« Reply #300 on: January 11, 2016, 02:42:40 PM »

I don't want to seem negative but the price of oil is nearing a disaster level!   $31.30/barrel down $1.86 today  and the lowest price since 2003.

Sounds great for filling up your gas tank but there is a limit how low gas can go regardless of the price of oil because refining costs are so high these days.
Which is why OPEC is willing to loose money and drive the prices down to punish the upstart US market.
When I was a kid, it was called a gas war.  It drove the gas down to an affordable price, and the American Public loved it.  When I filled up the other day, a woman bought $2 worth of gas, and a guy bought $1.76.  I'm sure they are hoping that gas goes back up to $145 a barrel.
Those gas wars were retailers playing games not oil drillers and producers, had virtually nothing to do with the price of oil.
when I grouse about the way oil pricing is handled, it's not at the workers, producers or gas station owners.  it's the leaders of the major companies that make all of the money and screw all of us to do it.  the same people screwing their own workers I might add and taking home millions of dollars in "bonuses" while complaining that they can't make any money in the industry.
Think you could pretty much plug any industry in there and come up with the same observation.
So the sooner you recognize it for what it is, roll up your sleeves, put your mudders, accept it and plow forward, the better off you'll be.
LOL, did THAT 30 some years ago.  but doesn't mean I have to like it or those that perpetrate it.
True for sure.
You also don't have to just bend over and take it, you can make intelligent decisions to manage the situations as best as possible.
Logged

ss2

  • Summertime!!
Re: 1/11/2016
« Reply #301 on: January 11, 2016, 02:46:42 PM »

[...]

well, I usually refer back to the Who line in The Punk Meets the Godfather.  whole line is to long for here but is relevant,  last part of it goes '...breathe the air we have blown you'.  We do what you said before, roll up our sleeves and put on our mudders.
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 1/11/2016
« Reply #302 on: January 11, 2016, 02:51:44 PM »

I finally tried that Aging Room Small Batch M356 Rondo, aged 7 weeks without its wrapper, last night.  It was relaxing, as I always enjoy, but it mostly just tasted like aged tobacco very slightly on the strong side.  One dimensional without any added flavors.  It went out twice, and needed a couple of minor corrections.  Over all, I'd rate it, "I'd take one if some one gave it to me, but I'm not going to buy any."  Any other thoughts out there..?
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 1/11/2016
« Reply #303 on: January 11, 2016, 03:13:47 PM »

I went to Best Buy the other day to buy a new DVD player.  I went into the tv department where I was approached by a young salesman.  He asked me if he could help me and I replied, "I would like to buy a new DVD player."  He said, "What...?"  Again I said, "I would like to buy a new DVD player."  He looked at me and shook his head and said, "I'm sorry, but I don't know what you are talking about..?"  I said, "I think I'm saying it right, it's a DVD player.  You put little DVD movies into it, and you can watch movies on your tv.."  He said, "Oh....., you want a Blue Ray Player...!"

It's really starting to get weird.  The older I get the faster my words are become obsolete, and causing me a big communications problem.

I think the next time this happens to me, I'm going to say, "Aaaaaa, the new word for DVD player is Blue Ray.  What do they call Pussy..?"

« Reply #304 on: January 11, 2016, 03:15:54 PM »

I finally tried that Aging Room Small Batch M356 Rondo, aged 7 weeks without its wrapper, last night.  It was relaxing, as I always enjoy, but it mostly just tasted like aged tobacco very slightly on the strong side.  One dimensional without any added flavors.  It went out twice, and needed a couple of minor corrections.  Over all, I'd rate it, "I'd take one if some one gave it to me, but I'm not going to buy any."  Any other thoughts out there..?

That sounds about right. What do you mean you smoked it without the wrapper though? Are you referring to the cellophane?

« Reply #305 on: January 11, 2016, 03:18:19 PM »

I went to Best Buy the other day to buy a new DVD player.  I went into the tv department where I was approached by a young salesman.  He asked me if he could help me and I replied, "I would like to buy a new DVD player."  He said, "What...?"  Again I said, "I would like to buy a new DVD player."  He looked at me and shook his head and said, "I'm sorry, but I don't know what you are talking about..?"  I said, "I think I'm saying it right, it's a DVD player.  You put little DVD movies into it, and you can watch movies on your tv.."  He said, "Oh....., you want a Blue Ray Player...!"

