shank

  • Junior Status
  • *
« Reply #150 on: January 13, 2017, 02:20:02 PM »

Alright. So what are the best deals on the page now????

Is this a trick question?

Ha. Nope. Just looking for the wisdom of folks that are familiar with more labels than me!
Most of the ones I have smoked are really not stellar deals, save for the La Traviata I mentioned, which seems pretty good.
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 1/13/2017
« Reply #151 on: January 13, 2017, 02:26:44 PM »

Alright. So what are the best deals on the page now????

Is this a trick question?

Ha. Nope. Just looking for the wisdom of folks that are familiar with more labels than me!
Most of the ones I have smoked are really not stellar deals, save for the La Traviata I mentioned, which seems pretty good.

The Hemingway's Tx brought up earlier are a great smoke @$4/stick. I honestly stopped looking when I hit the Laranja deal. Gotta keep it "relatively" in the budget.  ;)

If you let us know a few you like, we can eyeball a few for a deal somewhere. Otherwise, you'll end up getting deals and smoking what we like... which would't be a bad thing necessarily. Haha

« Reply #152 on: January 13, 2017, 02:26:55 PM »

Alright. So what are the best deals on the page now????
Nothing that I have interest in buying.  As for lines that I don't follow, can't really say.  In any case, I don't think there is anything there currently that is a gotta-jump-on-it bargain.
Other than that, some OK offers on CI Clearance, La Palina or LGC's at the Sis, Sub Zero sampler at Smoke Inn may be considered.
Logged

ss2

  • Summertime!!
Re: 1/13/2017
« Reply #153 on: January 13, 2017, 02:29:41 PM »

Aren't es-ploding cigars because they are too moist? Can't be that because you said they were in a travel humi... which I think would have the opposite effect. Too humid in the car?
I always thought it was a "too dry" issue with the wrapper
I actually do have humidification in the portable. Like I mentioned in the previous post, other cigars in there are fine. This Luminosa was in the celo before it was lit.
Could just be shitty construction.
Very true.  used to buy the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet and even leaving the sleeve on it, the wrapper would disintegrate very quickly if you didn't handle it with kid gloves.
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 1/13/2017
« Reply #154 on: January 13, 2017, 02:33:26 PM »

Alright. So what are the best deals on the page now????

Is this a trick question?

Ha. Nope. Just looking for the wisdom of folks that are familiar with more labels than me!
Most of the ones I have smoked are really not stellar deals, save for the La Traviata I mentioned, which seems pretty good.

btw, I enjoy the La Traviata as well. Mostly the little ninfas. That was a recommendation from Joe on the CI Banter a ways back. Now, I'd probably go with the Surrogates Cracker Crumbs as a preferred option for relatively the same price range (on sale). When the MCII papi chulos were going on deals, the best being a box of 50 for $60... those where a no brainer.

« Reply #155 on: January 13, 2017, 02:33:30 PM »

Aren't es-ploding cigars because they are too moist? Can't be that because you said they were in a travel humi... which I think would have the opposite effect. Too humid in the car?
I always thought it was a "too dry" issue with the wrapper
I actually do have humidification in the portable. Like I mentioned in the previous post, other cigars in there are fine. This Luminosa was in the celo before it was lit.
Could just be shitty construction.
Can't say that is something I have seen from Crowned Heads cigars in the past.

« Reply #156 on: January 13, 2017, 02:34:24 PM »

Alright. So what are the best deals on the page now????

Is this a trick question?

Ha. Nope. Just looking for the wisdom of folks that are familiar with more labels than me!
Most of the ones I have smoked are really not stellar deals, save for the La Traviata I mentioned, which seems pretty good.

btw, I enjoy the La Traviata as well. Mostly the little ninfas. That was a recommendation from Joe on the CI Banter a ways back. Now, I'd probably go with the Surrogates Cracker Crumbs as a preferred option for relatively the same price range (on sale). When the MCII papi chulos were going on deals, the best being a box of 50 for $60... those where a no brainer.
Other option would be taking a look at the auction sites....but they are also dangerous.
Logged

shank

  • Junior Status
  • *
« Reply #157 on: January 13, 2017, 02:35:45 PM »

Alright. So what are the best deals on the page now????

Is this a trick question?

Ha. Nope. Just looking for the wisdom of folks that are familiar with more labels than me!
Most of the ones I have smoked are really not stellar deals, save for the La Traviata I mentioned, which seems pretty good.

