« Reply #180 on: March 18, 2015, 11:39:16 AM »

Morning, all.
Morning Joe, weird vibe in here this morning I'm not gonna lie

I don't plan to be here long, all the more reason to head home early.  Got scotch on the brain, doing some price shopping... Need to minimize time at the liquor store so I have more time to smoke and drink at home.
Well, the good news about scotch....not many short supplies....the bad news, most regular good scotches are prices like the rare or premium bourbons...and the special ones....

It's an interesting tradeoff, and I know exactly what you mean. Generally, if you want a scotch you can get it somewhere.  There is truly great stuff on shelves right now.  Bourbon, not so much.  Some decent stuff out there all the time but the great ones are once a year releases and go quick. Trying to find that middle ground of VERY good scotch at an OK price.  Currently looking at Ardbeg Uigedail.
What is an OK price?

« Reply #181 on: March 18, 2015, 11:42:43 AM »

[...]

Sounds like $60/bottle +- $10

« Reply #182 on: March 18, 2015, 11:43:10 AM »

Morning, all.
What are you doing for your big day tomorrow?

« Reply #183 on: March 18, 2015, 11:44:17 AM »

Good morning, gents. I got home yesterday without being puked upon. Let's hope today is as successful.
I like the probability of success due to the low expectations, morning Tony
We getting together next week, Scotty?
Are we trying? When are you in the NJ office?
My schedule in that office is flexible.  I usually do a Thursday though.
So your schedule is flexible but you're not?
I'll have you know I used to do yoga.
Just threw up again, Tony in yoga pants!
Hope he wears em for your next herf!
That oughta fire up the white whale.
CNS, I'll try to get another shot of that as well
Not if you're making arrangements without me you won't.
Never without you.  Are you out of town again next week?

« Reply #184 on: March 18, 2015, 11:44:49 AM »

If you want to stay in the $50-$55 range it's hard to top Balvenie 12 Doublewood IMO, also Macallan 12. The scotch I remember being really good in the $70-$80 range was the Cragganmore Distiller's Edition, finished in port casks

« Reply #185 on: March 18, 2015, 11:45:49 AM »

If you want to stay in the $50-$55 range it's hard to top Balvenie 12 Doublewood IMO, also Macallan 12. The scotch I remember being really good in the $70-$80 range was the Cragganmore Distiller's Edition, finished in port casks
Mac 10 Fine Oak is awesome too, on the mellow side - usually $45ish/bottle

« Reply #186 on: March 18, 2015, 11:47:56 AM »

If you want to stay in the $50-$55 range it's hard to top Balvenie 12 Doublewood IMO, also Macallan 12. The scotch I remember being really good in the $70-$80 range was the Cragganmore Distiller's Edition, finished in port casks
Mac 10 Fine Oak is awesome too, on the mellow side - usually $45ish/bottle
Yes, I really liked that also. Not at the richness level of the 12 yrs mentioned but very good

« Reply #187 on: March 18, 2015, 11:48:51 AM »

If you want to stay in the $50-$55 range it's hard to top Balvenie 12 Doublewood IMO, also Macallan 12. The scotch I remember being really good in the $70-$80 range was the Cragganmore Distiller's Edition, finished in port casks
Mac 10 Fine Oak is awesome too, on the mellow side - usually $45ish/bottle
Or save 72% on a ten'r of VS's.  Just sayin'
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #188 on: March 18, 2015, 11:49:22 AM »

If you want to stay in the $50-$55 range it's hard to top Balvenie 12 Doublewood IMO, also Macallan 12. The scotch I remember being really good in the $70-$80 range was the Cragganmore Distiller's Edition, finished in port casks

I would say $50 range is where I'm comfortable with scotch at the moment.  Give/take $10.  I'm seeing Uigedail in the mid $60s out here.  $55 in LA but with shipping it'd be the same as just getting it locally.

I've had the Aberlour Abunadh, Shaun, and really like it.  I like peat, and I like sherry finishes.  So I tend toward Islay scotches.  I tend to like things at a bit higher proof, too, at least for now as I add it to the bourbon mix.

