Ogie

  • Founding Member
  • Junior Status
  • *
« Reply #195 on: March 24, 2015, 01:11:01 PM »

Flip, I think the most important question here is, what does your son currently enjoy??  Being new or not really knowing is a valid answer, too.  So much variety that you could give him the most expensive Islay scotch on the market and he'll hate it if he doesn't care for that style.
Islays are always a risky proposition anyway.  Too strong a taste for most folks new to scotch, and among longtime scotch drinkers there are those who love it and those who despise it.  My general rule of thumb if buying a bottle for someone is, "Highland for noobs, Speyside for vets, and Islay only if I know they love it."  Of course, Brits will castigate the Highland scotches as "Lady's Scotch," and seem to believe Scotch begins and ends in Speyside...but dafuck do the Brits know?

Seems like a good rule from my limited understanding of the regions.
I know nothing about the Lowland scotches, so will be interested to hear what you think of the Auchentoshan.

I need to start taking some notes at these tastings, especially the ones where most everything is new to me.   I'll definitely report back tomorrow.
IMO lowlands are the most challenging.
In what sense?  To find, to characterize, or to enjoy?
To characterize.  I think the lowland style is unmistakable yet difficult to define.  It's not peaty, not fruity.  Honeyed might be close.  Herbal too.  It's just, lowland.
Logged

Ogie

  • Founding Member
  • Junior Status
  • *
« Reply #196 on: March 24, 2015, 01:11:23 PM »

I only have $20 left... What's the best scotch for that?  ;D
Speyburn 10… almost.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #197 on: March 24, 2015, 01:11:52 PM »

Morning Dean, Dave, Tony, Scott.

Picked up a Garage Brewing Marshmallow Milk Stout over the weekend. Sounded like ST Creme Brûlée but not quite as sweet. Intended to drink it Sunday but whiskey got to me first.
say Joe, (and any other of the scotch drinking cognoscenti!)
 take a look at this link, of different single malt / malt blends scotches.
 My son's 31st birthday is coming up. advice would be helpful. Either one killer
under $200, or a combo of different tastes like a home grown sampler
http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/store/pc/Single-Malt-Blended-Malt-Whisky-c312.htm?pageStyle=p&ProdSort=3&page=3&idCategory=312
At 31, I would not think he is too set in his scotch ways yet, and a single high priced offering may not be fully appreciated.  Now I'm just listing general names, but of course each has different ages and different cask methods used.  I would probably go with the basic offering, 12 year is fine, maybe a 15 if on sale.

Highland:  Macallan, Dalmore, Highland Park, Dalwhinnie or Glenmorange
Lowland: Glenkinchie
Islay:  Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Lagavulin
Speyside:  Glenrothes, Abelour, Balvenie (Glenfiddich and Glenlivet are most common, but are fine light offerings)
how do these look:
http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/store/pc/GLENMORANGIE-18YR-SINGLE-MALT-SCOTCH-WHISKY-312p19805.htm
http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/store/pc/DALMORE-15YR-SINGLE-MALT-SCOTCH-WHISKY-312p9491.htm

As a non-frequent scotch drinker for now, I've hat the Glenmo 18 and loved it.  Seems like a nice balance between a 'safe' whiskey and one that'd be appreciated.  It was a favorite among most in attendance at a GlenMo tasting a while back.  There were some more expensive expressions there but the 18 was my overall favorite.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #198 on: March 24, 2015, 01:12:44 PM »

I only have $20 left... What's the best scotch for that?  ;D

I kinda like Black Bottle as a super cheap option.

« Reply #199 on: March 24, 2015, 01:13:43 PM »

« Reply #200 on: March 24, 2015, 01:14:20 PM »

I only have $20 left... What's the best scotch for that?  ;D
LALTS
Logged

Ogie

  • Founding Member
  • Junior Status
  • *
« Reply #201 on: March 24, 2015, 01:15:47 PM »

I only have $20 left... What's the best scotch for that?  ;D

I kinda like Black Bottle as a super cheap option.
+1 although it changed.  Not sure if it's peated in the current form.

« Reply #202 on: March 24, 2015, 01:16:03 PM »

Flip, I think the most important question here is, what does your son currently enjoy??  Being new or not really knowing is a valid answer, too.  So much variety that you could give him the most expensive Islay scotch on the market and he'll hate it if he doesn't care for that style.
last couple of bottles I've given to him and
 my daughters husband, they all enjoyed. but I am note sure
if Seth is still at Shoppers vineyard(he used to recommend good scotch).
One bottle was Monkey Shoulder, others were a Johnie Walker sampler,
he does like the platinum and the blue.
And, of course, there are always those who turn up their noses at Johnnie Walker, which is absurd.  It's okay to not like a particular blend, or to prefer single malts, or whatever.  Your taste buds, your choice.  But to insult the blends as somehow genetically inferior to the single malts is absurd, since Johnny Walker is made from them.  If I recall correctly, Macallan figures heavily in all the JW blends, with Talisker a close second and a major component of the Double Black and the Green Label.  And since the blends all consist of dozens of sources, it's statistically likely that anyone's particular favorite single malt is in there somewhere.

A few weeks ago I was at a herf drinking some really good scotch, and some yahoo tagalong started waxing poetic about how single malt is scotch in its most pure, historic form.  The boy obviously didn't know his whiskey history...or science.
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 3/24/2015
« Reply #203 on: March 24, 2015, 01:16:04 PM »

Nice Pudgy deal at the Sis but I must resist.

These are also on the .bid site. 10 boxes. Currently $67 to get in... Although, after factoring for shipping, $75 isn't bad... and no 'watching' necessary.

« Reply #204 on: March 24, 2015, 01:18:01 PM »

I only have $20 left... What's the best scotch for that?  ;D
Cutty Sark
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 3/24/2015
« Reply #205 on: March 24, 2015, 01:20:57 PM »

I only have $20 left... What's the best scotch for that?  ;D

I kinda like Black Bottle as a super cheap option.
+1 although it changed.  Not sure if it's peated in the current form.

Thanks for the options, Ogie & Joe. Old man used to drink JW Black, so that's what I 'borrowed' in the younger years. Kinda lost all taste for scotch until recently...
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #206 on: March 24, 2015, 01:20:59 PM »

[...]

I laugh at snobs of any kind.  If it's good, who the hell cares what it is?  Funny how in America, blended batches are ok (though I know they're not quite the same as scotch blends), but "independent bottlers" are shunned.  Blends not cool with scotches, but "bottlers", or non-distiller producers, are common from what I understand.

If you like it, drink it.  If not, don't.  Simple as that.  This goes back to my comment when I first logged in today, generally people like this just regurgitate what they hear elsewhere.  Got lots of bourbon drinkers in our group that turn away anything "sourced".  If it's better than some shit that isn't, why turn it away?
Logged

ss2

  • Summertime!!
Re: 3/24/2015
« Reply #207 on: March 24, 2015, 01:21:31 PM »

I only have $20 left... What's the best scotch for that?  ;D
  Cutty Sark
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 3/24/2015
« Reply #208 on: March 24, 2015, 01:21:57 PM »

Afternoon, Scotchtasters
Howdy Steve!

Hiya, Shaun. Wanna buy some exotic wood?  ;)
Logged

Ogie

  • Founding Member
  • Junior Status
  • *
« Reply #209 on: March 24, 2015, 01:22:39 PM »

I only have $20 left... What's the best scotch for that?  ;D
Speyburn 10… almost.
I'm not joking about Speyburn 10.  I think I paid $24ish for it and dollar-for-dollar I'd put it up against many of the major Speysiders.