It's really starting to get weird.  The older I get the faster my words are become obsolete, and causing me a big communications problem.

I think the next time this happens to me, I'm going to say, "Aaaaaa, the new word for DVD player is Blue Ray.  What do they call Pussy..?"

That's weird. As far as I know, they're still called DVDs. Blu-ray is a bit different. I suspect your salesperson was a dick.

« Reply #306 on: January 11, 2016, 03:28:58 PM »

[...]

Me too.   I asked for a simple straight forward small sized DVD Player for Christmas to watch my old b&w tv show dvd's on and Warden picked me up a sony one somewhere but it was just wha ti needed.  Play, FF, Back-Up and stop with a simple remote, hdmi slot and only an inch or so thick and about a foot wide at most.
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 1/11/2016
« Reply #307 on: January 11, 2016, 03:32:56 PM »

[...]

If you were at Best Buy, he was a dick. lol
Although, with the pending Ultra HD on it's way, Blueray is probably the safer option since standard DVD's will soon be obsolete. You can still play standard definition on Blueray, and most will up-convert them.

« Reply #308 on: January 11, 2016, 03:34:33 PM »

I finally tried that Aging Room Small Batch M356 Rondo, aged 7 weeks without its wrapper, last night.  It was relaxing, as I always enjoy, but it mostly just tasted like aged tobacco very slightly on the strong side.  One dimensional without any added flavors.  It went out twice, and needed a couple of minor corrections.  Over all, I'd rate it, "I'd take one if some one gave it to me, but I'm not going to buy any."  Any other thoughts out there..?
Many of the Aging Room receive very favorable reviews by "the biz" including people who I generally agree with.  I thought them very ordinary with no particularly interesting features and below average construction and burn.  Just as with the Stogie Guys article for today, different tastes!
http://www.stogieguys.com/2016/01/01112016-commentary-checking-the-year-end-cigar-lists.html

« Reply #309 on: January 11, 2016, 03:35:21 PM »

[...]

+1 on the Dick if at Best Buy

« Reply #310 on: January 11, 2016, 03:43:42 PM »

[...]

They are all DVD's.  There are subformats/variants like Blu-Ray, 3D, Ultraviolet etc.  Blu-Ray presents a higher resolution than regular DVDs and generally costs a few dollars more.  Being as you never got around to getting the new TV, Blu-Ray difference would not be perceptible to you.

Just like going to the movie theater and choosing between regular, 3D, Imax, RealD, 3D Imax HD and whatever.
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 1/11/2016
« Reply #311 on: January 11, 2016, 03:44:12 PM »

Tonight's supper: Meat & Potatoes.
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 1/11/2016
« Reply #312 on: January 11, 2016, 03:49:58 PM »

I finally tried that Aging Room Small Batch M356 Rondo, aged 7 weeks without its wrapper, last night.  It was relaxing, as I always enjoy, but it mostly just tasted like aged tobacco very slightly on the strong side.  One dimensional without any added flavors.  It went out twice, and needed a couple of minor corrections.  Over all, I'd rate it, "I'd take one if some one gave it to me, but I'm not going to buy any."  Any other thoughts out there..?

That sounds about right. What do you mean you smoked it without the wrapper though? Are you referring to the cellophane?
Yes, I removed the cellophane before placing it into the humidor for 7 weeks of aging.  It was the 5 Vegas Gold that I had to scotch tape the outer Connecticut wrapper back on before smoking it.
Logged

ss2

  • Summertime!!
Re: 1/11/2016
« Reply #313 on: January 11, 2016, 03:54:06 PM »

[...]

Along with that, I'd like to meet the individuals who also gave us dvdr + and dvdr-   and made THEM differenf for some reason, along with blu ray and death ray and ray ray.... sheesh.
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 1/11/2016
« Reply #314 on: January 11, 2016, 03:55:11 PM »

[...]

Actually, the salesman was pretty nice.  He seemed honestly to have not understood the term.  He also smelled very nice, but I figured I'd keep that to myself.  After I left I could still smell him for the remainder of the day.  I guess I must have been standing too close...?