CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: 8/29/2017  (Read 11322 times)

flip from jersey

• Founding Member
  • Endeared Status
  • We don't need no stinking apple, give me my Gurkha
Re: 8/29/2017
« Reply #120 on: August 29, 2017, 03:53:42 PM »

Department cookout today, which means it's time to head down for the cornhole tourney. Not quote a retirement day, but I'll take it. Back later.
Cornhole tourney?   :o
it's this game they play in the Midwest with plywood, and a cutout hole, and tossed beanbags.
not the stonewall tavern event.
We call that beanbag toss.  But they also call soda "pop" up there, so whatever.
Whatever you call it, we got 2 wins, then got beat. Not complaining though, cause after the rain passed, it started to get quite humid out there. Lol

Bean, this one is for you:

I can understand Florida, but WTF with Missouri and even more with Wisconsin?  How could those be Team Soda?
maybe they didn't have a critical mass of soda jerks, in local drug stores to call it
soda pop.  they could have been drinking beer, and sarsaparilla,
till they saw a national TV campaign that called the stuff soda.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Summertime
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2017, 04:15:27 PM »

Department cookout today, which means it's time to head down for the cornhole tourney. Not quote a retirement day, but I'll take it. Back later.
it's this game they play in the Midwest with plywood, and a cutout hole, and tossed beanbags.
We call that beanbag toss.  But they also call soda "pop" up there, so whatever.
Whatever you call it, we got 2 wins, then got beat. Not complaining though, cause after the rain passed, it started to get quite humid out there. Lol

I can understand Florida, but WTF with Missouri and even more with Wisconsin?  How could those be Team Soda?
maybe they didn't have a critical mass of soda jerks, in local drug stores to call it
Who you callin' a soda jerk old man?

cigarbreath

• Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Why, I'd be delighted to put my needs last again!
« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2017, 04:39:45 PM »

A sweet water chemist?

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #123 on: August 29, 2017, 04:54:47 PM »

Holy shit balls, who broke the banter?
Nevermind. My refresh wasn't working and I couldn't see any posts in the last 3 hours. I see them fine now.
Yeah, well now YOU broke it. ;-)
Sorry.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #124 on: August 29, 2017, 04:57:01 PM »

Left a bit early today. 1st day of school.

cigarbreath

• Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
« Reply #125 on: August 29, 2017, 04:57:49 PM »

A sweet water chemist?
A old pop fart?

cigarbreath

• Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
« Reply #126 on: August 29, 2017, 05:09:17 PM »

For you?

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #127 on: August 29, 2017, 05:11:09 PM »

For you?
Yes. Taking a class two nights a week until the end of the year to help me pass the Project Management certification.

cigarbreath

• Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
« Reply #128 on: August 29, 2017, 05:20:36 PM »

For you?
Yes. Taking a class two nights a week until the end of the year to help me pass the Project Management certification.
Cool.  Onward and upward to bigger and better things.  PM Antnee.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Summertime
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #129 on: August 29, 2017, 05:27:49 PM »

Home with a Laranja and French Roast to fend off the chill....65 degrees, sheesh.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #130 on: August 29, 2017, 05:29:24 PM »

It was the Arabs that gave us the term, in medieval times. They used the word Suwwad for a salt-rich coastal plant (saltwort) that could be burned to produce what we call soda ash for soaps. In medieval Latin and Italian it became soda, which first appears in a French medical guide describing a bubbly liquid concoction in 1558.

Pop was added on in the late 19th century when bottled individual servings began to be available, as a pun - it was a prepared serving (as in a 'hit' or a 'slug' or...a 'pop') and the cork made a popping sound when it was pulled.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Summertime
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #131 on: August 29, 2017, 05:32:53 PM »

Looks like Joel Osteen doesn't want to get his megachurch dirty with all these flood refugees.  Don't want it to look bad for Sunday's telecasts I guess.

cigarbreath

• Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
« Reply #132 on: August 29, 2017, 05:37:15 PM »

It was the Arabs that gave us the term, in medieval times. They used the word Suwwad for a salt-rich coastal plant (saltwort) that could be burned to produce what we call soda ash for soaps. In medieval Latin and Italian it became soda, which first appears in a French medical guide describing a bubbly liquid concoction in 1558.

Pop was added on in the late 19th century when bottled individual servings began to be available, as a pun - it was a prepared serving (as in a 'hit' or a 'slug' or...a 'pop') and the cork made a popping sound when it was pulled.
…for medicinal purposes only.  Actually could get Coca Cola syrup from your local pharmacist's.

Short stack

• Founding Member
  • Junior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #133 on: August 29, 2017, 05:48:33 PM »

Looks like Joel Osteen doesn't want to get his megachurch dirty with all these flood refugees.  Don't want it to look bad for Sunday's telecasts I guess.
//Saw some photos showing auditorium under water

sfish

« Reply #134 on: August 29, 2017, 05:51:25 PM »

Hey Tony, thanks for the Eiroa you gave me when we got together, smoked it in OBX and loved it. Will look to buy some
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10