Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

In 1939, the Cole Porter musical comedy "Du Barry Was a Lady" opened on Broadway.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

1947, Everglades National Park in Florida was dedicated by President Harry S. Truman.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

In 1957, America's first attempt at putting a satellite into orbit failed as Vanguard TV3 rose about four feet off a Cape Canaveral launch pad before crashing down and exploding.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

In 1964, the animated puppet special "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," now a Christmas perennial, first aired on NBC-TV.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

In 1971, the original Auto-Train, which carried rail passengers and their motor vehicles from Lorton, Virginia, to Sanford, Florida, went into operation. (Although the privately owned line went out of business in 1981, Amtrak revived the service in 1983.)
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

In 1989, 14 women were shot to death at the University of Montreal's school of engineering by a man who then took his own life.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Ten years ago: Militants struck the U.S. Consulate in Jiddah, Saudi Arabia with explosives and machine guns, killing nine people in an attack claimed by al-Qaida. Ohio certified President George W. Bush's 119,000-vote victory over Democratic nominee John Kerry, even as the Kerry campaign and third-party candidates prepared to demand a statewide recount. A dozen expensive homes under construction in Indian Head, Maryland, were deliberately burned down. (Five men either pleaded guilty or were convicted in the case; prosecutors had cited a variety of motives, including anger by some of the white perpetrators that most of the new homeowners were black.)
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Five years ago: President Barack Obama visited the U.S. Senate during a rare Sunday session to rally Democrats behind closed doors on a health care overhaul. The Kennedy Center Honors lauded jazz great Dave Brubeck, rocker Bruce Springsteen, actor Robert De Niro, comic genius Mel Brooks and opera singer Grace Bumbry.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

One year ago: A day after Nelson Mandela's death at 95, South Africans of all colors erupted in song, dance and tears in emotional celebrations of the life of the man who had bridged the country's black-white divide and helped avert a race war. The Fender Stratocaster that Bob Dylan played at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival was sold at Christie's for nearly $1 million — the highest price ever paid for a guitar at auction.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Today's Birthdays: Comedy performer David Ossman is 78. Actor Patrick Bauchau is 76. Country singer Helen Cornelius is 73. Actor James Naughton is 69. Former Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood is 69. Rhythm-and-blues singer Frankie Beverly (Maze) is 68. Former Sen. Don Nickles, R-Okla., is 66. Actress JoBeth Williams is 66. Actor Tom Hulce is 61. Actor Kin Shriner is 61. Actor Wil Shriner is 61. Actor Miles Chapin is 60. Rock musician Rick Buckler (The Jam) is 59. Comedian Steven Wright is 59. Country singer Bill Lloyd is 59. Singer Tish Hinojosa is 59. Rock musician Peter Buck (R.E.M.) is 58. Rock musician David Lovering (Pixies) is 53. Actress Janine Turner is 52. Rock musician Ben Watt (Everything But The Girl) is 52. Writer-director Judd Apatow is 47. Rock musician Ulf "Buddha" Ekberg (Ace of Base) is 44. Writer-director Craig Brewer is 43. Actress Colleen Haskell is 38. Actress Lindsay Price is 38. Actress Ashley Madekwe is 33. Actress Nora Kirkpatrick is 30. Christian rock musician Jacob Chesnut (Rush of Fools) is 25.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Thought for Today: "Disconnecting from change does not recapture the past. It loses the future." — Kathleen Norris, American author (1880-1960).
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Marriage Rules
-------------------------

Typical macho man married a typical good-looking lady and after the
wedding, he laid down the following rules:
"I'll be home when I want, if I want and at what time I want-and I don't
expect any hassle from you. I expect a great dinner to be on the table
unless I tell you that I won't be home for dinner. I'll go hunting,
fishing, boozing and card-playing when I want with my old buddies and
don't you give me a hard time about it. Those are my rules. Any
comments?"

His new bride said, "No, that's fine with me. Just understand that there
will be sex here at seven o'clock every night... whether you're here or
not."
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!