CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 36

Author Topic: 7/2/2014  (Read 103372 times)

BackyardSmoker

• Smoke is good
  • Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Back2Back
Re: 7/2/2014
« Reply #285 on: July 02, 2014, 02:21:29 PM »

Time for me to roll. Hope everyone enjoys the holiday, and that you get to enjoy plenty of good food and better smokes.

Hazzuh!

Later, Dave.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Summertime
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #286 on: July 02, 2014, 02:22:05 PM »

Another three deal day at JR Cigar's DDA.  Sheesh.  Not that I'm looking to buy anything but still... always kinda looking to buy something.
What's the deal?

What's the deal with no deals?  Who knows.  Grapefruit Sculpin available for growler fills at Ballast Point, want to try that.  I need to start leaving empty growlers in the car.
Lack of temptation is good for me right now.  I've bought more cigars in 2014 than in the previous 48 years of my life combined. 

Ah, who'm I kidding?  Probably going to order more Cubans today.  Didn't get to it yesterday.
What are you going to buy Bret ? .
Either the RyJ Short Churchills or the MC Petite #2s.  I'm resisting the urge to load up on all the Partagas I can get - I like Partagas, but I tell myself I really should explore some others.
Both good choices...smoke any Bolivars or Ramon Allones?
I have - the petit corona size in both, and one of the Bolivar Bellicosos Finos.  A box of ten of the Allones Superiores is tempting, but I'm suspicious that it won't be $2 per stick better than the Partagas.

This is all tortuous logic, because I haven't had the RyJ or MC Petite #2 either.  What odd logic we use when spending money.

The Partagas Shorts are ALWAYS "in stock" at my house, love those.

Tortuous logic indeed, especially when we get hung up on "just" $2.  Adds up quick when you're talking per stick, over a full box of cigars, but for any one cigar it's a trivial amount of money.  Like when we say something is good at $3 but not $3.50.  Really?  That 50¢ makes that much of a difference? 

Just buy 'em all and go on a hiatus until the next great deal surfaces.
Well, yeah, but we do have to draw lines somewhere.  A $2 increment in a bid on the devil might equate to $0.08-$0.10 per cigar, but I won't increment the bid just because it's the principle of the thing.  It's the same with other things.  On Saturday I took $80 with me to buy a motorcycle jack from a guy who was asking $90.  On the way I decided I was interested at $60 but no higher.  No good reason why.  It would have been a fair price at $80.  I just decided I wanted it at $60.  I got it at $60.  It becomes a question of what's trivial.  I used to measure it in packs of cigarettes - a pack of smokes was about $8 (when I quit).  So it was worth it to me to get $8 off something because that was a pack of smokes.  Now, $10 is a Tat Black CG and an EPC Short Run 2013.  Is that trivial?  Maybe, maybe not.

As for hiatuses, they're easier claimed than done.  >:(
Far too much thought and reasoning put into that....my head hurts from reading it.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #287 on: July 02, 2014, 02:22:46 PM »

Time for me to roll. Hope everyone enjoys the holiday, and that you get to enjoy plenty of good food and better smokes.

Hazzuh!
Hazzuh, Duffer...I mean, Golfin' Dave.

cigarbreath

• Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Why, I'd be delighted to put my needs last again!
« Reply #288 on: July 02, 2014, 02:23:47 PM »

BTW Joe, you mentioned earlier they now make a grapefruit Sculpin? Already has a fair citrus fruit flavor, no?

I think it's already citrusy so I'm curious to try it.  Might be brewery only, though, not sure if it'll be bottled.  Stone makes a Grapefruit Slam IPA and I love it.
Never saw the Stone Grapefruit

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/98387/
Oh it's one of those Projects, I've seen some of those but don't recall the grapefruit, I shall look
The Beer Channel...  Nope, the beerbanter!  And we could have our very own song - The Beerbanter Polka!  Woo hoo!  Prosit!
Do you mean Prost perchance CB?  I know, you're going phonetical.....
Prosit and prosit often.  Oh, and good for the 21.  I'll work on our local BOTL and see if we can get those slackers to show up.

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #289 on: July 02, 2014, 02:25:28 PM »

Another three deal day at JR Cigar's DDA.  Sheesh.  Not that I'm looking to buy anything but still... always kinda looking to buy something.
What's the deal?

What's the deal with no deals?  Who knows.  Grapefruit Sculpin available for growler fills at Ballast Point, want to try that.  I need to start leaving empty growlers in the car.
Lack of temptation is good for me right now.  I've bought more cigars in 2014 than in the previous 48 years of my life combined. 

