Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/25/2015
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 04:44:03 AM »

In 1956, the Italian liner Andrea Doria collided with the Swedish passenger ship Stockholm off the New England coast late at night and began sinking; at least 51 people were killed.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/25/2015
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 04:44:45 AM »

In 1975, the musical "A Chorus Line" opened on Broadway at the Shubert Theatre, beginning a run of 6,137 performances.

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/25/2015
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2015, 04:45:16 AM »

In 1985, a spokeswoman for Rock Hudson confirmed that the actor, hospitalized in Paris, was suffering from AIDS. (Hudson died in October 1985.)

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/25/2015
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2015, 04:45:54 AM »

In 1994, Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin and Jordan's King Hussein (hoo-SAYN') signed a declaration at the White House ending their countries' 46-year-old formal state of war.

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/25/2015
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2015, 04:46:37 AM »

In 2000, a New York-bound Air France Concorde crashed outside Paris shortly after takeoff, killing all 109 people on board and four people on the ground; it was the first-ever crash of the supersonic jet.

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/25/2015
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2015, 04:47:19 AM »

Ten years ago: The AFL-CIO splintered as the Service Employees International Union and the Teamsters announced they were leaving the labor federation. Cpl. Dustin Berg, an Indiana National Guard soldier, pleaded guilty to negligent homicide in the death of an Iraqi police officer (Berg was later sentenced to 18 months in military prison). Four adult Boy Scout leaders were killed in an electrical accident while setting up camp for the organization's Jamboree in Bowling Green, Virginia.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/25/2015
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2015, 04:48:08 AM »

Five years ago: The online whistleblower Wikileaks posted some 90,000 leaked U.S. military records that amounted to a blow-by-blow account of the Afghanistan war, including unreported incidents of Afghan civilian killings as well as covert operations against Taliban figures. Alberto Contador won the Tour de France for the third time in four years. Erich Steidtmann, a former Nazi SS officer suspected of involvement in World War II massacres but never convicted, died in Hannover, Germany, at age 95.

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/25/2015
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2015, 04:49:04 AM »

One year ago: President Barack Obama met at the White House with the presidents of Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador; afterward, he urged the leaders and congressional Republicans to help ease the influx of minors and migrant families crossing the southwest border of the Unite States. Bel Kaufman, author of the 1965 best-selling novel "Up the Down Staircase," died in New York at age 103. Manny Roth, 94, a colorful club owner in Greenwich Village, New York, whose Cafe Wha? and its basement-level stage was a rite of passage in the 1960s for Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Bruce Springsteen and many others, died in Ojai, California.

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/25/2015
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2015, 04:49:53 AM »

Thought for Today: "Advertising is a valuable economic factor because it is the cheapest way of selling goods, particularly if the goods are worthless." - Sinclair Lewis, American author (1885-1951).
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/25/2015
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2015, 04:50:40 AM »

Union House
-------------------------

A dedicated shop steward was at a convention in Las Vegas and decided to check
out the local brothels. When he got to the first one, he asked the Madame, "Is
this a union house?"

"No, I'm sorry, it isn't," said the Madame.

"Well, if I pay you $100, what cut do the girls get?" he asked.

"The house gets $80 and the girl gets $20."

Mightily offended at such unfair dealings, the man stomped off down the street
in search of a more equitable shop.

At the second one, he asked the Madame, "Is this a union house?"

"No, I'm sorry, it isn't," said the Madame.

"If I pay you $100, what cut do the girls get?" he asked again.

"The house gets $80 and the girl gets $20."

Again offended, the man stomped off down the street in search of a more
equitable shop.

His search continued until he finally reached a brothel where the Madame said,
"Why yes, this is a union house."

"And if I pay you $100, what cut do the girls get?" he questioned.

"The girls get $80 and the house gets $20."

"That's more like it!" the man said. He looked around the room and pointed to a
stunningly attractive redhead. "I'd like her for the night."

"I'm sure you would, sir", said the Madame while gesturing to a grotesque woman
in her seventies in the corner, "but Ethel here has seniority."

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2015, 05:04:36 AM »

Union House
-------------------------

[...]

Just stopping by, change in meds has me awake a bit earlier.  Got to check if Januvia will give you hot flashes!
In 1918, the musical revue "The Passing Show of 1918" opened on Broadway, featuring a cast that included Fred Astaire and his sister, Adele, and the song "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles."

Ten years ago: The AFL-CIO splintered as the Service Employees International Union and the Teamsters announced they were leaving the labor federation. Cpl. Dustin Berg, an Indiana National Guard soldier, pleaded guilty to negligent homicide in the death of an Iraqi police officer (Berg was later sentenced to 18 months in military prison). Four adult Boy Scout leaders were killed in an electrical accident while setting up camp for the organization's Jamboree in Bowling Green, Virginia.

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2015, 06:55:40 AM »

Morning Chip and Hot Flash Flip.

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2015, 07:12:55 AM »

Everybody is sleeping in this morning.

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2015, 07:43:43 AM »

Morning Travellin Dave, LSU and Flip.  I did sleep in because I was awake  off and on half the night.

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2015, 07:45:17 AM »

33rd Annual Hot Air Balloon Festival underway in NJ.  Fish should be able to inflate several,of them! :)
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8