CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 30

Author Topic: 3/30/2015  (Read 52007 times)

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
Re: 3/30/2015
« Reply #255 on: March 30, 2015, 01:19:09 PM »

Is anyone surprised by the fact that the Dr.Dre BEATS headphones, which sell upwards of $450, cost about $14 per unit to manufacture. Just goes to show how many people buy something for the simple reason of a certain name on it...
#CUBANCIGARS

sfish

« Reply #256 on: March 30, 2015, 01:20:33 PM »

Is anyone surprised by the fact that the Dr.Dre BEATS headphones, which sell upwards of $450, cost about $14 per unit to manufacture. Just goes to show how many people buy something for the simple reason of a certain name on it...
A paltry 3,200% mark-up! Almost Gurkhaesque

South Carolina Redfish

• Coffee At Sunrise 🌄 and Cocktails At Sunset 🌅
  • Founding Member
  • “Retirement Is Wonderful”
« Reply #257 on: March 30, 2015, 01:25:12 PM »

#CUBANCIGARS
Touche' for Tony on that call

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #258 on: March 30, 2015, 01:25:53 PM »

Not surprised at all.  People are stupid.

BackyardSmoker

• Smoke is good
  • Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Back2Back
« Reply #259 on: March 30, 2015, 01:30:22 PM »

Well, I think I may have gotten off to the wrong start with my scotch tasting. Store only had the 1.75 of the Speyburn 10 Ogie suggested ($53). Was only wanting to pick up the 750. So, I took that $50 and picked up a bottle of Macallan 12 year the owner recommended. Then, with that and the Highland Park 12 I already had, met my brother who just happened to have a bottle of Lavavulin 16 year. FML... this is what happened with cigars!

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #260 on: March 30, 2015, 01:33:35 PM »

Hey!  I'm a people.

flip from jersey

• Founding Member
  • Endeared Status
  • We don't need no stinking apple, give me my Gurkha
« Reply #261 on: March 30, 2015, 01:33:46 PM »

it's Conspicuous Consumption - They buy they because they are that much, same reason
some folks buy Range Rovers, or Hummers(the SUV's)

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #262 on: March 30, 2015, 01:34:13 PM »

Well, I think I may have gotten off to the wrong start with my scotch tasting. Store only had the 1.75 of the Speyburn 10 Ogie suggested ($53). Was only wanting to pick up the 750. So, I took that $50 and picked up a bottle of Macallan 12 year the owner recommended. Then, with that and the Highland Park 12 I already had, met my brother who just happened to have a bottle of Lavavulin 16 year. FML... this is what happened with cigars!
Introduction to Single Malt 101 - every fuk'n liquor store in American will recommend Macallan to every single rookie that will listen.   Fortunately your Brother has much better taste for single malt than does your liquor store.

BackyardSmoker

• Smoke is good
  • Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Back2Back
« Reply #263 on: March 30, 2015, 01:34:37 PM »

True. I tried them out to see what all the hype was a year or so ago, and I thought they were not even on par with the $75 Sony's I own.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #264 on: March 30, 2015, 01:36:18 PM »

it's Conspicuous Consumption - They buy they because they are that much, same reason
LOL!  Nothing wrong with buying a hummer.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #265 on: March 30, 2015, 01:36:46 PM »

True. I tried them out to see what all the hype was a year or so ago, and I thought they were not even on par with the $75 Sony's I own.
They are designed with one particular type of listener in mind and I don't think you are the type. :)

BackyardSmoker

• Smoke is good
  • Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Back2Back
« Reply #266 on: March 30, 2015, 01:36:49 PM »

Introduction to Single Malt 101 - every fuk'n liquor store in American will recommend Macallan to every single rookie that will listen.

Well, that and the fact NJDave brought it up at one point. This guy has ordered stuff for me before, so I trusted his opinion.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #267 on: March 30, 2015, 01:37:46 PM »

LOL!  Nothing wrong with buying a hummer.
Nothing wrong with getting a hummer either and I could use one now.

flip from jersey

• Founding Member
  • Endeared Status
  • We don't need no stinking apple, give me my Gurkha
« Reply #268 on: March 30, 2015, 01:39:58 PM »

Hey!  I'm a people.
I'm a people too, but I bought the
 AKG travel headphones Quincy Jones edition, for $79
 on sale.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #269 on: March 30, 2015, 01:40:48 PM »

Introduction to Single Malt 101 - every fuk'n liquor store in American will recommend Macallan to every single rookie that will listen.

Well, that and the fact NJDave brought it up at one point. This guy has ordered stuff for me before, so I trusted his opinion.
Oh it is perfectly drinkable, trying to think of a cigar situation that might add up to something similar.  Maybe like walking in and the shop says oh here rookie this is a MonteChristo the finest cigar made.  Well yeah it is a decent smokeable cigar but really does not represent the world of cigars in that price range.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 30