jswaykos

« Reply #195 on: March 18, 2015, 12:03:02 PM »

If you want to stay in the $50-$55 range it's hard to top Balvenie 12 Doublewood IMO, also Macallan 12. The scotch I remember being really good in the $70-$80 range was the Cragganmore Distiller's Edition, finished in port casks

I would say $50 range is where I'm comfortable with scotch at the moment.  Give/take $10.  I'm seeing Uigedail in the mid $60s out here.  $55 in LA but with shipping it'd be the same as just getting it locally.

I've had the Aberlour Abunadh, Shaun, and really like it.  I like peat, and I like sherry finishes.  So I tend toward Islay scotches.  I tend to like things at a bit higher proof, too, at least for now as I add it to the bourbon mix.

I also have a bottle of Kilchoman Machir Bay to pick up today, too, that I got pretty cheap at a tasting.
I've always loved Laphroaig for a nice Islay choice. They have one that fits your description if you can get it at a discount: Laphroaig 10 Year Old Cask Strength

I've had it and really liked it, just a matter of finding it at a decent price.  Don't need to break the bank for anything since I've got plenty of other things to drink.

« Reply #196 on: March 18, 2015, 12:04:43 PM »

If you want to stay in the $50-$55 range it's hard to top Balvenie 12 Doublewood IMO, also Macallan 12. The scotch I remember being really good in the $70-$80 range was the Cragganmore Distiller's Edition, finished in port casks
Mac 10 Fine Oak is awesome too, on the mellow side - usually $45ish/bottle
Or save 72% on a ten'r of VS's.  Just sayin'
Thank you for that input Bean.
Not a big scotch drinker so trying to bring it back around to cigars.  Schitty ones, admittedly, but WTH.
Logged

Ogie

  • Founding Member
  • Junior Status
  • *
« Reply #197 on: March 18, 2015, 12:06:18 PM »

« Reply #198 on: March 18, 2015, 12:07:23 PM »

If you want to stay in the $50-$55 range it's hard to top Balvenie 12 Doublewood IMO, also Macallan 12. The scotch I remember being really good in the $70-$80 range was the Cragganmore Distiller's Edition, finished in port casks
Mac 10 Fine Oak is awesome too, on the mellow side - usually $45ish/bottle
Or save 72% on a ten'r of VS's.  Just sayin'
Thank you for that input Bean.
Not a big scotch drinker so trying to bring it back around to cigars.  Schitty ones, admittedly, but WTH.
At least use attractive bait.
Logged

Ogie

  • Founding Member
  • Junior Status
  • *
« Reply #199 on: March 18, 2015, 12:12:07 PM »

http://www.whisky-emporium.com/UK/Features/WhoOwnsWhat.htm
I recommend the indy stuff as well as Burn Stewart/Distell and Inver House.

« Reply #200 on: March 18, 2015, 12:12:09 PM »

[...]

I find that the $50-$55 threshold is where you separate the good stuff from the stuff you'll settle for that's decent for "everyday" type drinking. I keep a handle bottle of Jonnie Red for the everyday ($32) and go to Balvenie 12 for an excellent scotch. Above that price I consider a somewhat special purchase, where you really need to hone your taste to what you want to spend that kind of money on. Then the next level is like $70-$80 where you get into really interesting things but then, for me that's a once a year purchase
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #201 on: March 18, 2015, 12:16:22 PM »

[...]

I don't have a taste for the cheaper, everyday scotches.  I got plenty of great bourbons and ryes that I like much more in that range.  Scotch is more of a once a week drink for me at this point, so I don't mind spending just a little extra for something nicer.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #202 on: March 18, 2015, 12:18:33 PM »

OK, I'm outta here.  Boss asked for a ride to a car dealership to drop off his car and then a ride back to his place.  I'm going straight to the liquor store from there.  Enjoy the rest of the day, suckers.

« Reply #203 on: March 18, 2015, 12:21:43 PM »

OK, I'm outta here.  Boss asked for a ride to a car dealership to drop off his car and then a ride back to his place.  I'm going straight to the liquor store from there.  Enjoy the rest of the day, suckers.
Catch ya later Joe

« Reply #204 on: March 18, 2015, 12:26:25 PM »

OK, I'm outta here.  Boss asked for a ride to a car dealership to drop off his car and then a ride back to his place.  I'm going straight to the liquor store from there.  Enjoy the rest of the day, suckers.
Later Joe, you dog!

« Reply #205 on: March 18, 2015, 12:27:18 PM »

Later chauffeur Joe.

« Reply #206 on: March 18, 2015, 12:28:10 PM »

Pick up the dry cleaning and a little spit shine for the shoes too?

« Reply #207 on: March 18, 2015, 12:37:12 PM »

Pick up the dry cleaning and a little spit shine for the shoes too?
I'd do it if my boss would let me go after 2 hrs of work!

« Reply #208 on: March 18, 2015, 12:37:35 PM »

Pick up the dry cleaning and a little spit shine for the shoes too?
I'd do it if my boss would let me go after 2 hrs of work!
That's not all you would do!

« Reply #209 on: March 18, 2015, 12:37:58 PM »

Pick up the dry cleaning and a little spit shine for the shoes too?
A little spit shine for...nevermind, I'll leave it alone.