Author Topic: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014  (Read 221040 times)

jswaykos

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1800 on: July 22, 2014, 03:45:06 PM »

Video from Bret's last party with the boys:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyMXahpRVV4
Those are posers.  We do the song much better.

Yeah but they got paid more.
Not as much more as people would think.

Advertising is what I do, I have a general idea.  As 'actors' in a national commercial, I'll still go with more than you with regards to 'playing music'!

EDIT:  But generally speaking, no, these commercial actors are not 'rich'.  It's a hell of a way to grind out a living.
I know it's what you do, that's why I pointed it out.

On average, I net about $75/hour playing music.  That's because of some rare and unique circumstances - namely that one of my bands is very, very good and a lot of rich people know us and book us for weddings, corporate parties, etc. And we only play a few times a year.

If I was trying to make a living at it, that average would drop to about $10/hour and I'd be busting my ass.  It's feast or famine. If I could put the "good" band on the road, and have us playing every week, we could probably make pretty good money.  But the road will kill you and none of us wants to do it.  We like being the best band you never heard of.

So yeah, a commercial actor (celebrities don't count) can make more money, if they're getting SAG rates. But break it down per hour invested and it's not that much more.  And I have an easier time getting gigs.

One of these days we'll find something you're not the best ever at doing.

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1801 on: July 22, 2014, 03:49:04 PM »

[...]

Shiiiit.  You won't have to look hard.  I'm not the best ever at anything.  I just lucked into a band with a couple of really talented players and good chemistry.
Logged

ss2

  • Summertime!!
Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1802 on: July 22, 2014, 03:57:38 PM »

Video from Bret's last party with the boys:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyMXahpRVV4
Those are posers.  We do the song much better.
Ahhh, chemistry and a rock band!  A match made in heaven!

[...]

« Reply #1803 on: July 22, 2014, 03:58:51 PM »

[...]

TYhis is not may day for posting I guess.  What i was trying to say is Chemistry and rock bands are a match made in heaven.
Logged

DesertRat

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • {***}
Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1804 on: July 22, 2014, 04:00:12 PM »

[...]

Shit happens.

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1805 on: July 22, 2014, 04:01:37 PM »

[...]

Fuggin noobs!  :P
Logged

jswaykos

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1806 on: July 22, 2014, 04:04:22 PM »

Great couple of posts, Sam.

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1807 on: July 22, 2014, 04:09:28 PM »

Great couple of posts, Sam.
He may not post real good, but he does have green stars!
Logged

ss2

  • Summertime!!
Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1808 on: July 22, 2014, 04:14:10 PM »

Great couple of posts, Sam.
Thanks,  been working at it.  tomorrow I learn to use the mouse.
Logged

DesertRat

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • {***}
Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1809 on: July 22, 2014, 04:14:25 PM »

[...]

Shit, forgot it was Tuesday for a second there.......
Logged

ss2

  • Summertime!!
Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1810 on: July 22, 2014, 04:15:39 PM »

Great couple of posts, Sam.
BTW,  been meaning to mention, looking at your post quantity,  I think I want a job in advertising too.   :P
Logged

jswaykos

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1811 on: July 22, 2014, 04:23:19 PM »

Great couple of posts, Sam.
BTW,  been meaning to mention, looking at your post quantity,  I think I want a job in advertising too.   :P

It's a good gig if you can get it, haha.  I'm on the way out, though.  Enough is enough.  Interviewing for an internship elsewhere next week.  I'll be totally pissing away any and all discretionary booze and cigar funds for a while but it'll pay off in the end.

PM if you're interested in anything more than that, not gonna bore everyone else with the details.  And if you're not interested I don't blame ya!  Because it's fairly boring.

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1812 on: July 22, 2014, 04:24:09 PM »

Video from Bret's last party with the boys:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyMXahpRVV4
Those are posers.  We do the song much better.

Yeah but they got paid more.
Bazinga!.....ouch
Logged

ss2

  • Summertime!!
Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1813 on: July 22, 2014, 04:26:12 PM »

Great couple of posts, Sam.
BTW,  been meaning to mention, looking at your post quantity,  I think I want a job in advertising too.   :P

It's a good gig if you can get it, haha.  I'm on the way out, though.  Enough is enough.  Interviewing for an internship elsewhere next week.  I'll be totally pissing away any and all discretionary booze and cigar funds for a while but it'll pay off in the end.

consider yourself pm'd

PM if you're interested in anything more than that, not gonna bore everyone else with the details.  And if you're not interested I don't blame ya!  Because it's fairly boring.
Logged

ss2

  • Summertime!!
Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1814 on: July 22, 2014, 04:26:47 PM »

sheesh, still can't get it right.