion there, for sure.
Ogie is taking his Mr. Miyagi approch today.
Ha, just wanted to slow down the Lagavulin train.

sfish

« Reply #301 on: March 30, 2015, 02:12:02 PM »

Well, I think I may have gotten off to the wrong start with my scotch tasting. Store only had the 1.75 of the Speyburn 10 Ogie suggested ($53). Was only wanting to pick up the 750. So, I took that $50 and picked up a bottle of Macallan 12 year the owner recommended. Then, with that and the Highland Park 12 I already had, met my brother who just happened to have a bottle of Lavavulin 16 year. FML... this is what happened with cigars!
Man, are you in trouble...
Ha! Yep

South Carolina Redfish

• Coffee At Sunrise 🌄 and Cocktails At Sunset 🌅
  • Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • “Retirement Is Wonderful”
« Reply #302 on: March 30, 2015, 02:12:33 PM »

Introduction to Single Malt 101 - every fuk'n liquor store in American will recommend Macallan to every single rookie that will listen.

Well, that and the fact NJDave brought it up at one point. This guy has ordered stuff for me before, so I trusted his opinion.
The Macallan 12 is an outstanding scotch despite it's popularity, that was a great buy. Lagavulin is nearly double the price
Only if you like non smokey, non peaty sweet single malt is it outstanding.   It is very rare to find someone who likes Lagavulin and anything Macallan both.  I have had plenty of single malt friends that dont like Lagavulin at all.

BackyardSmoker

• Smoke is good
  • Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Back2Back
« Reply #303 on: March 30, 2015, 02:13:15 PM »

I know, right!?!

Not to mention i picked up a couple bombers while I was there as well. Lagunitas Coffee Imperial Stout, Abita Macchiato Milk Stout and a ST Creme Brulee.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Summertime
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #304 on: March 30, 2015, 02:13:19 PM »

The Macallan 12 is an outstanding scotch despite it's popularity, that was a great buy. Lagavulin is nearly double the price
Just as Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are usually overlooked at ordinary.  Both fine (even if not exceptional) in my book.

sfish

« Reply #305 on: March 30, 2015, 02:14:02 PM »

Oh it is perfectly drinkable, trying to think of a cigar situation that might add up to something similar.  Maybe like walking in and the shop says oh here rookie this is a MonteChristo the finest cigar made.  Well yeah it is a decent smokeable cigar but really does not represent the world of cigars in that price range.

Needless to say, I liked the smoky flavor of the Lagavulin the best. Figures. The most expensive one. Story of my life...
The down side to Lag (which is about the only single malt I drink anymore) is there is no substitute or even close second when it comes to that nice bright smoke flavor.  Used to drink Tallisker some but hell it is not that much cheaper than Lag anymore.

Yep. I've already been told that if I like the smoke in that, nothing is really going to touch it. Basically saying it's the 'pinnacle'. Guess I have to check my Costco now... I am still going to try the Speyburn though. Said he have it in by Friday!

Laga being the best.  IMO it's not even be the best peated Diageo brand.  Caol Ila is solid.
And IMO that is a very debatable statement also, even though Caol Ila is on up there I would respectfully disagree till hell froze over about your Lagavulin comment.  Just like cigars we all taste them different. :)
Exactly, not many "bad" single malt scotches out there but much like cigars you need to find you taste and price comfort zones

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #306 on: March 30, 2015, 02:15:27 PM »

Just as Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are usually overlooked at ordinary.  Both fine (even if not exceptional) in my book.
Not a Glenfiddich fan but Glenlivet is the best of the lower priced single malts IMHO.  Always a good go to in the bar.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Summertime
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #307 on: March 30, 2015, 02:15:41 PM »

I know, right!?!

Not to mention i picked up a couple bombers while I was there as well. Lagunitas Coffee Imperial Stout, Abita Macchiato Milk Stout and a ST Creme Brulee.
Haven't had the first two, but the Creme Brulee is saweettt......have your insulin ready.

sfish

« Reply #308 on: March 30, 2015, 02:16:16 PM »

Only if you like non smokey, non peaty sweet single malt is it outstanding.   It is very rare to find someone who likes Lagavulin and anything Macallan both.  I have had plenty of single malt friends that dont like Lagavulin at all.
I have to say I was never impressed by it but haven't had it in years, I would look elsewhere personally when spending nearly $100. Anything Balvenie in that range is far better to my taste

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #309 on: March 30, 2015, 02:16:49 PM »

Is anyone surprised by the fact that the Dr.Dre BEATS headphones, which sell upwards of $450, cost about $14 per unit to manufacture. Just goes to show how many people buy something for the simple reason of a certain name on it...
Not surprised at all.  People are stupid.
Hey!  I'm a people.
No you aren't.  You're Italian.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Summertime
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #310 on: March 30, 2015, 02:16:53 PM »

Laga being the best.  IMO it's not even be the best peated Diageo brand.  Caol Ila is solid.
And IMO that is a very debatable statement also, even though Caol Ila is on up there I would respectfully disagree till hell froze over about your Lagavulin comment.  Just like cigars we all taste them different. :)
Exactly, not many "bad" single malt scotches out there but much like cigars you need to find you taste and price comfort zones
Price comfort zone being a relative term...

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #311 on: March 30, 2015, 02:17:55 PM »

Mine too.  I generally keep a bottle of the Glenlivet 12 on hand.

sfish

« Reply #312 on: March 30, 2015, 02:17:56 PM »

I know, right!?!

I drank the Laguanitas Cappuccino Stout on Friday night when I met my friends for drinks, it was very good on tap

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #313 on: March 30, 2015, 02:18:37 PM »

Chit, I am ready to go home!

sfish

« Reply #314 on: March 30, 2015, 02:19:02 PM »

I know, right!?!

Haven't had the first two, but the Creme Brulee is saweettt......have your insulin ready.
I almost think you need to mix that beer with another stout
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 30