CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21

Author Topic: 9/3/2015  (Read 31922 times)

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Summertime
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
Re: 9/3/2015
« Reply #180 on: September 03, 2015, 12:26:43 PM »

Unusual phone (landline) problem.  If you call my house, you will receive on ring and that's it.  It's as thou your call has gone into a call blocker.  On my end, I do not get a ring, so I'll never know you called.  Thinking the answering machine may be messed up and is picking up the line, I disconnected everything.  Called my house on my cell, and again, one ring then dead silence.  I still have an old 1960's phone, so I plug it in, and it's the only phone connected. I call my number, one ring, then silence.  But my cell phone still shows I'm connected.  I pick up the old phone, and I'm on line to my cell phone (the line is open.)  I haven't tried it yet, but if you call my house, I'll never know it, and the line is open.  Now I'm wondering if the phones transmitter is transferring what's said to the calling party...?  Let me know if you have any thoughts while I make a tin foil hat.
Get a phone from this century.
You can use an old phone the same as a telephone repairmans handset for trouble shooting.  I still need to check the box on the side of my house, but this sounds more like a phone tap.  When you call, and their are no devices on my end, who or what is picking up the phone to cause an open line..?
So why does your phone not work if you can do all  that?  Ooops, maybe you still have a party line and that is the problem or do you have to pick up and say high to Sarah then she plugs in the correct line and connects you.
Party line, you might have some thing there.  If my line was crossed with some one that has an answering machine that picks up on the first ring, that might cause it..?
What good would a wire tap do if it interfered with you getting calls therefore negating any value of listening in?

Bad Dad

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Cigar Tycoon
« Reply #181 on: September 03, 2015, 12:27:12 PM »

Hackers are offering to sell Hillary's complete "real" email files for $500,000.
Ok, then I give them permission. When do I get my money?  8)
I'd like to read them too.  I want to find out of Penny from the Big Bang Theory got her new hair cut idea from Hillary...?

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Summertime
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #182 on: September 03, 2015, 12:30:50 PM »

Good morning gents.....
Morning Not Car Shopping Dad
I've been waiting for salesmen to call me with some quotes, but I've found out that I'm having phone problems and can not receive calls on my land line (the number I gave to the salesmen.)  So I haven't heard from anyone.  My wife is off today and tomorrow, and I was hoping to go shopping tomorrow, but my wife's sick.
Go alone and get the deal firm, then bring the little lady to pick the color.
The salesman I'm dealing with (or trying to deal with) is off on Thursdays.  There are two cars I want, one has the basics that I want, but has been sold.  They said they would find another.  The other cars costs $1,500 more and has a moonroof, push button start, and I can get it now.  I really like that, but the more that I think about it, moonroof's normally always leak and will need to be repaired.  As far as the push button start, "what do you do if you press the button and it doesn't start..?"  Is the problem the battery, the button, the switch on the break (you have to step on the break to start the car), would you try and jump it...?  So now it sounds like for $1,500 I can even more problems in the future... ugh..!
You are talking about 1970's custom installed moonroofs.  I have not heard of any problem with moonroofs leaking in the past 25 years or so. (unless you leave them open when it is raining).   Button starts have also be around for years without any mechanical problem.  The major issue is that people forget to push the button to turn them off, and leave the car running, which may be an issue with your warden from what you say.

Bad Dad

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Cigar Tycoon
« Reply #183 on: September 03, 2015, 12:31:55 PM »

Unusual phone (landline) problem.  If you call my house, you will receive on ring and that's it.  It's as thou your call has gone into a call blocker.  On my end, I do not get a ring, so I'll never know you called.  Thinking the answering machine may be messed up and is picking up the line, I disconnected everything.  Called my house on my cell, and again, one ring then dead silence.  I still have an old 1960's phone, so I plug it in, and it's the only phone connected. I call my number, one ring, then silence.  But my cell phone still shows I'm connected.  I pick up the old phone, and I'm on line to my cell phone (the line is open.)  I haven't tried it yet, but if you call my house, I'll never know it, and the line is open.  Now I'm wondering if the phones transmitter is transferring what's said to the calling party...?  Let me know if you have any thoughts while I make a tin foil hat.
You can use an old phone the same as a telephone repairmans handset for trouble shooting.  I still need to check the box on the side of my house, but this sounds more like a phone tap.  When you call, and their are no devices on my end, who or what is picking up the phone to cause an open line..?
So why does your phone not work if you can do all  that?  Ooops, maybe you still have a party line and that is the problem or do you have to pick up and say high to Sarah then she plugs in the correct line and connects you.
Party line, you might have some thing there.  If my line was crossed with some one that has an answering machine that picks up on the first ring, that might cause it..?
What good would a wire tap do if it interfered with you getting calls therefore negating any value of listening in?
I can call out, so I don't see any problems.  They can call in without me knowing it, and the mouth piece of the phone works like a microphone for bugging.  I've seen it used many times on, "Get Smart.."

