« Reply #150 on: August 29, 2016, 03:00:29 PM »

One more hour, sheesh it is a long Monday.

« Reply #151 on: August 29, 2016, 03:18:58 PM »

Couple more College hot button items for your reading pleasure:

Hundreds of Yale professors protest decision to keep Calhoun College name  http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/27986/
(guess we shouldn't tell anyone that at Clemson, "Calhoun College" is the Honors College, and the land that is now Clemson University is the former Fort Hill owned by the Calhouns and eventually Thomas Green Clemson who married into the Calhouns.  The main property, house and some secondary structures are preserved in the center of campus.

Cornell officially recommends ‘Plantations’ name change: ‘Botanic Gardens’  http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/28657/

Princeton University president: Woodrow Wilson mural should be removed  http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/25184/

Confederate symbols at five universities targeted for removal  http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/25184/
Which includes Clemson's clocktower, named Tillman Hall named after a SC Governor, US Senator who had a key role in the founding of the University.  (He also was a card carrying white supremacist unapologetically linked to murders and lynchings of blacks.)

« Reply #152 on: August 29, 2016, 03:23:59 PM »

[...]

One more:

OKLAHOMA CITY — Duke University has filed a $9.9 million claim against the estate of former Chesapeake Energy Corp. CEO Aubrey McClendon for pledges the Duke alumnus made that the university says were unpaid at the time of his death in a fiery highway crash.

The claim, which the Durham, North-Carolina-based school filed Aug. 12 in Oklahoma County District Court, is among several totaling hundreds of millions of dollars that seek part of the estate. McClendon was one of the founders of the Oklahoma City-based petroleum and natural gas exploration and production company and part owner of the NBA’s Oklahoma City Thunder.

McClendon, 56, was killed March 2 when his SUV smashed head-on into a bridge wall at nearly 80 mph a day after McClendon was indicted by a federal grand jury for alleged bid rigging.

Duke’s claim is for “multiple charitable pledges” it says the energy magnate made to the school prior to his death for a variety of programs and projects including work-study scholarships, the football program, an auditorium and a student plaza. The total pledge amount was $18.75 million, of which about $9.9 million remains unpaid, according to the claim.

Mike Schoenfeld, Duke’s vice president of public affairs and government relations, said in an emailed statement Thursday that the claim was a “routine transaction” and was submitted after the university received a notice from McClendon’s estate to submit a claim for the unpaid portion of earlier pledges. McClendon graduated from Duke University in 1981 with a degree in history.

“It is common for the executors of large and complex estates to solicit claims from charitable organizations with pledges that were not fulfilled at the time of the donor’s passing,” the statement said.

« Reply #153 on: August 29, 2016, 03:38:16 PM »

I should have kept a count of how many fuk'n webinar invites I have had just today, at least 6 or more.

« Reply #154 on: August 29, 2016, 03:52:17 PM »

Fried Jell-O among top food winners for State Fair of Texas

DALLAS, TX --
 Fans of the State Fair of Texas can look forward to nibbling on fried Jell-O or a crinkly cookie-like treat as the top two food winners for the upcoming expo in Dallas.

Fair officials on Sunday announced the fried Jell-O was selected as Most Creative by a panel of judges. The State Fair Cookie Fries won Best Taste.

The State Fair of Texas on Aug. 17 announced the eight finalists for the best culinary creations as part of the annual Big Tex Choice Awards

« Reply #155 on: August 29, 2016, 04:01:14 PM »

Markets Closed

DOW   +108  @ 18,503

« Reply #156 on: August 29, 2016, 04:01:50 PM »

Now, I am closing down too!  BBL, what to smoke?

« Reply #157 on: August 29, 2016, 04:03:34 PM »

Willy Wonka Died

Gene Wilder, ‘Willy Wonka’ Star and Comedic Icon, Dies at 83

Gene Wilder, who regularly stole the show in such comedic gems as “The Producers,” “Blazing Saddles,” “Young Frankenstein,” “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” and “Stir Crazy,” died Monday at his home in Stamford, Conn. His nephew Jordan Walker-Pearlman said he died of complications from Alzheimer’s disease.

« Reply #158 on: August 29, 2016, 04:07:32 PM »

Now, I am closing down too!  BBL, what to smoke?
Oliva V perchance?
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 8/29/2016
« Reply #159 on: August 29, 2016, 04:14:00 PM »

Now, I am closing down too!  BBL, what to smoke?
Oliva V perchance?

I know he should have a couple No 4's in one of those tub's.  ;)
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 8/29/2016
« Reply #160 on: August 29, 2016, 04:17:24 PM »

If you haven't already seen the email...

Famous 20% Off $100 or more = 20LABOR

...and fyi, I tried a couple of items that are usually rejected by the catsrule code for "brand restrictions" and the 20LABOR code didn't have any problems showing a discount... just sayin'

« Reply #161 on: August 29, 2016, 04:17:32 PM »

Fried Jell-O among top food winners for State Fair of Texas

DALLAS, TX --
 Fans of the State Fair of Texas can look forward to nibbling on fried Jell-O or a crinkly cookie-like treat as the top two food winners for the upcoming expo in Dallas.

Fair officials on Sunday announced the fried Jell-O was selected as Most Creative by a panel of judges. The State Fair Cookie Fries won Best Taste.

The State Fair of Texas on Aug. 17 announced the eight finalists for the best culinary creations as part of the annual Big Tex Choice Awards
Frying jello, now that should be interesting....I guess if you can fry ice cream....

« Reply #162 on: August 29, 2016, 04:17:48 PM »

One more hour, sheesh it is a long Monday.
Brutally long.  And I've still got 3:43 to go.

« Reply #163 on: August 29, 2016, 04:20:18 PM »

[...]

It is a hallmark of communist revolutions that they try to erase the past.
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 8/29/2016
« Reply #164 on: August 29, 2016, 04:21:00 PM »

Fried Jell-O among top food winners for State Fair of Texas

DALLAS, TX --
 Fans of the State Fair of Texas can look forward to nibbling on fried Jell-O or a crinkly cookie-like treat as the top two food winners for the upcoming expo in Dallas.

Fair officials on Sunday announced the fried Jell-O was selected as Most Creative by a panel of judges. The State Fair Cookie Fries won Best Taste

The State Fair of Texas on Aug. 17 announced the eight finalists for the best culinary creations as part of the annual Big Tex Choice Awards
Frying jello, now that should be interesting....I guess if you can fry ice cream....

Wonder how it works with jello shooters. My personal jello favorite.