CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27

Author Topic: 3/18/2015  (Read 45648 times)

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
Re: 3/18/2015
« Reply #195 on: March 18, 2015, 12:03:02 PM »

If you want to stay in the $50-$55 range it's hard to top Balvenie 12 Doublewood IMO, also Macallan 12. The scotch I remember being really good in the $70-$80 range was the Cragganmore Distiller's Edition, finished in port casks

I would say $50 range is where I'm comfortable with scotch at the moment.  Give/take $10.  I'm seeing Uigedail in the mid $60s out here.  $55 in LA but with shipping it'd be the same as just getting it locally.

I've had the Aberlour Abunadh, Shaun, and really like it.  I like peat, and I like sherry finishes.  So I tend toward Islay scotches.  I tend to like things at a bit higher proof, too, at least for now as I add it to the bourbon mix.

I also have a bottle of Kilchoman Machir Bay to pick up today, too, that I got pretty cheap at a tasting.
I've always loved Laphroaig for a nice Islay choice. They have one that fits your description if you can get it at a discount: Laphroaig 10 Year Old Cask Strength

I've had it and really liked it, just a matter of finding it at a decent price.  Don't need to break the bank for anything since I've got plenty of other things to drink.

Threebean

« Reply #196 on: March 18, 2015, 12:04:43 PM »

If you want to stay in the $50-$55 range it's hard to top Balvenie 12 Doublewood IMO, also Macallan 12. The scotch I remember being really good in the $70-$80 range was the Cragganmore Distiller's Edition, finished in port casks
Mac 10 Fine Oak is awesome too, on the mellow side - usually $45ish/bottle
Or save 72% on a ten'r of VS's.  Just sayin'
Thank you for that input Bean.
Not a big scotch drinker so trying to bring it back around to cigars.  Schitty ones, admittedly, but WTH.

Ogie

• Founding Member
  • Junior Status
« Reply #197 on: March 18, 2015, 12:06:18 PM »

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Summertime
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #198 on: March 18, 2015, 12:07:23 PM »

Mac 10 Fine Oak is awesome too, on the mellow side - usually $45ish/bottle
Or save 72% on a ten'r of VS's.  Just sayin'
Thank you for that input Bean.
Not a big scotch drinker so trying to bring it back around to cigars.  Schitty ones, admittedly, but WTH.
At least use attractive bait.

Ogie

• Founding Member
  • Junior Status
« Reply #199 on: March 18, 2015, 12:12:07 PM »

http://www.whisky-emporium.com/UK/Features/WhoOwnsWhat.htm
I recommend the indy stuff as well as Burn Stewart/Distell and Inver House.

sfish

« Reply #200 on: March 18, 2015, 12:12:09 PM »

I would say $50 range is where I'm comfortable with scotch at the moment.  Give/take $10.  I'm seeing Uigedail in the mid $60s out here.  $55 in LA but with shipping it'd be the same as just getting it locally.

I've had the Aberlour Abunadh, Shaun, and really like it.  I like peat, and I like sherry finishes.  So I tend toward Islay scotches.  I tend to like things at a bit higher proof, too, at least for now as I add it to the bourbon mix.

I also have a bottle of Kilchoman Machir Bay to pick up today, too, that I got pretty cheap at a tasting.
I've always loved Laphroaig for a nice Islay choice. They have one that fits your description if you can get it at a discount: Laphroaig 10 Year Old Cask Strength

I've had it and really liked it, just a matter of finding it at a decent price.  Don't need to break the bank for anything since I've got plenty of other things to drink.
I find that the $50-$55 threshold is where you separate the good stuff from the stuff you'll settle for that's decent for "everyday" type drinking. I keep a handle bottle of Jonnie Red for the everyday ($32) and go to Balvenie 12 for an excellent scotch. Above that price I consider a somewhat special purchase, where you really need to hone your taste to what you want to spend that kind of money on. Then the next level is like $70-$80 where you get into really interesting things but then, for me that's a once a year purchase

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #201 on: March 18, 2015, 12:16:22 PM »

I find that the $50-$55 threshold is where you separate the good stuff from the stuff you'll settle for that's decent for "everyday" type drinking. I keep a handle bottle of Jonnie Red for the everyday ($32) and go to Balvenie 12 for an excellent scotch. Above that price I consider a somewhat special purchase, where you really need to hone your taste to what you want to spend that kind of money on. Then the next level is like $70-$80 where you get into really interesting things but then, for me that's a once a year purchase

I don't have a taste for the cheaper, everyday scotches.  I got plenty of great bourbons and ryes that I like much more in that range.  Scotch is more of a once a week drink for me at this point, so I don't mind spending just a little extra for something nicer. 

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #202 on: March 18, 2015, 12:18:33 PM »

OK, I'm outta here.  Boss asked for a ride to a car dealership to drop off his car and then a ride back to his place.  I'm going straight to the liquor store from there.  Enjoy the rest of the day, suckers.

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #203 on: March 18, 2015, 12:21:43 PM »

OK, I'm outta here.  Boss asked for a ride to a car dealership to drop off his car and then a ride back to his place.  I'm going straight to the liquor store from there.  Enjoy the rest of the day, suckers.
Catch ya later Joe

sfish

« Reply #204 on: March 18, 2015, 12:26:25 PM »

Later Joe, you dog!

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Summertime
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #205 on: March 18, 2015, 12:27:18 PM »

Later chauffeur Joe.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Summertime
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #206 on: March 18, 2015, 12:28:10 PM »

Pick up the dry cleaning and a little spit shine for the shoes too?

sfish

« Reply #207 on: March 18, 2015, 12:37:12 PM »

I'd do it if my boss would let me go after 2 hrs of work!

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #208 on: March 18, 2015, 12:37:35 PM »

I'd do it if my boss would let me go after 2 hrs of work!
That's not all you would do!

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #209 on: March 18, 2015, 12:37:58 PM »

A little spit shine for...nevermind, I'll leave it alone.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27