The Hemingway's Tx brought up earlier are a great smoke @$4/stick. I honestly stopped looking when I hit the Laranja deal. Gotta keep it "relatively" in the budget.  ;)

If you let us know a few you like, we can eyeball a few for a deal somewhere. Otherwise, you'll end up getting deals and smoking what we like... which would't be a bad thing necessarily. Haha

Cigars I enjoyed around the early 2010s but haven't had lately:
DPG Blue
DPG JJ
RP Sungrown
GH 3 Siglos/3 SLS for a good cheapie knock-around
Camacho Pre-Emgargo
RP 1990 and 92

Some I've enjoyed lately:
La Traviata
Padilla 1932 black
RP Royal Vintage
601 blue
601 green
601 red
AB Tempus
AB Connie
AB Sungrown

Quite a range, really. My tastes probably aren't particularly refined, but there are definitely cigars I like more than others, and some I don't care for. Having had good experience with the GH 3 SLS years ago I bought a sampler recently, and have not been impressed--a little loose, hot burning, uneventful flavor. I enjoyed the Room 101 LMII PC at first, but the last couple have excited me less. I thought I liked the LGC, but bought some wavels and was not entirely excited; I must have had it confused for something different I smoked previously, but will revisit.
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 1/13/2017
« Reply #158 on: January 13, 2017, 02:38:57 PM »

Aren't es-ploding cigars because they are too moist? Can't be that because you said they were in a travel humi... which I think would have the opposite effect. Too humid in the car?
I always thought it was a "too dry" issue with the wrapper
I actually do have humidification in the portable. Like I mentioned in the previous post, other cigars in there are fine. This Luminosa was in the celo before it was lit.
Could just be shitty construction.
Can't say that is something I have seen from Crowned Heads cigars in the past.

Agree'd. Huber seems to put out quality products even if you don't care for the profile. That said, there could always be one line that is manufactured differently that has issues. i.e. Uncle Lee's

« Reply #159 on: January 13, 2017, 02:44:44 PM »

Alright. So what are the best deals on the page now????

Is this a trick question?

Ha. Nope. Just looking for the wisdom of folks that are familiar with more labels than me!
Most of the ones I have smoked are really not stellar deals, save for the La Traviata I mentioned, which seems pretty good.

btw, I enjoy the La Traviata as well. Mostly the little ninfas. That was a recommendation from Joe on the CI Banter a ways back. Now, I'd probably go with the Surrogates Cracker Crumbs as a preferred option for relatively the same price range (on sale). When the MCII papi chulos were going on deals, the best being a box of 50 for $60... those where a no brainer.
Other option would be taking a look at the auction sites....but they are also dangerous.
Which is why cbid is referred to as the devil.
Logged

shank

  • Junior Status
  • *
« Reply #160 on: January 13, 2017, 02:48:54 PM »

Alright. So what are the best deals on the page now????

Is this a trick question?

Ha. Nope. Just looking for the wisdom of folks that are familiar with more labels than me!
Most of the ones I have smoked are really not stellar deals, save for the La Traviata I mentioned, which seems pretty good.

btw, I enjoy the La Traviata as well. Mostly the little ninfas. That was a recommendation from Joe on the CI Banter a ways back. Now, I'd probably go with the Surrogates Cracker Crumbs as a preferred option for relatively the same price range (on sale). When the MCII papi chulos were going on deals, the best being a box of 50 for $60... those where a no brainer.
Other option would be taking a look at the auction sites....but they are also dangerous.

Ya. Easy to get carried away and overspend and overpay!

« Reply #161 on: January 13, 2017, 02:49:29 PM »

[...]

Based on that, to possibly broaden your horizon, consider offerings by CLE, EP Carrillo and AJ Fernandez.  They frequently come up in Jams and other offers and are overall pleasant smokes.  Like any line, of course there are some that are great and a few dogs, but overall pleasant cigars.  CI regularly offers AJ items like Diesel, Man o War, Relic, Ave Maria and his independent lines that are a bit more expensive but very enjoyable like San Lotano.
Logged

shank

  • Junior Status
  • *
« Reply #162 on: January 13, 2017, 02:50:30 PM »

Alright. So what are the best deals on the page now????

Is this a trick question?

Ha. Nope. Just looking for the wisdom of folks that are familiar with more labels than me!
Most of the ones I have smoked are really not stellar deals, save for the La Traviata I mentioned, which seems pretty good.

btw, I enjoy the La Traviata as well. Mostly the little ninfas. That was a recommendation from Joe on the CI Banter a ways back. Now, I'd probably go with the Surrogates Cracker Crumbs as a preferred option for relatively the same price range (on sale). When the MCII papi chulos were going on deals, the best being a box of 50 for $60... those where a no brainer.

Just checked out the Cracker Crumbs. Looking at my preferred list from the early 2010s it seems the might be enjoyable for me.
What's a good price for those? $13.50 a fiver at CI seems a little high for a small smoke.

« Reply #163 on: January 13, 2017, 02:52:38 PM »

About that time. Hazzuh!
Logged

shank

  • Junior Status
  • *
« Reply #164 on: January 13, 2017, 02:53:29 PM »

[...]

Got it. Thanks. I do like the MOW and Ruination. Been meaning to get on the Diesel. I'll have to get on that. Almost bought them yesterday on Joes. I thought the price went up during the day though and didn't follow through. I could have been wrong, but didn't want to get suckered anyway! Haha.