Author Topic: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014  (Read 217651 times)

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1710 on: July 22, 2014, 12:57:08 PM »

I got some of the petite coronas a couple years ago because I had a random prepaid Visa gift card or something and they were almost the exact amount I had in my balance.  They're not the worst cigars I've ever had. I suppose I'd say they're worth the dollar or so per stick.  Good for a third or fourth cigar on the golf course when I'm really just looking for anything to smoke.  But for giveaways I like to stick with things assuming the other person will look up the cigar online (though 99.99% of the time, they don't) and try to give away something halfway decent so I don't look like a douche.

Diesel UCs are perfect for that because they're somewhat big and they look cool.
-- Handout choice depends on context.  If it's a couple of friends herfing, good cigars.  If it's a party, or after the third martini, then no one is capable of paying attention to the cigar.  May as well be cheapos at that point.

Of course.  If they're "hand outs" to people who appreciate a good cigar, they can have whatever they'd like to try.  If it's to someone who probably won't smoke it past the first inch or two, they're getting something that I just couldn't bring myself to throw away.
I had a couple of friends over after a gig one night, normally the kind of friends that get good cigars.  I had them try OOOs.  They'd been drinking, and were still drinking.  The cigars ended up half-smoked, just because they were too busy talking.  Age-old lesson learned...serve the good stuff when they're sober, unload the swill when they're drunk.
Hanging out with you guys late-night sounds like a blast
Also don't get drunk at Bret's house.....
And especially not if FB is there, you'll wind up with warm drinks, shitty cigars and a big foam finger up your ass! And Steve - the answer is NO! They don't all want to get together with you at Bret's house this weekend

Let's all sit in front of the computer screen Saturday night and smoke the same shitty cigars while getting drunk.  Screw interacting with real people.
I'll send you an Armada
Thats why I stocked up on Fighting Cocks, 5 Vegas Gold and Victor Sinclairs for when Fish and Antnee visited.

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1711 on: July 22, 2014, 12:58:12 PM »

[...]

True, they can be cheapos, but you want them to taste OK....I have to seriously not like someone to give them a dog turd to smoke.  Thats where CBid works out well, you can get a box or so of something decent for 1.50 to 2.00 a stick and then 3-3.50 stick for general moochers and still have it better than the shit they would have bought.
It's the NJDave sliding scale, I'll have to be on the lookout for declining quality when we smoke together. Really a good gauge of where you stand with him. At the moment he likes me!
Logged

jswaykos

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1712 on: July 22, 2014, 12:59:28 PM »

[...]

I'll pass out AJ overruns.  They're Pinoleros!!!
Logged

DesertRat

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • {***}
Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1713 on: July 22, 2014, 01:00:51 PM »

[...]

All you have to do is believe!

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1714 on: July 22, 2014, 01:00:58 PM »

Still waiting for a deal on the Sake Bombs, can't see spending $50/box when the Tat PCRs are $3EA, but I want some

Same here. But as long as I can get Papas Fritas cheaper, the Sake Bombs will have to wait.
Exactly, I was hoping to get one at a shop on Friday but no dice. Picked up a La Jugada Prieto though. The shop used to have all 601/Espinosa stuff but relocated and not fully set back up yet

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1715 on: July 22, 2014, 01:01:16 PM »

[...]

It has its moments.  Depends how you define blast.  If it means a lot of decent-to-exceptional booze and cigars, the likelihood that someone will start cooking, someone else will start banging on a guitar and ignite a jam, you'll likely spew your drink from laughing at some point, and we might welcome the dawn by shooting golf balls out of a jury-rigged mortar with black powder, then yeah...you want to hang with Clan Holtz if you ever get the opportunity.  That's why my clan has so many septs.

I mean...we even turned the vigil over my dying mother into a party.  An emotional party, to be sure, but a party nonetheless.

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1716 on: July 22, 2014, 01:02:05 PM »

[...]

I tell my "guests" they're made from Majimbe scraps

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1717 on: July 22, 2014, 01:03:28 PM »

[...]

Exactly my point.
Logged

jswaykos

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1718 on: July 22, 2014, 01:15:24 PM »

[...]

Do you do each other's hair and nails?

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1719 on: July 22, 2014, 01:21:51 PM »

Is it 5 yet? Fuckin' Tuesdays!

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1720 on: July 22, 2014, 01:23:12 PM »

[...]

If it'll make you feel more comfortable there, then sure.  We could do that.

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1721 on: July 22, 2014, 01:28:35 PM »

[...]

Not really....I was just trying to make a good example in front of my sons.

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1722 on: July 22, 2014, 01:29:15 PM »

Is it 5 yet? Fuckin' Tuesdays!
No, no it isn't

Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1723 on: July 22, 2014, 01:29:52 PM »

[...]

Then why invite Tony?
Logged

ss2

  • Summertime!!
Re: In loving memory of Giuseppe "Peppino" Scarpa 9/22/1926 - 7/14/2014
« Reply #1724 on: July 22, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »

Is it 5 yet? Fuckin' Tuesdays!
Is it FRIDAY 5:00 yet is the real question as I see it....
Good afternoon fellow cigar enthusiasts!