Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2023, 06:19:51 PM »

I've only had the game on for a couple of minutes and I'm already sick of the Chiefs.
I actually stopped in at Tinderbox while the wife was at the home store. Chief's scored in the first 3 minutes? Anyhow, I picked up one attic series from West tampa at New York state tax 23 bucks but want to try.
Yikes!

« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2023, 06:19:55 PM »

I've only had the game on for a couple of minutes and I'm already sick of the Chiefs.
The plus side is that I'm watching the game because the youngest is making dinner.
Sweet. Maybe she'll become a chef.

I'm at game #2 on the day. We're up 25-5 at the end of the first half.

We lost our first game, 20-30.
Really clamping down on defense this game.
That game ended 46-26. Then later, I found out they have a stupid rule that you can't win by more than 20. So every time we scored, they added points to both teams. How freaking stupid is that?

« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2023, 06:22:22 PM »

We're heading an hour away to a friend's place for dinner. See yuz later.

« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2023, 07:18:27 PM »

I've only had the game on for a couple of minutes and I'm already sick of the Chiefs.
The plus side is that I'm watching the game because the youngest is making dinner.
Sweet. Maybe she'll become a chef.

I'm at game #2 on the day. We're up 25-5 at the end of the first half.

We lost our first game, 20-30.
Really clamping down on defense this game.
That game ended 46-26. Then later, I found out they have a stupid rule that you can't win by more than 20. So every time we scored, they added points to both teams. How freaking stupid is that?
I'll be honest, that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2023, 07:19:56 PM »

Am I a sore loser to hate that KC is no 1 seed in AFC?
I hope my boys come out to play tomorrow. It's been a rough couple of weeks in Buffalo

« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2023, 07:20:36 PM »

We're heading an hour away to a friend's place for dinner. See yuz later.
Enjoy your dinner. I went out for steak at Texas Roadhouse

« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2023, 09:03:50 PM »

Am I a sore loser to hate that KC is no 1 seed in AFC?
I hope my boys come out to play tomorrow. It's been a rough couple of weeks in Buffalo
No, cause I hate them being the 1 seed and I don't have a dog in the fight anymore.

« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2023, 09:14:07 PM »

A little something out of Rick's playback.

« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2023, 09:43:18 PM »

John Bolton, former Drumpf National Security Advisor, announces (on Good Morning Britain, of all places) that he will run for president in 2024.
John Bolton is a very smart guy, and not remotely the alien monster the media bills him as.  But this will go nowhere.

Bolton is a blunt instrument - a club wrapped in barbed wire.  He's a power-player who will get down in the dirt, and an administrative machine who knows what kind of scheming, blackmail, and intimidation it takes to manage a bureaucracy successfully.  On an administrative level, he'd be a great president.  But he'll never get the chance because a guy like Bolton makes a lot of enemies and victims, but very few friends.  He is the antithesis to Joe Biden - Bolton is always firing on all cylinders, he's disciplined, stays on message, and he's both more honest and a better liar than Joe.  But Joe Biden is living proof (living, at least, from toes to shoulders) of what being a back-slapping deal-maker with no particular principles will get you.

So Bolton won't get anywhere near sitting at the big desk.  But he's goddam well-qualified for it.
I honestly don't know much about him, but I do know there's no chance he ends up the nominee. I'd be very surprised if it's anyone other than DeSantis.
Yale-educated, Summa Cum Laude.  Took a student deferment while in college, then enlisted in the National Guard for four years and Army Reserve for two. Completed Yale Law while in the Guard. Has freely admitted since 1995 that he enlisted in the National Guard upon graduation in 1970 because it reduced the odds he'd be sent to Vietnam.  He'd supported the war, but decided that the Johnson and Nixon administrations had so bolloxed it that it was a futile struggle so he did what he could to avoid it.  Unlike George W Bush, Bolton didn't have the protection of a powerful daddy (his dad was a fireman, mom a homemaker), and unlike anyone including Joe Biden (5 deferments before being "medicaled" because he'd had asthma as a child), he cops to avoiding Vietnam.

The guy is not a "statesman," if that word has any meaning anymore.  The Washington establishment fears him because of his integrity and his bluntness.  You can disagree with his principles and convictions, but it cannot be denied by any remotely objective analysis that he has them and has a long history of refusing to compromise them.  He's pissed off not only Democrats, but has without fail pissed off the Republican presidents for which he's worked, including both W and Trump.

He's a foreign policy hawk, and unabashedly convinced that American foreign policy should pursue American interests first.  That got him associated with the Neocons, but he isn't remotely a Neocon - and the real Neocons will tell you so, because they hated him too.

Bolton is the only DC guy I'm aware of that takes a realistic view of the nature of foreign relations and admits it. He sees foreign relations as a war that must be fought because there is no stasis to be achieved. A nation either expands its influence on the world, or it will be controlled by the nations that do. And he believes that the United States is uniquely qualified to influence the world. I have a lot of sympathy for this view, because China and Russia aren't qualified for it and no other nations are even in the race.

Bolton's appeal to me is that he won't conceal his views under happy horseshit like "peaceful coexistence" or "detente" or "a thousand points of light" or "compassionate conservatism." He's a realist. But that is also why he'll never be president.  He scares people.  Especially politicians.  Foreign politicians above all.
He sounds like quite the character.
Well, he ain't dumb, and he ain't wishy-washy, and he doesn't bend over for anybody, so yeah...I guess that makes him a stark contrast in the political sphere since 1989.
If we're counting him in the non-dumb crowd, that probably means he wouldn't do something like ask his wife's psychic for help with foreign relations decisions, so we can push that date back to 1981.
No, that's bullshit, David, and you know it. Nancy did what Nancy did, but that had nuthin' and I mean NUTHIN' to do with Ron. And if you try to paste that shit on, I'm gonna call you on it. You weren't even paying attention in those days.

Ronald Reagan had to answer for what he did, but the astrology thing is bullshit, and you know it, or should.

Don't go there. You're better than that.

« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2023, 11:20:29 PM »

[...]

You can call out whatever makes you feel better, there's plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest it did happen. But if you'd like to continue living in a world where you believe it didn't, I can't say anything to talk you out of it.

I swear, if I live to be 100, I'll never understand the Republican obsession with Reagan.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]