« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2016, 01:13:57 PM »

Morning SpiffyTVBD.
Good morning Dave(s).....   And yes, I've been playing with the tv.  I've been watching a few movies.  I borrowed a Blu-ray from my son and have compared it to some of my old regular dvds.  I was surprised to see that my old dvds look pretty darn good compared to the Blu-ray dvd.  Both the tv and the Blu-ray player have upconvert.  The Blu-ray upconverts to 4k, so I guess it's doing it's job.  So far I've watched The Dar Knight Rises (Blu-ray), and regular dvds, Tombstone, The Wild Bunch, and the new Vacation.  I haven't make any adjustmest to the picture yet, just straight out of the box, and without knowing all the bells and whistles yet, I've been pretty happy.  Now, do I want to try 3D...?  I'd need glasses and a movie.  If I try 3D, I'm thinking about Titanic or Pacific Rim.  Anyway, that's on the back burner at the moment.
when I built the media room in the new finished basement, I went with 7.1 sound and ran 25 foot hdmi and component cables to the new 42in LG 1080p set.  did not think of running straight rg58 cable.  I was more concerned with the high def qualities of the set.  did run a 25 audio cable though, so I can run the tv without the stereo just from the cable box, or I can switch to HDMI inputs for either the receiver (blue-ray, cable box-hdmi, Wii) or HDMI2 Google chromecast for netflix.  movies look & sound awesome.  Wiring before putting up the flat screen.
Nice.....  My old dvd player had optical out.  So I took that wire and hooked it to the tv optical out, and now have 5.1 when watching Netflix.  My new dvd player only had coax audio, so I bought a coax audio cable and hooked that to my Onkyo surround sound.  It sounds great.  I hope the neighbors can't hear it... (oops)
Seems Dad is quite the sound magician!

« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2016, 01:17:49 PM »

Dow up 277 currently.
Didn't see your earlier post Tex...just anxious to be sharin' the good news.
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 1/26/2016
« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2016, 01:22:38 PM »

My wife is on vacation this week, so I'm not sure what we'll be up to.  Probably nothing.  I think she's so wore out from working nights that she just wants the break to relax.  Later Saturday night a guy asked her to do a price check on an item.  While she was doing that, he sneaks out the door and the alarm goes off.  She followed him to the parking lot, and told him to give back the items, about $26 worth of liquor.  He wouldn't stop and just kept walking across a very large parking lot.  She yelled, "bring it back or they are going to get you."  She dialed 911, as he was getting into a waiting SUV.  She gave the directions, and description of the SUV and what the guy was wearing.  The police pulled him right over, and found the liquor with the security caps still on them.  My wife asked the police if she would have to go to court, and they said, "I don't think so, this guy has some many police reports against him that this one will be the one to send him to prison.  I can't understand that.  She offered the guy the chance to just give it back and walk away, but now it looks like prison for only $26.
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 1/26/2016
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2016, 01:29:19 PM »

[...]
Right.... :)  I reconnect 2 wires and now I'm a technologies expert.  That sounds like my wife.  Years ago I bought a 35mm camera, so everyone we ran into at birthday and family parties, if they had a problem with their camera my wife would say, "Oh my husband knows all about cameras...!" And they would come to me for help...  This went on for 20 years.  I told her, "I know how to put film into my camera, stop telling people I'm a camera expert..!"  The same thing happened when I bought a 286 computer.  Can you imagine how many of her friends she forwarded to me as being a computer expert... errrr!!!!!

« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2016, 01:29:29 PM »

Dow up 277 currently.
Didn't see your earlier post Tex...just anxious to be sharin' the good news.
Guess we are just both bored to tears!
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 1/26/2016
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2016, 01:56:04 PM »

Time for a break... bbl (maybe)

« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2016, 02:23:18 PM »

[...]
Probably likes prison, knows most of the folks there, three square, gym, cable, all free.

« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2016, 02:24:05 PM »

Dow up 277 currently.
Didn't see your earlier post Tex...just anxious to be sharin' the good news.
Guess we are just both bored to tears!
Not a whole lot of news otherwise.
Oh, there is one...

« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2016, 02:27:40 PM »

Houston Grand Jury indicts two behind Planned Parenthood smear video.
...oops, they didn't see that one coming....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/01/25/planned-parenthood-videos-grand-jury-indictment/79318450/

« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2016, 02:33:26 PM »

I been shopping retirement property to build on.
Logged

ss2

  • Summertime!!
Re: 1/26/2016
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2016, 02:35:02 PM »

Houston Grand Jury indicts two behind Planned Parenthood smear video.
...oops, they didn't see that one coming....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/01/25/planned-parenthood-videos-grand-jury-indictment/79318450/
Huh, planned Parenthood has some juice further up the food chain it seems.
Logged

ss2

  • Summertime!!
Re: 1/26/2016
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2016, 02:35:31 PM »

I been shopping retirement property to build on.
Thought you were moving to SC.

« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2016, 02:35:53 PM »

Lord have mercy on us, started raining and the 2 IT idiots hauled ass. :(

« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2016, 02:44:00 PM »

I been shopping retirement property to build on.
Thought you were moving to SC.
I am but got to have some place to move to!

« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2016, 02:44:46 PM »

Houston Grand Jury indicts two behind Planned Parenthood smear video.
...oops, they didn't see that one coming....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/01/25/planned-parenthood-videos-grand-jury-indictment/79318450/
Huh, planned Parenthood has some juice further up the food chain it seems.
Yeah, it is called the White House.