« Reply #285 on: March 30, 2015, 02:00:22 PM »

Well, I think I may have gotten off to the wrong start with my scotch tasting. Store only had the 1.75 of the Speyburn 10 Ogie suggested ($53). Was only wanting to pick up the 750. So, I took that $50 and picked up a bottle of Macallan 12 year the owner recommended. Then, with that and the Highland Park 12 I already had, met my brother who just happened to have a bottle of Lavavulin 16 year. FML... this is what happened with cigars!
Hope you stayed over the brothers.....lol
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 3/30/2015
« Reply #286 on: March 30, 2015, 02:00:41 PM »

Guess I will go wonder around the streets and find some lunch.

I wonder how far he'll wander before he finds lunch?
Now if it were Tony, I'd have an answer.
Well I mistakenly wondered to Subway and as soon as I tasted it hated myself for doing such.

You shouldn't believe Jared. He lies!  ;)

« Reply #287 on: March 30, 2015, 02:01:11 PM »

Is anyone surprised by the fact that the Dr.Dre BEATS headphones, which sell upwards of $450, cost about $14 per unit to manufacture. Just goes to show how many people buy something for the simple reason of a certain name on it...
Just wait till Apple buys them and then converts to an Apple dedicated jack.  They'll be $650...and buds will be $150, and the Applites will buy them up.
And will wait in line outside for 4 days in order to buy them.
Logged

Ogie

  • Founding Member
  • Junior Status
  • *
« Reply #288 on: March 30, 2015, 02:01:46 PM »

Well, I think I may have gotten off to the wrong start with my scotch tasting. Store only had the 1.75 of the Speyburn 10 Ogie suggested ($53). Was only wanting to pick up the 750. So, I took that $50 and picked up a bottle of Macallan 12 year the owner recommended. Then, with that and the Highland Park 12 I already had, met my brother who just happened to have a bottle of Lavavulin 16 year. FML... this is what happened with cigars!
Introduction to Single Malt 101 - every fuk'n liquor store in American will recommend Macallan to every single rookie that will listen.

Well, that and the fact NJDave brought it up at one point. This guy has ordered stuff for me before, so I trusted his opinion.
Oh it is perfectly drinkable, trying to think of a cigar situation that might add up to something similar.  Maybe like walking in and the shop says oh here rookie this is a MonteChristo the finest cigar made.  Well yeah it is a decent smokeable cigar but really does not represent the world of cigars in that price range.

Needless to say, I liked the smoky flavor of the Lagavulin the best. Figures. The most expensive one. Story of my life...
The down side to Lag (which is about the only single malt I drink anymore) is there is no substitute or even close second when it comes to that nice bright smoke flavor.  Used to drink Tallisker some but hell it is not that much cheaper than Lag anymore.

Yep. I've already been told that if I like the smoke in that, nothing is really going to touch it. Basically saying it's the 'pinnacle'. Guess I have to check my Costco now... I am still going to try the Speyburn though. Said he have it in by Friday!
Very debatable statements.

« Reply #289 on: March 30, 2015, 02:02:02 PM »

Is anyone surprised by the fact that the Dr.Dre BEATS headphones, which sell upwards of $450, cost about $14 per unit to manufacture. Just goes to show how many people buy something for the simple reason of a certain name on it...
Not surprised at all.  People are stupid.
Hey!  I'm a people.
We can rest our case.

« Reply #290 on: March 30, 2015, 02:02:39 PM »

Guess I will go wonder around the streets and find some lunch.

I wonder how far he'll wander before he finds lunch?
Now if it were Tony, I'd have an answer.
Well I mistakenly wondered to Subway and as soon as I tasted it hated myself for doing such.
Love the smell of a bakery, but hate the smell of bread baking there, not sure why...
Now that is a bit confusing!
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 3/30/2015
« Reply #291 on: March 30, 2015, 02:03:19 PM »

Well, I think I may have gotten off to the wrong start with my scotch tasting. Store only had the 1.75 of the Speyburn 10 Ogie suggested ($53). Was only wanting to pick up the 750. So, I took that $50 and picked up a bottle of Macallan 12 year the owner recommended. Then, with that and the Highland Park 12 I already had, met my brother who just happened to have a bottle of Lavavulin 16 year. FML... this is what happened with cigars!
Hope you stayed over the brothers.....lol

2-3 fingers of each with a couple nice smokes to accompany. It was a nice evening.  8)

« Reply #292 on: March 30, 2015, 02:04:18 PM »

Well, I think I may have gotten off to the wrong start with my scotch tasting. Store only had the 1.75 of the Speyburn 10 Ogie suggested ($53). Was only wanting to pick up the 750. So, I took that $50 and picked up a bottle of Macallan 12 year the owner recommended. Then, with that and the Highland Park 12 I already had, met my brother who just happened to have a bottle of Lavavulin 16 year. FML... this is what happened with cigars!
Man, are you in trouble...

« Reply #293 on: March 30, 2015, 02:04:27 PM »

Is anyone surprised by the fact that the Dr.Dre BEATS headphones, which sell upwards of $450, cost about $14 per unit to manufacture. Just goes to show how many people buy something for the simple reason of a certain name on it...
Just wait till Apple buys them and then converts to an Apple dedicated jack.  They'll be $650...and buds will be $150, and the Applites will buy them up.
And will wait in line outside for 4 days in order to buy them.
Where ya think CG went to
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 3/30/2015
« Reply #294 on: March 30, 2015, 02:04:46 PM »

[...]

Which? There is a lot of opinion there, for sure.
Logged

Ogie

  • Founding Member
  • Junior Status
  • *
« Reply #295 on: March 30, 2015, 02:07:08 PM »

[...]

Laga being the best.  IMO it's not even the best peated Diageo brand.  Caol Ila is solid.

« Reply #296 on: March 30, 2015, 02:08:59 PM »

[...]

Ogie is taking his Mr. Miyagi approch today.

« Reply #297 on: March 30, 2015, 02:09:53 PM »

Well, I think I may have gotten off to the wrong start with my scotch tasting. Store only had the 1.75 of the Speyburn 10 Ogie suggested ($53). Was only wanting to pick up the 750. So, I took that $50 and picked up a bottle of Macallan 12 year the owner recommended. Then, with that and the Highland Park 12 I already had, met my brother who just happened to have a bottle of Lavavulin 16 year. FML... this is what happened with cigars!
Introduction to Single Malt 101 - every fuk'n liquor store in American will recommend Macallan to every single rookie that will listen.

Well, that and the fact NJDave brought it up at one point. This guy has ordered stuff for me before, so I trusted his opinion.
The Macallan 12 is an outstanding scotch despite it's popularity, that was a great buy. Lagavulin is nearly double the price

« Reply #298 on: March 30, 2015, 02:10:32 PM »

[...]

Laga being the best.  IMO it's not even be the best peated Diageo brand.  Caol Ila is solid.
And IMO that is a very debatable statement also, even though Caol Ila is on up there I would respectfully disagree till hell froze over about your Lagavulin comment.  Just like cigars we all taste them different. :)

« Reply #299 on: March 30, 2015, 02:10:55 PM »

Don't know why these JdN Reds don't get more love.  A very solid med. smoke IMHO