« Reply #180 on: January 19, 2016, 03:02:27 PM »

of course being cowardly/intelligent (choose your adjective) I was already halfway up the nearest tree.  biggest damn pig I ever saw!
Mmmmm, cinghiale!

« Reply #181 on: January 19, 2016, 03:03:45 PM »

@ Raz - AR ready for me to pick up!
Nice. Waiting for my check from my mother's estate. A friend has a killer deal for me on a Browning A-Bolt in .338 WinMag...if the check arrives in time.
What you huntin' with that .338?
Deer. Elk. Moose. Bear. Bigfoot. Democrats. Wait, NSA? I was just kidding about that last one.

Properly loaded, it's an all-round rifle, but powerful enough, if needed, for the big animals that tend to hunt back.
LOL, Raz that is a monster caliber not a deer rifle if you wish to eat the bounty.
For deer, it must be loaded down. 185 grain bullet. Yadda, yadda. A lot of guys use them up here for deer. But no, you don't do it with factory loads and 250 grain bullets.
YADAYADAYADADADADA I have heard all that load it to anything chit before, right there with a 30-06 is perfect for all game in North America if you load your own.......YaDAyaDAyaDa range talk.
Yeah, and at the same time the destructive capability of the big bullets is overblown too.  But my advisors have been doing this a long, long time all over Washington, Oregon, Montana and Alaska, and they know their chit.
There is no such thing as a universal perfect caliber..... just that simple.

« Reply #182 on: January 19, 2016, 03:07:39 PM »

[...]

The Youngest brother is the hunter in the family, It helps that he lives in Montana.  He has several different guns, but when he went to Ted Turner's spread, to take a bison(he didn't call it hunting, they just sort of stood out in a big field!), he decided he would use an antique black powder weapon, to make it a little more sporting.  you pay a couple of hundred to shoot the buffalo, then they go get it for you with a big truck.

« Reply #183 on: January 19, 2016, 03:09:14 PM »

[...]

110 - 220 whatever it takes....

« Reply #184 on: January 19, 2016, 03:11:26 PM »

[...]

Just like the King Ranch Fraud, except they have giant white tail deer.

« Reply #185 on: January 19, 2016, 03:11:53 PM »

[...]

No, there isn't. But there will only be one more rifle purchased this year and it has to cover medium and big. This was the consensus among my guides given the game, locations, and conditions. And like I said, they're vastly experienced at this, so I'm trusting them.
Logged

ss2

  • Summertime!!
Re: 1/19/2016
« Reply #186 on: January 19, 2016, 03:18:43 PM »

[...]

Hell, if your a good enough aim, you can bring down just about anything in North America with a damn .22, but you better hit it juuussst right!  Wouldn't have believed it but saw a guy bring down a wild hog with a .38 revolver.  once in the head didn't do any thing byt piss it off, once in the eye and it dropped like a stone.
Anything is possible but I am a major believer in the correct tool (no funnies from the wise-asses please) for the job and I ain't pissing no bear off with a .22 or a 400 pound Ferrell hog with a .38 nor am I blasting a deer with a .338 magnum unless  I need him and nothing else to pop him with. That is why they make all those nice calibers!
absolutely agree, right up there with bringing a knife to a gun fight.  we were target practicing in the woods in western VA.  I actually had a .22 pistol, and when i saw his first shot bounce off the damn pigs head i decided the tree looked like better odds then the .22 and a brave stance.  But I agree, if you are going Bear hunting at least take the .50 pistol...

« Reply #187 on: January 19, 2016, 03:20:00 PM »

[...]

I'm just fuk'n with you it is a very good large game caliber, I shot a deer with a .340 Weatherby Magnum one time long ago.
Logged

ss2

  • Summertime!!
Re: 1/19/2016
« Reply #188 on: January 19, 2016, 03:21:12 PM »

of course being cowardly/intelligent (choose your adjective) I was already halfway up the nearest tree.  biggest damn pig I ever saw!
Mmmmm, cinghiale!
freak of nature cinghiale up close.

« Reply #189 on: January 19, 2016, 03:21:29 PM »

of course being cowardly/intelligent (choose your adjective) I was already halfway up the nearest tree.  biggest damn pig I ever saw!
Mmmmm, cinghiale!
wild boar, tasty sauce!

« Reply #190 on: January 19, 2016, 03:21:36 PM »

@ Raz - AR ready for me to pick up!
Nice. Waiting for my check from my mother's estate. A friend has a killer deal for me on a Browning A-Bolt in .338 WinMag...if the check arrives in time.
What you huntin' with that .338?
Deer. Elk. Moose. Bear. Bigfoot. Democrats. Wait, NSA? I was just kidding about that last one.

Properly loaded, it's an all-round rifle, but powerful enough, if needed, for the big animals that tend to hunt back.
LOL, Raz that is a monster caliber not a deer rifle if you wish to eat the bounty.
i wouldn't use it on pheasant or grouse.
Hi Flip.  What exactly is a Grouse?  I guess they are unpleasant little beasties as when people are complaining alot they are told to quit their grousing.
Nope, just a pheasant/turkeyish kind of (mostly) ground bird.

« Reply #191 on: January 19, 2016, 03:22:02 PM »

Chit I am ready to go home but got about 45 more minutes.

« Reply #192 on: January 19, 2016, 03:23:43 PM »

of course being cowardly/intelligent (choose your adjective) I was already halfway up the nearest tree.  biggest damn pig I ever saw!
Mmmmm, cinghiale!
wild boar, tasty sauce!
When I was in college we used to shoot dem big-ass Ferrell hogs in da Louisiana piney woods.  .44 Magnum was quite effective.

« Reply #193 on: January 19, 2016, 03:24:22 PM »

@ Raz - AR ready for me to pick up!
Nice. Waiting for my check from my mother's estate. A friend has a killer deal for me on a Browning A-Bolt in .338 WinMag...if the check arrives in time.
What you huntin' with that .338?
Deer. Elk. Moose. Bear. Bigfoot. Democrats. Wait, NSA? I was just kidding about that last one.

Properly loaded, it's an all-round rifle, but powerful enough, if needed, for the big animals that tend to hunt back.
LOL, Raz that is a monster caliber not a deer rifle if you wish to eat the bounty.
i wouldn't use it on pheasant or grouse.
Hi Flip.  What exactly is a Grouse?  I guess they are unpleasant little beasties as when people are complaining alot they are told to quit their grousing.
Nope, just a pheasant/turkeyish kind of (mostly) ground bird.
bigger than a dove or partridge, have no idea what they taste like, have had pheasant, and pigeon though.

« Reply #194 on: January 19, 2016, 03:25:42 PM »

of course being cowardly/intelligent (choose your adjective) I was already halfway up the nearest tree.  biggest damn pig I ever saw!
Mmmmm, cinghiale!
wild boar, tasty sauce!
When I was in college we used to shoot dem big-ass Ferrell hogs in da Louisiana piney woods.  .44 Magnum was quite effective.
aren't they feral hogs, or are they related to Will Ferrell?  or do they have a proper name down there in Texas?