CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: 1/22/2015  (Read 41537 times)

sfish

Re: 1/22/2015
« Reply #180 on: January 22, 2015, 11:28:38 AM »

Morning, all!  I see we're talking booze shopping already...
Morning Joe...meant to ask last time you were on for 30 minutes: Is your son still playing/enjoying ice hockey?

Morning, Scott.  He is.  We're taking a session off - it's Friday night and by then he's just exhausted from the week.  But we've gone to a couple San Diego State hockey games now, and he's still talking about starting back up himself with the next session.  He showed a bit of progress by the end of the last session, which was good.  He's finally getting brave enough to really try to move quickly on the ice.

That's good, I love that sport. He will progress quickly from there which is fun to watch. It's great when they start to score goals, THEN figure out how to pass. The goals always come first unfortunately but before long they show signs of actually understanding the game

I need to watch more hockey. I don't really understand all the intricacies and rules so there are lots of questions I can't answer at the games. I'm surprised it's stuck as long as it has, to be honest. He liked the guys getting slammed in to the walls at the game, which I thought for SURE would scare him away from ever wanting to play again, but it didn't seem to.

Two simple things at this level:

Offsides: The puck has to cross the opponent's blue line before any offensive player. If the puck comes back out across the blue line during a possession, all offensive players need to exit the zone and start over

Icing: The puck must cross the red line (center ice) before it can be "dumped" or played across the opponents goal line

Those are the 2 reasons for 95% of stopages

sfish

« Reply #181 on: January 22, 2015, 11:30:33 AM »

Morning Joe...meant to ask last time you were on for 30 minutes: Is your son still playing/enjoying ice hockey?

Morning, Scott.  He is.  We're taking a session off - it's Friday night and by then he's just exhausted from the week.  But we've gone to a couple San Diego State hockey games now, and he's still talking about starting back up himself with the next session.  He showed a bit of progress by the end of the last session, which was good.  He's finally getting brave enough to really try to move quickly on the ice.

That's good, I love that sport. He will progress quickly from there which is fun to watch. It's great when they start to score goals, THEN figure out how to pass. The goals always come first unfortunately but before long they show signs of actually understanding the game
Not unlike baseball.
Exactly, my son is 9 and just showing signs of both

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #182 on: January 22, 2015, 11:30:42 AM »

I need to watch more hockey. I don't really understand all the intricacies and rules so there are lots of questions I can't answer at the games. I'm surprised it's stuck as long as it has, to be honest. He liked the guys getting slammed in to the walls at the game, which I thought for SURE would scare him away from ever wanting to play again, but it didn't seem to.

Offsides: The puck has to cross the opponent's blue line before any player. If the puck comes back out across the blue line during a possession, all offensive players need to exit the zone and start over

Icing: The puck must cross the red line (center ice) before it can be "dumped" or played across the opponents goal line

Ah, never quite understood icing. For now he just gets mad when the players aren't following the rules and have to go to "time out". Thankfully his hockey is more of a clinic still, and not as much actual hockey being played.

sfish

« Reply #183 on: January 22, 2015, 11:35:23 AM »

Offsides: The puck has to cross the opponent's blue line before any player. If the puck comes back out across the blue line during a possession, all offensive players need to exit the zone and start over

Ah, never quite understood icing. For now he just gets mad when the players aren't following the rules and have to go to "time out". Thankfully his hockey is more of a clinic still, and not as much actual hockey being played.

I hear ya, this past year has been tough for both baseball and hockey. Baseball went from coach-pitch to kid pitch...excrutiating! Hockey went from cross-ice to full ice with rules...lots of whistles. It seems they kind of get over the hump at this age in both sports

flip from jersey

• Founding Member
  • Endeared Status
  • We don't need no stinking apple, give me my Gurkha
« Reply #184 on: January 22, 2015, 11:50:36 AM »

WTF are they selling at CI?  I was looking for something and came across the following:

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/gourmet/85355/game-day-salami-collection/#p-164078

And there were other weird things like maple syrup and such.  ???
they already sell flavored cigars, why not salami.... ::)

flip from jersey

• Founding Member
  • Endeared Status
« Reply #185 on: January 22, 2015, 11:58:21 AM »

WTF are they selling at CI?  I was looking for something and came across the following:

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/gourmet/85355/game-day-salami-collection/#p-164078

And there were other weird things like maple syrup and such.  ???
How about that....when Purpfish was talking about hiding the salami, I didn't know he was talking about CI.
Hey! The Chorizo has a nice mouth-feel. I can't wait until this stuff is available on Jams!
can't go on the jams, special $15 shipping fee (for perishable Items). besides it's not cluttering up their warehouse, it's drop shipped from iGourmet. It takes extra time.

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #186 on: January 22, 2015, 12:14:31 PM »

Fried chicken for lunch - 110% chance I eat too much today.

flip from jersey

• Founding Member
  • Endeared Status
« Reply #187 on: January 22, 2015, 12:21:10 PM »

just had a burger for lunch, going to a wine bar for tapas this evening....

sfish

« Reply #188 on: January 22, 2015, 12:21:50 PM »

I'd have a very hard time not eating too much fried chicken myself

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #189 on: January 22, 2015, 12:25:27 PM »

Throw a little hot sauce on there and I'm fucked - shit is like crack cocaine!

flip from jersey

• Founding Member
  • Endeared Status
« Reply #190 on: January 22, 2015, 12:26:51 PM »

it's just a matter of willpower and self conditioning.  take a normal portion then walk away.  I buy the 12 piece box at Popeye's and will be more than satisfied with just two pieces.

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #191 on: January 22, 2015, 12:27:40 PM »

it's just a matter of willpower and self conditioning.  take a normal portion then walk away.  I buy the 12 piece box at Popeye's and will be more than satisfied with just two pieces.
Doesn't sounds very American to act that way Flip, you feeling ok?   ;)

flip from jersey

• Founding Member
  • Endeared Status
« Reply #192 on: January 22, 2015, 12:32:45 PM »

one little quad bypass, and you learn behavior modification.  been close to 17 years, and theses days i'm down 35 lbs from about a year ago.  enjoy everything in moderation.  Eat what I want, but don't go overboard.  besides, I'd rather have a dozen oysters than a bucket of chicken.   ::)

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #193 on: January 22, 2015, 12:33:20 PM »

Well, he isn't a commie. He took ten pieces that he didn't need. 

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #194 on: January 22, 2015, 12:34:55 PM »

one little quad bypass, and you learn behavior modification.  been close to 17 years, and theses days i'm down 35 lbs from about a year ago.  enjoy everything in moderation.  Eat what I want, but don't go overboard.  besides, I'd rather have a dozen oysters than a bucket of chicken.   ::)
I'd like the dozen oysters with the bucket of chicken.  And a couple of beers please.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18