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Summertime
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #184 on: September 03, 2015, 12:35:48 PM »

Good morning gents.....
I've been waiting for salesmen to call me with some quotes, but I've found out that I'm having phone problems and can not receive calls on my land line (the number I gave to the salesmen.)  So I haven't heard from anyone.  My wife is off today and tomorrow, and I was hoping to go shopping tomorrow, but my wife's sick.
The salesman I'm dealing with (or trying to deal with) is off on Thursdays.  There are two cars I want, one has the basics that I want, but has been sold.  They said they would find another.  The other cars costs $1,500 more and has a moonroof, push button start, and I can get it now.  I really like that, but the more that I think about it, moonroof's normally always leak and will need to be repaired.  As far as the push button start, "what do you do if you press the button and it doesn't start..?"  Is the problem the battery, the button, the switch on the break (you have to step on the break to start the car), would you try and jump it...?  So now it sounds like for $1,500 I can even more problems in the future... ugh..!
I wouldn't be sh of the roof.  Mine has help up for 9 years in North Dakota weather, so you should be good in MO.  As a note, they service it(lube/inspect it/etc) with all mileage incremental services.
This one completely opens.  Now I guess I shouldn't have told my wife that bats fly into them at night.
You have enough issues with your car buying process, no need to invent issues or imagine unsupported problems.
When it comes down to it, wheels are unreliable as they can deflate (not an uncommon occurrence), body panels and bumpers can get dinged or scratched from car doors, shopping carts etc.  Heck, you should have seen what the body of the rental car I had in Austin looked like after the hail storm.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Summertime
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #185 on: September 03, 2015, 12:36:47 PM »

I can call out, so I don't see any problems.  They can call in without me knowing it, and the mouth piece of the phone works like a microphone for bugging.  I've seen it used many times on, "Get Smart.."
That must be it then.  Did you try answering with your shoe?

Bad Dad

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Cigar Tycoon
« Reply #186 on: September 03, 2015, 12:37:32 PM »

Good morning gents.....
You are talking about 1970's custom installed moonroofs.  I have not heard of any problem with moonroofs leaking in the past 25 years or so. (unless you leave them open when it is raining).   Button starts have also be around for years without any mechanical problem.  The major issue is that people forget to push the button to turn them off, and leave the car running, which may be an issue with your warden from what you say.
I believe the salesman said, "If some one would steal your car while it's running, the engine will die as soon as it gets out of range of the key fob.."

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Summertime
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #187 on: September 03, 2015, 12:42:30 PM »

Good morning gents.....
I believe the salesman said, "If some one would steal your car while it's running, the engine will die as soon as it gets out of range of the key fob.."
That's good.  Not all cars have that feature.

flip from jersey

• Founding Member
  • Endeared Status
  • We don't need no stinking apple, give me my Gurkha
« Reply #188 on: September 03, 2015, 12:45:05 PM »

Good morning gents.....
Push button start (2006 Lexis IS250) bought used last year.  leave key fob in your pocket. open door without using keys, start car with thing in your pocket.  door has a hidden key lock under the handle, to open door if the battery is dead(with valet key).  remote has enough power that if held up to the push button, you can start it, to take you to a staples(or Lexus or Toyota) to buy a remote battery.  Valet key is to lock trunk and glove box, you give valet the keyfob minus the valet key.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Summertime
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #189 on: September 03, 2015, 12:46:43 PM »

Good morning gents.....
My car has push button start AND button gear selection.  Talk about a pain in the ass!  Then again, not really new as it was on a number of cars in the 50's and 60's including of course the Edsel.

flip from jersey

• Founding Member
  • Endeared Status
  • We don't need no stinking apple, give me my Gurkha
« Reply #190 on: September 03, 2015, 12:47:42 PM »

Good morning gents.....
also car beeps, if you try to lock the doors, with a keyfob in the car.   

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #191 on: September 03, 2015, 12:50:01 PM »

Good morning gents.....
I wouldn't be sh of the roof.  Mine has help up for 9 years in North Dakota weather, so you should be good in MO.  As a note, they service it(lube/inspect it/etc) with all mileage incremental services.
This one completely opens.  Now I guess I shouldn't have told my wife that bats fly into them at night.
You have enough issues with your car buying process, no need to invent issues or imagine unsupported problems.
When it comes down to it, wheels are unreliable as they can deflate (not an uncommon occurrence), body panels and bumpers can get dinged or scratched from car doors, shopping carts etc.  Heck, you should have seen what the body of the rental car I had in Austin looked like after the hail storm.
Don't stifle him. I already get very little entertainment in the afternoon, don't take this away from me.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Summertime
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #192 on: September 03, 2015, 12:54:36 PM »

Good morning gents.....
They all do, either tilt or open.  Only difference between "moonroof" and "sunroof" is that sunroof is made of metal and moonroof is glass. 

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Summertime
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #193 on: September 03, 2015, 12:56:49 PM »

Good morning gents.....
Don't stifle him. I already get very little entertainment in the afternoon, don't take this away from me.

Bad Dad

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Cigar Tycoon
« Reply #194 on: September 03, 2015, 01:05:18 PM »

I hate to keep bringing this up, but last night my ex-sister-in-law called (texted on my cell phone), to tell me she had received a letter from her car insurance company that needed to be signed and returned in order for them to do a credit check.  I can see having a credit check if you are taking out a loan, or getting a credit card, but not for paying for services.  Again, I do believe there is something to your car insurance rates being tied to your credit scores.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21