Houston names Major Applewhite its new head coach. Not Lane Kiffin. Probably for the best.
Kiffin is very good with the offense.  It remains to be seen whether he has truly learned his lessons as a head coach.  Think there is a risk in any case.

Agree he is an above average OC, but his track record as a head coach is near Patrino-ish... lots of baggage. I think he even rode the coat tails of his father to get some positions. That USC stint in particular. I think Houston was smart to just keep they guy they already knew. And besides, he was a former Texas Qb. So, he's got some home state interest.
With all this talk about getting big name coaches, I think most schools are better off bringing up and assistant.  They learned a lot from the coach that left (probably because he was good), know the school and system, know the players.  You can get them for less and they'll probably do better than most.  Recycling is overrated when it comes to coaches.

Evening CB.

With all this talk about getting big name coaches, I think most schools are better off bringing up and assistant.  They learned a lot from the coach that left (probably because he was good), know the school and system, know the players.  You can get them for less and they'll probably do better than most.  Recycling is overrated when it comes to coaches.
You can say the same about corporate america but they rarely promote from within. They usually pay a lot more by going outside and getting "fresh" but proven talent.

Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back

Time to get up on outta here. Ya'll enjoy your weekend!

Time to get up on outta here. Ya'll enjoy your weekend!
NO!!!

With all this talk about getting big name coaches, I think most schools are better off bringing up and assistant.  They learned a lot from the coach that left (probably because he was good), know the school and system, know the players.  You can get them for less and they'll probably do better than most.  Recycling is overrated when it comes to coaches.
You can say the same about corporate america but they rarely promote from within. They usually pay a lot more by going outside and getting "fresh" but proven talent.
Exactly, and they then move on for more money in two or three years leaving a wreck in their wake.

Have a good one Steve.

Diesel Uncuts up....a solid $3 cigar IMHO.

Time to get up on outta here. Ya'll enjoy your weekend!
NO!!!
Don't mind Antnee. He's just grouchy because the only thing going down on him is a lawn ornament.

Weight loss contest was on pause today.  Time for a cigar.

Diesel Uncuts up....a solid $3 cigar IMHO.
I loved the first few I had but then I began to find they were inconsistent. Will need to revisit. I know I have some but haven't seen them lately.

Time to get up on outta here. Ya'll enjoy your weekend!
NO!!!
Don't mind Antnee. He's just grouchy because the only thing going down on him is a lawn ornament.
Hahaha. Very true.

Weight loss contest was on pause today.  Time for a cigar.
This is the most productive I've seen you in a loooooooong time.

Weight loss contest was on pause today.  Time for a cigar.
No calories there.

Diesel Uncuts up....a solid $3 cigar IMHO.
I loved the first few I had but then I began to find they were inconsistent. Will need to revisit. I know I have some but haven't seen them lately.
I am with the Mayor except I smoked them all up and don't need a re-visit.