Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2022, 02:01:08 PM »

CAO Zocalos arrived today from the Place. Might have to give one a test drive tonight.

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2022, 02:14:57 PM »

Got some work to do to get to page 3, even if Raz does sleep in.
Well, I tried to give us a good start.
Though I did err factually - twice - in my post about the Smith & Wesson 3914.

Okay, call it one-and-a-half.

First, my 3914 is not a Ladysmith. The 3914LS "Ladysmith" came later than mine, and while it has the same model number, the guns are not identical. The frame of the LS is shaped differently.

Second, the fictitious Dee Dee McCall did not carry a 3914, as the show predated the 3914. Det. McCall carried a Walther PPK/S, mostly.  Not sure how I got it in my head that she carried the 3914.
Ladysmith is engraved on the gun, is is not? (for the Ladysmith model)
Could be.  I've never looked closely at one.  The Ladysmith is distinctly identifiable by the steeper, straighter angle of the frame from trigger guard to muzzle.  That was a design concession that made the gun simpler and cheaper to manufacture, but made the gun uglier - in my opinion.

I have a soft spot for a number of the Smith & Wesson semiautos from the 20th century.  The nice thing about collecting them is that so many were manufactured and they were so durable that they can be obtained pretty economically now.  I frequently find them for less than $400, though lately, like everything, the price has increased.  Eventually, the collector value will go up, as they represent a distinctive and immediately identifiable aesthetic.

In the 20th century and the early years of the 21st, handgun manufacturers gave their handguns distinctive shapes.  By 2010, the popularity of the polymer "Plastic Fantastics" had engendered a race to the bottom - cookie-cutter guns with no distinctive visual appeal.  There were a number of reasons for that, but it was still sad.  It's starting to turn around now, somewhat.

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2022, 02:21:41 PM »

Hazzuh!

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2022, 02:21:46 PM »

Got some work to do to get to page 3, even if Raz does sleep in.
Well, I tried to give us a good start.
Though I did err factually - twice - in my post about the Smith & Wesson 3914.

Okay, call it one-and-a-half.

First, my 3914 is not a Ladysmith. The 3914LS "Ladysmith" came later than mine, and while it has the same model number, the guns are not identical. The frame of the LS is shaped differently.

Second, the fictitious Dee Dee McCall did not carry a 3914, as the show predated the 3914. Det. McCall carried a Walther PPK/S, mostly.  Not sure how I got it in my head that she carried the 3914.
Ah, late night, couple fingers of bourbon...it happens.
So glad you weren't as concerned with the facts as you were yesterday.   ;)
It was Irish, actually.

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2022, 05:33:17 PM »

On to tomorrow.

Wordle 479 5/6

⬛⬛⬛🟨⬛
⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2022, 05:53:17 PM »

Angela Lansbury, dead at 96.

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2022, 06:54:31 PM »

Nope for Heardle, don't know artist or song.
Same here.

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2022, 06:55:39 PM »

Angela Lansbury, dead at 96.
That makes me sad. I was having coffee out of my Angela Lansbury mug today, in fact.

« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2022, 07:02:58 PM »

On to tomorrow.

Wordle 479 5/6

⬛⬛⬛🟨⬛
⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wordle 479 3/6

⬛⬛⬛🟨🟩
⬛🟨⬛⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2022, 07:08:26 PM »

Angela Lansbury, dead at 96.
That makes me sad. I was having coffee out of my Angela Lansbury mug today, in fact.
This I gotta see.

« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2022, 07:08:34 PM »

Wordle 479 4/6*

⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
🟨⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛🟨⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2022, 07:10:49 PM »

Angela Lansbury, dead at 96.
That makes me sad. I was having coffee out of my Angela Lansbury mug today, in fact.
This I gotta see.
I'll take a photo tomorrow. It's the mug I keep in the office.

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2022, 07:16:16 PM »

Angela Lansbury, dead at 96.
That makes me sad. I was having coffee out of my Angela Lansbury mug today, in fact.
This I gotta see.
I'll take a photo tomorrow. It's the mug I keep in the office.
I can't wait.

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2022, 09:09:03 PM »

CAO Zocalo

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2022, 09:21:03 PM »

Since I started this day of banter pontificating about handguns, I might as well finish the day doing the same.

This is arguably the most beautiful gun I own, all things considered.

It's a SIG Sauer P220 Equinox, in .45 ACP.

I say "arguably" because wheelgun enthusiasts scoff at the "ugliness" of semiauto pistols, like 1911 enthusiasts scoff at Glocks, and Glock enthusiasts scoff at Smith & Wessons, and so on. It's all subjective.

But this sidearm represents the intersection of German engineering and aesthetics with American sentiment. It is the firearms equivalent of putting a small-block V8 engine into a Porsche. It's the Joan Crawford of guns - an elegant and refined exterior that becomes a complete whore if you get her in the backseat. The hooker with the heart of gold.

Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5