shank

  • Junior Status
  • *
« Reply #165 on: January 13, 2017, 02:54:48 PM »

Anyone had the La Traviata Maduro? Down to only a couple normal LTs left. Contemplating which to buy. Both?  ???

« Reply #166 on: January 13, 2017, 02:55:55 PM »

Alright. So what are the best deals on the page now????

Is this a trick question?

Ha. Nope. Just looking for the wisdom of folks that are familiar with more labels than me!
Most of the ones I have smoked are really not stellar deals, save for the La Traviata I mentioned, which seems pretty good.

The Hemingway's Tx brought up earlier are a great smoke @$4/stick. I honestly stopped looking when I hit the Laranja deal. Gotta keep it "relatively" in the budget.  ;)

If you let us know a few you like, we can eyeball a few for a deal somewhere. Otherwise, you'll end up getting deals and smoking what we like... which would't be a bad thing necessarily. Haha

Cigars I enjoyed around the early 2010s but haven't had lately:
DPG Blue
DPG JJ
RP Sungrown
GH 3 Siglos/3 SLS for a good cheapie knock-around
Camacho Pre-Emgargo
RP 1990 and 92

Some I've enjoyed lately:
La Traviata
Padilla 1932 black
RP Royal Vintage
601 blue
601 green
601 red
AB Tempus
AB Connie
AB Sungrown

Quite a range, really. My tastes probably aren't particularly refined, but there are definitely cigars I like more than others, and some I don't care for. Having had good experience with the GH 3 SLS years ago I bought a sampler recently, and have not been impressed--a little loose, hot burning, uneventful flavor. I enjoyed the Room 101 LMII PC at first, but the last couple have excited me less. I thought I liked the LGC, but bought some wavels and was not entirely excited; I must have had it confused for something different I smoked previously, but will revisit.
Man, hard for me to offer you much help, that is almost a list of my less than favorite smokes but that does not mean others should think that way at all.  If you like 601's (I do like those)then you might try the LaBomba line.  LaPalina a ththe Sister today should definitely be worth a try and that is a pretty good deal.  Most folks enjoy the AF Hemmingway line and the Page has a few nice deals today.

Just a tip at no charge:  These days Most of the advertised deals and daily deals are not very good deals at all even if they happen to be good cigars.  From time to time the Mash will have a good deal or two on good smokes.

Logged

shank

  • Junior Status
  • *
« Reply #167 on: January 13, 2017, 02:59:27 PM »

Ah, I DO like the La Bamba. I'll probably give the LaPalinas a go, then.

If the daily deals are not so good, how do we score good deals? Devil? I was trying with MMAO at CI a few weeks ago and got shot down with a "cold" reply at near Joe prices...  :-\
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 1/13/2017
« Reply #168 on: January 13, 2017, 03:01:18 PM »

Alright. So what are the best deals on the page now????

Is this a trick question?

Ha. Nope. Just looking for the wisdom of folks that are familiar with more labels than me!
Most of the ones I have smoked are really not stellar deals, save for the La Traviata I mentioned, which seems pretty good.

btw, I enjoy the La Traviata as well. Mostly the little ninfas. That was a recommendation from Joe on the CI Banter a ways back. Now, I'd probably go with the Surrogates Cracker Crumbs as a preferred option for relatively the same price range (on sale). When the MCII papi chulos were going on deals, the best being a box of 50 for $60... those where a no brainer.

Just checked out the Cracker Crumbs. Looking at my preferred list from the early 2010s it seems the might be enjoyable for me.
What's a good price for those? $13.50 a fiver at CI seems a little high for a small smoke.

I've been picking them off the FamousBid for @$9-$10 a pack, but if you just want to try, $13.50 may not be too bad without getting into the auction site cost averaging rabbit hole discussed earlier up the thread. If you find you like them and want a larger qty, the same auction has 50/$92 pretty regular. That's only about $10 more than the 50 ninfa's I used to get at CigarPlace.