I also have a bottle of Kilchoman Machir Bay to pick up today, too, that I got pretty cheap at a tasting.

« Reply #189 on: March 18, 2015, 11:54:17 AM »

Lots of fine side roads on the Scotch map, my standards however are Highland Park, Dalmore and Balvenie.

« Reply #190 on: March 18, 2015, 11:55:44 AM »

Good morning, gents. I got home yesterday without being puked upon. Let's hope today is as successful.
I like the probability of success due to the low expectations, morning Tony
We getting together next week, Scotty?
Are we trying? When are you in the NJ office?
My schedule in that office is flexible.  I usually do a Thursday though.
So your schedule is flexible but you're not?
I'll have you know I used to do yoga.
Just threw up again, Tony in yoga pants!
Hope he wears em for your next herf!
That oughta fire up the white whale.
CNS, I'll try to get another shot of that as well
Not if you're making arrangements without me you won't.
Never without you.  Are you out of town again next week?
That I am.
Logged

Ogie

  • Founding Member
  • Junior Status
  • *
« Reply #191 on: March 18, 2015, 11:56:20 AM »

If you want to stay in the $50-$55 range it's hard to top Balvenie 12 Doublewood IMO, also Macallan 12. The scotch I remember being really good in the $70-$80 range was the Cragganmore Distiller's Edition, finished in port casks

I would say $50 range is where I'm comfortable with scotch at the moment.  Give/take $10.  I'm seeing Uigedail in the mid $60s out here.  $55 in LA but with shipping it'd be the same as just getting it locally.

I've had the Aberlour Abunadh, Shaun, and really like it.  I like peat, and I like sherry finishes.  So I tend toward Islay scotches.  I tend to like things at a bit higher proof, too, at least for now as I add it to the bourbon mix.

I also have a bottle of Kilchoman Machir Bay to pick up today, too, that I got pretty cheap at a tasting.
Springbank 10

« Reply #192 on: March 18, 2015, 11:56:33 AM »

If you want to stay in the $50-$55 range it's hard to top Balvenie 12 Doublewood IMO, also Macallan 12. The scotch I remember being really good in the $70-$80 range was the Cragganmore Distiller's Edition, finished in port casks
Mac 10 Fine Oak is awesome too, on the mellow side - usually $45ish/bottle
Or save 72% on a ten'r of VS's.  Just sayin'
Thank you for that input Bean.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #193 on: March 18, 2015, 11:57:04 AM »

Lots of fine side roads on the Scotch map, my standards however are Highland Park, Dalmore and Balvenie.

Indeed.  I was never a huge fan of it before, but I've had enough different ones at tastings that I'm finding what I like.  Bourbon is getting so damn expensive that it's hard to justify some of the bottles out there.  When a sourced, no age statement (or relatively young age statement) generic bourbon or rye is going for $100+, the money is better spent elsewhere.  Or like Willet, who put out their new two year rye... sells for close to $50.  WTF?  That makes no sense other than the demand aspect of it.  Still doesn't mean it's any good.

« Reply #194 on: March 18, 2015, 11:58:04 AM »

If you want to stay in the $50-$55 range it's hard to top Balvenie 12 Doublewood IMO, also Macallan 12. The scotch I remember being really good in the $70-$80 range was the Cragganmore Distiller's Edition, finished in port casks

I would say $50 range is where I'm comfortable with scotch at the moment.  Give/take $10.  I'm seeing Uigedail in the mid $60s out here.  $55 in LA but with shipping it'd be the same as just getting it locally.

I've had the Aberlour Abunadh, Shaun, and really like it.  I like peat, and I like sherry finishes.  So I tend toward Islay scotches.  I tend to like things at a bit higher proof, too, at least for now as I add it to the bourbon mix.

I also have a bottle of Kilchoman Machir Bay to pick up today, too, that I got pretty cheap at a tasting.
I've always loved Laphroaig for a nice Islay choice. They have one that fits your description if you can get it at a discount: Laphroaig 10 Year Old Cask Strength