Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2022, 10:07:15 AM »

« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2022, 10:09:34 AM »

still not able to post pictures.
Morning, Dean. Using a computer or smartphone?
smarter than me android phone.
Using Tapatalk?
I'll answer for him. Doesn't like and therefore, doesn't use Tapatalk. The issue with posting photos is a definition of paths on the forum software. They changed when they migrated me. It isn't so easy for me to change because I lost my SSH access to the Linux server. I need to do another round with the idiots at support. Tapatalk uses its own repository and is not affected.
thanks Tony. you're right. I tried Tapatalk in the beginning and just didn't care for it.
it's no big deal. really.

« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2022, 10:13:05 AM »

good and bad news. my dryer no longer drys; no heat. my new irons are out for delivery.
The repair might be an easy one if it's just a thermal fuse. Except getting to it is difficult enough even if you don't have RA.

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2022, 10:14:40 AM »

Morning, muchachos.

Weird dreams followed by insomnia.
So sorry to hear it, Raz. Did those dreams come from eating a late night snack?
Or some Elija Craig...
Just a swallow of Bushmills after dinner.

« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2022, 10:16:19 AM »

From the sounds of struggling cars I'm hearing outside, it seems our streets have still not been plowed.  >:( >:(
That's nuts. Don't you guys pay taxes there? WTF?
It IS nuts. And not only do I pay taxes, but I pay a lot more than I used to, since this is now listed as my work location as well as my residence.
I guess then you are allowed to write off these office expenses?
Don't really have any office expenses, since they gave me all the equipment I need. Would be nice to be able to get a tax refund for roads that can't be traversed, however. Lol
You can claim the "office"/room calculated as part (%) of the overall house cost.
But LTG isn't a contractor. He's an employee. Are you talking about the home office deduction? Last I checked, you couldn't do that as an employee. Did something change?

« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2022, 10:18:59 AM »

good and bad news. my dryer no longer drys; no heat. my new irons are out for delivery.
The repair might be an easy one if it's just a thermal fuse. Except getting to it is difficult enough even if you don't have RA.
I'll make a call later this afternoon for a repairman to look at it. could be just a solenoid.

« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2022, 10:25:28 AM »

From the sounds of struggling cars I'm hearing outside, it seems our streets have still not been plowed.  >:( >:(
That's nuts. Don't you guys pay taxes there? WTF?
It IS nuts. And not only do I pay taxes, but I pay a lot more than I used to, since this is now listed as my work location as well as my residence.
I guess then you are allowed to write off these office expenses?
Don't really have any office expenses, since they gave me all the equipment I need. Would be nice to be able to get a tax refund for roads that can't be traversed, however. Lol
You can claim the "office"/room calculated as part (%) of the overall house cost.
But LTG isn't a contractor. He's an employee. Are you talking about the home office deduction? Last I checked, you couldn't do that as an employee. Did something change?
And I don't itemize anyways, so it doesn't really matter. The standard deductions I get from being a homeowner and having 3 kids far outweighs anything I'd get otherwise.

« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2022, 10:39:07 AM »

Today's Over/Under is 3
SleeplessInSeattle Over/Under is 5

See how you overachievers do today.
Par.

« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2022, 10:40:03 AM »

still not able to post pictures.
Morning, Dean. Using a computer or smartphone?
smarter than me android phone.
Using Tapatalk?
I'll answer for him. Doesn't like and therefore, doesn't use Tapatalk. The issue with posting photos is a definition of paths on the forum software. They changed when they migrated me. It isn't so easy for me to change because I lost my SSH access to the Linux server. I need to do another round with the idiots at support. Tapatalk uses its own repository and is not affected.
But some of us have been able to post pictures. They don't scale, but they've posted.

« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2022, 10:57:33 AM »

Finally saw an actual city plow go by. About friggin' time.

« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2022, 11:08:43 AM »

From the sounds of struggling cars I'm hearing outside, it seems our streets have still not been plowed.  >:( >:(
That's nuts. Don't you guys pay taxes there? WTF?
It IS nuts. And not only do I pay taxes, but I pay a lot more than I used to, since this is now listed as my work location as well as my residence.
I guess then you are allowed to write off these office expenses?
Don't really have any office expenses, since they gave me all the equipment I need. Would be nice to be able to get a tax refund for roads that can't be traversed, however. Lol
You can claim the "office"/room calculated as part (%) of the overall house cost.
But LTG isn't a contractor. He's an employee. Are you talking about the home office deduction? Last I checked, you couldn't do that as an employee. Did something change?
And I don't itemize anyways, so it doesn't really matter. The standard deductions I get from being a homeowner and having 3 kids far outweighs anything I'd get otherwise.
Yup.

I checked again on the IRS site, and they explicitly say in IRS Tax Tip 2021-136 (September 15, 2021) that employees are not eligible to claim the home office deduction.  You have to be self-employed as a proprietor, partner, or corporate officer. Employees working remotely due to the pandemic do not qualify.

In any case, that deduction can be a pain if you sell your home, because of the recapture requirements.  So it's kind of a double-edged sword.

I used it pretty effectively for years doing contract work on the side, including tech consulting, various music gigs, and worship arts work for the church. But several years ago the church decided to put me on staff because the IRS kept tightening the rules about what qualified as a contractor.  My contract specified that I was not paid for rehearsing or playing music for worship services, only for the planning, coordination and artist development I did from the home office. But the tax advisers said that was a distinction that the IRS wasn't likely to recognize, which would have incurred penalties for the church. So they put me on staff and that leaves little time or flexibility to pursue other contract work. So now I've got two jobs and no home office deduction.

« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2022, 11:20:10 AM »

From the sounds of struggling cars I'm hearing outside, it seems our streets have still not been plowed.  >:( >:(
[...]

Remind me not to let TD do my taxes this year.

« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2022, 11:37:26 AM »

irons delivered. 😊

« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2022, 11:41:57 AM »

From the sounds of struggling cars I'm hearing outside, it seems our streets have still not been plowed.  >:( >:(
[...]

Well, I'm not a tax attorney, nor a certified preparer. Maybe TD knows some trick I don't.  But that Tax Tip is pretty clear.

That would have been a great deduction to give people for the pandemic - it provides tangible tax relief, applies even to renters, and if taken on an owned home the government gets to recapture when people sell their homes. Just let everyone claim it until the pandemic is over.

But Democrats don't like tax relief.  They like welfare.

« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2022, 11:50:22 AM »

irons delivered. 😊
We'll have to take your word for it without a pic. :D
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6