« Reply #169 on: January 13, 2017, 03:02:30 PM »

Time for appointment, to all that I won't chat with over the weekend have a good one, smoke 'em if you got 'em!
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 1/13/2017
« Reply #170 on: January 13, 2017, 03:02:53 PM »

Anyone had the La Traviata Maduro? Down to only a couple normal LTs left. Contemplating which to buy. Both?  ???

I know Golf likes 'em. He actually bought some from the Page before. Would have to ask him the price...

« Reply #171 on: January 13, 2017, 03:02:53 PM »

Ah, I DO like the La Bamba. I'll probably give the LaPalinas a go, then.

If the daily deals are not so good, how do we score good deals? Devil? I was trying with MMAO at CI a few weeks ago and got shot down with a "cold" reply at near Joe prices...  :-\
Usually we stumble up on them here and there and between us we find quite a few and post them here.
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 1/13/2017
« Reply #172 on: January 13, 2017, 03:04:36 PM »

Alright. So what are the best deals on the page now????

Is this a trick question?

Ha. Nope. Just looking for the wisdom of folks that are familiar with more labels than me!
Most of the ones I have smoked are really not stellar deals, save for the La Traviata I mentioned, which seems pretty good.

btw, I enjoy the La Traviata as well. Mostly the little ninfas. That was a recommendation from Joe on the CI Banter a ways back. Now, I'd probably go with the Surrogates Cracker Crumbs as a preferred option for relatively the same price range (on sale). When the MCII papi chulos were going on deals, the best being a box of 50 for $60... those where a no brainer.
Other option would be taking a look at the auction sites....but they are also dangerous.

...and you could get outbid by someone you "thought" was a friend. AmIRight, Scott?

« Reply #173 on: January 13, 2017, 03:05:43 PM »

Ah, I DO like the La Bamba. I'll probably give the LaPalinas a go, then.

If the daily deals are not so good, how do we score good deals? Devil? I was trying with MMAO at CI a few weeks ago and got shot down with a "cold" reply at near Joe prices...  :-\
Deal shopping requires a lot of patience and Free Shipping is a major factor when buying small quantities.

« Reply #174 on: January 13, 2017, 03:06:21 PM »

Alright. So what are the best deals on the page now????

Is this a trick question?

Ha. Nope. Just looking for the wisdom of folks that are familiar with more labels than me!
Most of the ones I have smoked are really not stellar deals, save for the La Traviata I mentioned, which seems pretty good.

btw, I enjoy the La Traviata as well. Mostly the little ninfas. That was a recommendation from Joe on the CI Banter a ways back. Now, I'd probably go with the Surrogates Cracker Crumbs as a preferred option for relatively the same price range (on sale). When the MCII papi chulos were going on deals, the best being a box of 50 for $60... those where a no brainer.
Other option would be taking a look at the auction sites....but they are also dangerous.

...and you could get outbid by someone you "thought" was a friend. AmIRight, Scott?
And SFish could be their name too!

« Reply #175 on: January 13, 2017, 03:07:54 PM »

@ Shank - I sent you a PM
Logged

shank

  • Junior Status
  • *
« Reply #176 on: January 13, 2017, 03:09:07 PM »

@ Shank - I sent you a PM

10-4. Got it and replied. Thanks.
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 1/13/2017
« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2017, 03:09:42 PM »

Ah, I DO like the La Bamba. I'll probably give the LaPalinas a go, then.

If the daily deals are not so good, how do we score good deals? Devil? I was trying with MMAO at CI a few weeks ago and got shot down with a "cold" reply at near Joe prices...  :-\
Deal shopping requires a lot of patience and Free Shipping is a major factor must when buying small quantities.

small edit. lol
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 1/13/2017
« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2017, 03:11:44 PM »

[...]

It could, but I was referring to that Atlantic Rep DG of Ewing, NJ  ;)

« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2017, 03:12:18 PM »

Ah, I DO like the La Bamba. I'll probably give the LaPalinas a go, then.

If the daily deals are not so good, how do we score good deals? Devil? I was trying with MMAO at CI a few weeks ago and got shot down with a "cold" reply at near Joe prices...  :-\
Deal shopping requires a lot of patience and Free Shipping is a major factor must when buying small quantities.

small edit. lol
LOL, no argument from me