« Reply #150 on: March 24, 2015, 11:57:07 AM »

Morning Dean, Dave, Tony, Scott.

Picked up a Garage Brewing Marshmallow Milk Stout over the weekend. Sounded like ST Creme Brûlée but not quite as sweet. Intended to drink it Sunday but whiskey got to me first.
say Joe, (and any other of the scotch drinking cognoscenti!)
 take a look at this link, of different single malt / malt blends scotches.
 My son's 31st birthday is coming up. advice would be helpful. Either one killer
under $200, or a combo of different tastes like a home grown sampler
http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/store/pc/Single-Malt-Blended-Malt-Whisky-c312.htm?pageStyle=p&ProdSort=3&page=3&idCategory=312
At 31, I would not think he is too set in his scotch ways yet, and a single high priced offering may not be fully appreciated.  Now I'm just listing general names, but of course each has different ages and different cask methods used.  I would probably go with the basic offering, 12 year is fine, maybe a 15 if on sale.

Highland:  Macallan, Dalmore, Highland Park, Dalwhinnie or Glenmorange
Lowland: Glenkinchie
Islay:  Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Lagavulin
Speyside:  Glenrothes, Abelour, Balvenie (Glenfiddich and Glenlivet are most common, but are fine light offerings)

« Reply #151 on: March 24, 2015, 11:57:16 AM »

Morning Dean, Dave, Tony, Scott.

Picked up a Garage Brewing Marshmallow Milk Stout over the weekend. Sounded like ST Creme Brûlée but not quite as sweet. Intended to drink it Sunday but whiskey got to me first.
I revisited a Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro over the weekend and it was delicious.

« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2015, 11:57:55 AM »

Morning Dean, Dave, Tony, Scott.

Picked up a Garage Brewing Marshmallow Milk Stout over the weekend. Sounded like ST Creme Brûlée but not quite as sweet. Intended to drink it Sunday but whiskey got to me first.
say Joe, (and any other of the scotch drinking cognoscenti!)
 take a look at this link, of different single malt / malt blends scotches.
 My son's 31st birthday is coming up. advice would be helpful. Either one killer
under $200, or a combo of different tastes like a home grown sampler
http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/store/pc/Single-Malt-Blended-Malt-Whisky-c312.htm?pageStyle=p&ProdSort=3&page=3&idCategory=312

I'm still only learning my own preferences for scotch, can't speak to any high end recommendations. That said, if I had $200 to spend on ONE bottle right now, had to get
It today (meaning no special editions/yearly releases and regularly available), I'd go for an older Japanese whiskey. Yamazaki 18, or Hibiki 17 year or older.

But speaking of Scotch, got a Laphroaig/Auchentoshan tasting tonight.
The Laphroaig is has that peat component right?

« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2015, 11:58:04 AM »

Morning Dean, Dave, Tony, Scott.

Picked up a Garage Brewing Marshmallow Milk Stout over the weekend. Sounded like ST Creme Brûlée but not quite as sweet. Intended to drink it Sunday but whiskey got to me first.
I revisited a Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro over the weekend and it was delicious.
Very good beer, definitely one of a kind!

« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2015, 11:58:25 AM »

[...]

Very peaty - pairs GREAT with a cigar

« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2015, 11:59:43 AM »

Morning Dean, Dave, Tony, Scott.

Picked up a Garage Brewing Marshmallow Milk Stout over the weekend. Sounded like ST Creme Brûlée but not quite as sweet. Intended to drink it Sunday but whiskey got to me first.
say Joe, (and any other of the scotch drinking cognoscenti!)
 take a look at this link, of different single malt / malt blends scotches.
 My son's 31st birthday is coming up. advice would be helpful. Either one killer
under $200, or a combo of different tastes like a home grown sampler
http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/store/pc/Single-Malt-Blended-Malt-Whisky-c312.htm?pageStyle=p&ProdSort=3&page=3&idCategory=312
Aberlour 12yr is amazing, highly recommend that choice - also fairly easy drinking.
Glenmo Nectar D'Or is also amazing
And if Flip doesn't drink scotch, he's going to be searching long and far for something called Glenmo.....
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2015, 12:00:07 PM »

Simply to counteract Dave's post, I had some Glenmorangie Signet at a tasting and it was awesome.  Wouldn't spend the money on a bottle myself ($175 at your site), but if he has any appreciation for scotch, he'll love it.

« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2015, 12:01:31 PM »

[...]

Yes.  All three of the Islay's mentioned have a strong peat nose.  You open a bottle of Laphroaig and the room will soon smell like a campfire.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2015, 12:04:56 PM »

[...]

So will your breath the next morning.  Peat is definitely a common factor in every scotch that has stood out to me so far.  And I also think it really compliments a cigar.  Only real problem is that it totally overpowers anything else you'll drink that night.

« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2015, 12:05:46 PM »

[...]

Have the Auchentoshan first.....and wear your big boy pants.

« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2015, 12:06:24 PM »

[...]

I'm pushing 50, and if someone wanted to buy me an expensive bottle of Scotch, I'd be delighted with whatever they chose.

« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2015, 12:06:37 PM »

Morning Dean, Dave, Tony, Scott.

Picked up a Garage Brewing Marshmallow Milk Stout over the weekend. Sounded like ST Creme Brûlée but not quite as sweet. Intended to drink it Sunday but whiskey got to me first.
say Joe, (and any other of the scotch drinking cognoscenti!)
 take a look at this link, of different single malt / malt blends scotches.
 My son's 31st birthday is coming up. advice would be helpful. Either one killer
under $200, or a combo of different tastes like a home grown sampler
http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/store/pc/Single-Malt-Blended-Malt-Whisky-c312.htm?pageStyle=p&ProdSort=3&page=3&idCategory=312
Aberlour 12yr is amazing, highly recommend that choice - also fairly easy drinking.
Glenmo Nectar D'Or is also amazing
And if Flip doesn't drink scotch, he's going to be searching long and far for something called Glenmo.....

« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2015, 12:08:40 PM »

[...]

True, the peat note is present in all scotch, but the Laphroaig and other Islay's take it up a few notches.  You will understand after tonight.  Kind of like the pepper notes of a Pepin, it's distinctive.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2015, 12:10:11 PM »

[...]

So I've been told.  I've had Laphroaig Cask Strength before and really liked it, but think that's it from tonight's line up.  We're having:

Auchentoshan American Oak
Auchentoshan Three Wood
Auchentoshan Virgin Oak
Laphroaig 10
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Laphroaig Triple Wood
Laphroaig 18
Logged

Ogie

  • Founding Member
  • Junior Status
  • *
« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2015, 12:10:51 PM »

Morning Dean, Dave, Tony, Scott.

Picked up a Garage Brewing Marshmallow Milk Stout over the weekend. Sounded like ST Creme Brûlée but not quite as sweet. Intended to drink it Sunday but whiskey got to me first.
say Joe, (and any other of the scotch drinking cognoscenti!)
 take a look at this link, of different single malt / malt blends scotches.
 My son's 31st birthday is coming up. advice would be helpful. Either one killer
under $200, or a combo of different tastes like a home grown sampler
http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/store/pc/Single-Malt-Blended-Malt-Whisky-c312.htm?pageStyle=p&ProdSort=3&page=3&idCategory=312
With $200 I'd get a few bottles.  I'll look closer if you care for another opinion.