« Reply #270 on: March 30, 2015, 01:43:09 PM »

Is anyone surprised by the fact that the Dr.Dre BEATS headphones, which sell upwards of $450, cost about $14 per unit to manufacture. Just goes to show how many people buy something for the simple reason of a certain name on it...
Not surprised at all.  People are stupid.
Hey!  I'm a people.
I'm a people too, but I bought the
 AKG travel headphones Quincy Jones edition, for $79
 on sale.
And I have Klipsch headpones that I purchased on sale for $99 w/ FS for normal use but for airplane rides Bose is the best of the active noise reduction stuff IMHO.  That said I am not a Bose fan other than for noise cancelling headphones while flying.

Not guaranteeing I am a people though
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 3/30/2015
« Reply #271 on: March 30, 2015, 01:44:59 PM »

Is anyone surprised by the fact that the Dr.Dre BEATS headphones, which sell upwards of $450, cost about $14 per unit to manufacture. Just goes to show how many people buy something for the simple reason of a certain name on it...
it's Conspicuous Consumption - They buy they because they are that much, same reason
some folks buy Range Rovers, or Hummers(the SUV's)

Funny part about them is most don't know they are not even made by the 'real' Hummer they associate with the military... or Range Rover somehow is connected to the Land Rover.  ::)

« Reply #272 on: March 30, 2015, 01:49:29 PM »

Is anyone surprised by the fact that the Dr.Dre BEATS headphones, which sell upwards of $450, cost about $14 per unit to manufacture. Just goes to show how many people buy something for the simple reason of a certain name on it...
it's Conspicuous Consumption - They buy they because they are that much, same reason
some folks buy Range Rovers, or Hummers(the SUV's)

Funny part about them is most don't know they are not even made by the 'real' Hummer they associate with the military... or Range Rover somehow is connected to the Land Rover.  ::)
But they are "Cool" and these days of the WIFM society that is all that matters.

« Reply #273 on: March 30, 2015, 01:49:39 PM »

Is anyone surprised by the fact that the Dr.Dre BEATS headphones, which sell upwards of $450, cost about $14 per unit to manufacture. Just goes to show how many people buy something for the simple reason of a certain name on it...
it's Conspicuous Consumption - They buy they because they are that much, same reason
some folks buy Range Rovers, or Hummers(the SUV's)

Funny part about them is most don't know they are not even made by the 'real' Hummer they associate with the military... or Range Rover somehow is connected to the Land Rover.  ::)
  They just want people to know they
 are driving around in an $80K to $90K car.  Same people
who buy Dr. Dre beats, will pull up in an Escalade.  See what I can afford!  :D
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 3/30/2015
« Reply #274 on: March 30, 2015, 01:50:25 PM »

Well, I think I may have gotten off to the wrong start with my scotch tasting. Store only had the 1.75 of the Speyburn 10 Ogie suggested ($53). Was only wanting to pick up the 750. So, I took that $50 and picked up a bottle of Macallan 12 year the owner recommended. Then, with that and the Highland Park 12 I already had, met my brother who just happened to have a bottle of Lavavulin 16 year. FML... this is what happened with cigars!
Introduction to Single Malt 101 - every fuk'n liquor store in American will recommend Macallan to every single rookie that will listen.

Well, that and the fact NJDave brought it up at one point. This guy has ordered stuff for me before, so I trusted his opinion.
Oh it is perfectly drinkable, trying to think of a cigar situation that might add up to something similar.  Maybe like walking in and the shop says oh here rookie this is a MonteChristo the finest cigar made.  Well yeah it is a decent smokeable cigar but really does not represent the world of cigars in that price range.

Needless to say, I liked the smokey flavor of the Lagavulin the best. Figures. The most expensive one. Story of my life...

« Reply #275 on: March 30, 2015, 01:53:18 PM »

[...]

Needless to say, I liked the smoky flavor of the Lagavulin the best. Figures. The most expensive one. Story of my life...
The down side to Lag (which is about the only single malt I drink anymore) is there is no substitute or even close second when it comes to that nice bright smoke flavor.  Used to drink Tallisker some but hell it is not that much cheaper than Lag anymore.

« Reply #276 on: March 30, 2015, 01:53:27 PM »

Guess I will go wonder around the streets and find some lunch.

I wonder how far he'll wander before he finds lunch?
Now if it were Tony, I'd have an answer.

« Reply #277 on: March 30, 2015, 01:54:17 PM »

Guess I will go wonder around the streets and find some lunch.

I wonder how far he'll wander before he finds lunch?
CNS
GFY  Only chinese commies check for proper wording on Banters
:-X

« Reply #278 on: March 30, 2015, 01:54:59 PM »

cellos on or off?

OOO toro going, burgers after.
Mushrooms and Swiss?

« Reply #279 on: March 30, 2015, 01:56:52 PM »

Jeez, still no movement on those PDR's

« Reply #280 on: March 30, 2015, 01:56:57 PM »

Is anyone surprised by the fact that the Dr.Dre BEATS headphones, which sell upwards of $450, cost about $14 per unit to manufacture. Just goes to show how many people buy something for the simple reason of a certain name on it...
Just wait till Apple buys them and then converts to an Apple dedicated jack.  They'll be $650...and buds will be $150, and the Applites will buy them up.
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 3/30/2015
« Reply #281 on: March 30, 2015, 01:57:16 PM »

[...]

Yep. I've already been told that if I like the smoke in that, nothing is really going to touch it. Basically saying it's the 'pinnacle'. Guess I have to check my Costco now... I am still going to try the Speyburn though. Said he have it in by Friday!

« Reply #282 on: March 30, 2015, 01:58:13 PM »

Guess I will go wonder around the streets and find some lunch.

I wonder how far he'll wander before he finds lunch?
Now if it were Tony, I'd have an answer.
Well I mistakenly wondered to Subway and as soon as I tasted it hated myself for doing such.

« Reply #283 on: March 30, 2015, 01:58:18 PM »

Is anyone surprised by the fact that the Dr.Dre BEATS headphones, which sell upwards of $450, cost about $14 per unit to manufacture. Just goes to show how many people buy something for the simple reason of a certain name on it...
A paltry 3,200% mark-up! Almost Gurkhaesque
Quality is comparable as well.

« Reply #284 on: March 30, 2015, 01:59:07 PM »

Guess I will go wonder around the streets and find some lunch.

I wonder how far he'll wander before he finds lunch?
Now if it were Tony, I'd have an answer.
Well I mistakenly wondered to Subway and as soon as I tasted it hated myself for doing such.
Love the smell of a bakery, but hate the smell of bread baking there, not sure why...