Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/7/2015
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 02:14:29 AM »

In 1990, President George H.W. Bush ordered U.S. troops and warplanes to Saudi Arabia to guard the oil-rich desert kingdom against a possible invasion by Iraq.

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/7/2015
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 02:14:58 AM »

In 1998, terrorist bombs at U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania killed 224 people, including 12 Americans.

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/7/2015
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 02:15:25 AM »

In 2000, Vice President and Democratic presidential candidate Al Gore selected Connecticut Sen. Joseph Lieberman as his running mate; Lieberman became the first Jewish candidate on a major party's presidential ticket.

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/7/2015
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2015, 02:15:51 AM »

Ten years ago: ABC News anchorman Peter Jennings died in New York at age 67. Seven people in a Russian mini-submarine trapped for nearly three days under the Pacific Ocean were rescued after a British remote-controlled vehicle cut away undersea cables that snarled their vessel. Israeli Finance Minister Benjamin Netanyahu resigned from his post to protest an upcoming withdrawal from the Gaza Strip and part of the West Bank.

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/7/2015
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2015, 02:16:14 AM »

Five years ago: Elena Kagan was sworn in as the 112th justice and fourth woman to serve on the U.S. Supreme Court. A healthy-looking Fidel Castro appealed to President Barack Obama to stave off global nuclear war in an address to parliament that marked his first official government appearance since emergency surgery four years earlier. Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, John Randle, Dick LeBeau, Rickey Jackson, Russ Grimm and Floyd Little were inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/7/2015
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2015, 02:16:40 AM »

One year ago: President Barack Obama authorized U.S. airstrikes in northern Iraq, warning they would be launched if needed to defend Americans from advancing Islamic militants and protect civilians under siege. President Obama signed a $16.3 billion measure aimed at helping veterans avoid long waits for health care. A jury convicted a suburban Detroit homeowner of second-degree murder and manslaughter in the killing of an unarmed woman on his porch, rejecting Theodore Wafer's claim that he was afraid for his life when he heard Renisha McBride pounding on his door in the middle of the night and had acted in self-defense. (Wafer was sentenced to at least 17 years in prison.)
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/7/2015
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2015, 02:17:16 AM »

Today's Birthdays: Magician, author and lecturer James Randi is 87. Former MLB pitcher Don Larsen is 86. Actress Verna Bloom is 77. Humorist Garrison Keillor is 73. Singer B.J. Thomas is 73. Singer Lana Cantrell is 72. FBI Director Robert Mueller is 71. Actor John Glover is 71. Actor David Rasche is 71. Former diplomat, talk show host and activist Alan Keyes is 65. Country singer Rodney Crowell is 65. Actress Caroline Aaron is 63. Comedian Alexei Sayle is 63. Actor Wayne Knight is 60. Rock singer Bruce Dickinson is 57. Marathon runner Alberto Salazar is 57. Actor David Duchovny is 55. Country musician Michael Mahler (Wild Horses) is 54. Actress Delane Matthews is 54. Actor Harold Perrineau is 52. Jazz musician Marcus Roberts is 52. Country singer Raul Malo is 50. Actor David Mann is 49. Actress Charlotte Lewis is 48. Actress Sydney Penny is 44. Actor Michael Shannon is 41. Actress Charlize Theron (shahr-LEES' THAYR'-ehn) is 40. Rock musician Barry Kerch (Shinedown) is 39. Actor Randy Wayne is 34. Actor-writer Brit Marling is 33.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/7/2015
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2015, 02:17:59 AM »

Thought for Today: "There are a lot of people who think our job is to reassure the public every night that their home, their community and their nation is safe. I don't subscribe to that at all. I subscribe to leaving people with essentially sorry it's a cliche a rough draft of history. Some days it's reassuring, some days it's absolutely destructive." - Peter Jennings (1938-2005).

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2015, 02:24:35 AM »

Mornin', Chip.

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2015, 02:25:28 AM »

Getting ready for a beach weekend in the travel trailer. I think I'm Banter-approved.

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/7/2015
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2015, 02:28:05 AM »

Scientific Fact
-------------------------

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in
waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the
frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses
and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed
ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Preosllnay I tinhk its cmolpete nenosnese......

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/7/2015
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2015, 02:28:40 AM »

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/7/2015
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 02:29:36 AM »

Getting ready for a beach weekend in the travel trailer. I think I'm Banter-approved.

First a Monday ride and now a long weekend, not a bad work week for you.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 8/7/2015
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2015, 02:30:52 AM »

Heart Attack
-------------------------

The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the
British or Americans.

The French eat a lot of fat and also suffer fewer heart attacks than the
British or Americans.

The Japanese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than
the British or Americans.

The Italians drink excessive amounts of red wine and also suffer fewer
heart attacks than the British or Americans.

The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and
suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.

CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently
what kills you.

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 02:31:57 AM »

Getting ready for a beach weekend in the travel trailer. I think I'm Banter-approved.

First a Monday ride and now a long weekend, not a bad work week for you.
Won't actually be a long weekend. Pulling the trailer to my Dr. appt in the morning, then going to work. The family will meet me in Olympia after #1 son gets off work, and we'll leave when I get off work.

But, yeah, it's been a pretty good week anyway.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17