Ah, who'm I kidding?  Probably going to order more Cubans today.  Didn't get to it yesterday.
What are you going to buy Bret ? .
Either the RyJ Short Churchills or the MC Petite #2s.  I'm resisting the urge to load up on all the Partagas I can get - I like Partagas, but I tell myself I really should explore some others.
Both good choices...smoke any Bolivars or Ramon Allones?
I have - the petit corona size in both, and one of the Bolivar Bellicosos Finos.  A box of ten of the Allones Superiores is tempting, but I'm suspicious that it won't be $2 per stick better than the Partagas.

This is all tortuous logic, because I haven't had the RyJ or MC Petite #2 either.  What odd logic we use when spending money.

The Partagas Shorts are ALWAYS "in stock" at my house, love those.

Tortuous logic indeed, especially when we get hung up on "just" $2.  Adds up quick when you're talking per stick, over a full box of cigars, but for any one cigar it's a trivial amount of money.  Like when we say something is good at $3 but not $3.50.  Really?  That 50¢ makes that much of a difference? 

Just buy 'em all and go on a hiatus until the next great deal surfaces.
Well, yeah, but we do have to draw lines somewhere.  A $2 increment in a bid on the devil might equate to $0.08-$0.10 per cigar, but I won't increment the bid just because it's the principle of the thing.  It's the same with other things.  On Saturday I took $80 with me to buy a motorcycle jack from a guy who was asking $90.  On the way I decided I was interested at $60 but no higher.  No good reason why.  It would have been a fair price at $80.  I just decided I wanted it at $60.  I got it at $60.  It becomes a question of what's trivial.  I used to measure it in packs of cigarettes - a pack of smokes was about $8 (when I quit).  So it was worth it to me to get $8 off something because that was a pack of smokes.  Now, $10 is a Tat Black CG and an EPC Short Run 2013.  Is that trivial?  Maybe, maybe not.

Far too much thought and reasoning put into that....my head hurts from reading it.

Agreed with what Bret said (I think) and also what Dave said, haha.  Like most things, what is and isn't trivial is subjective.  Doesn't change my advice to just buy it all and sort it out later!

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #290 on: July 02, 2014, 02:25:49 PM »

Hazzuh!

Later, Dave!  Enjoy your weekend.

sfish

« Reply #291 on: July 02, 2014, 02:26:04 PM »

Hazzuh!
You do the same, later Dave

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #292 on: July 02, 2014, 02:26:38 PM »

Maybe I overthink it.  But it's how I rationalize a lot of the cigars I buy.  "Damn, I just spent $69 on a box of 10 SD#4s.  Wait - I saved $30 on the motorcycle jack, so that's like getting the cigars for $39!"

Like I said...tortuous logic.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Summertime
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #293 on: July 02, 2014, 02:26:46 PM »

Hazzuh!
Get home and pound those stones!  Later Dave

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #294 on: July 02, 2014, 02:27:05 PM »

Hazzuh!
Get home and pound those stones!  Later Dave

Stone beers?  Or is that a different thread?

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Summertime
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #295 on: July 02, 2014, 02:28:29 PM »

Hey JWacky, came across an image that immediately reminded me of you.  You'll have to wait until I run my patriotic ones before I put it up, maybe Sunday or Monday.

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #296 on: July 02, 2014, 02:29:24 PM »

Maybe I overthink it.  But it's how I rationalize a lot of the cigars I buy.  "Damn, I just spent $69 on a box of 10 SD#4s.  Wait - I saved $30 on the motorcycle jack, so that's like getting the cigars for $39!"

Ha, yeah, I do kinda get what you're saying, and of course there needs to be a limit somewhere.  It's why auctions can be so successful.  What's one more dollar?  And then another?  And then last bid increase, I swear.  But just $1 more and you win!  It would never end, especially since you've already committed to the initial bid (and 'pre spending money), so just a couple bucks more feels like nothing.

Or something.

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #297 on: July 02, 2014, 02:29:49 PM »

Hey JWacky, came across an image that immediately reminded me of you.  You'll have to wait until I run my patriotic ones before I put it up, maybe Sunday or Monday.

Ha, ok.  Let me know when to turn avitars back on!

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #298 on: July 02, 2014, 02:30:33 PM »

Hazzuh!
Get that nut Dave!
Then you don't have to GFY!

Fred Bumpus

« Reply #299 on: July 02, 2014, 02:31:35 PM »

I like your thinking, it makes perfect sense to me. now where did you get those SD#4s?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 36