Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2023, 11:56:10 AM »

Wordle 790 3/6*

⬛🟨🟩⬛🟨
🟨🟨🟩🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2023, 12:21:16 PM »

A bit pricy but a nice special occasion connie for Rick (and everyone else).

https://www.smokeinn.com/Aganorsa-Leaf-Aniversario-Connecticut/
I really like the la tradition or how ever it's pronounced. I believe it was a renaming and not a reblending. I got the five packs in the boveda couple months back but pricey. They didn't last long

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2023, 12:22:06 PM »

Wordle 790 2/6

🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Well played.
It was a lucky typo in a different word I was going to guess. I started to correct it and then went, "Oh, wait. Hold up. Let's try that." Boom.

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2023, 01:08:50 PM »

Wordle 790 2/6

🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Well played.
It was a lucky typo in a different word I was going to guess. I started to correct it and then went, "Oh, wait. Hold up. Let's try that." Boom.
LALTS

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2023, 02:39:16 PM »

Today's Over/Under is 11
Fourteen. This is not the Parker Posey I'd recognize.
You mean the 55 year old one?

« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2023, 03:02:45 PM »

Today's Over/Under is 11
Fourteen. This is not the Parker Posey I'd recognize.
You mean the 55 year old one?
That's the one I'd know.

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2023, 03:15:46 PM »

I think I have found the anthem for this current age, and it comes from an unexpected source. Rick Springfield.

Yes, THAT Rick Springfield. "Jesse's Girl" Rick Springfield. I have no idea what he's been doing since the 80s, but apparently he's been learning how to write very smart pop music rather than lightweight hits.

This is, in my opinion, a brilliant essay about the Culture Wars, both musically and lyrically. Rather than lobbing artillery across some line in the sand somewhere, as Jason Aldean and Oliver Anthony have been in the news for lately, he simply articulates the danger of this battle for all concerned, while clearly implying that the only solution is an armistice. The Culture Wars cannot be won, but we can agree that if continue as we are the only result will be an intractable battle that will bloody everyone and kill some.

This is really first rate work, and smart pop the like of which I have not seen since Robert Plant dropped "Now and Zen" in 1986. Rick Springfield has always been a guilty pleasure for me - fun, but insubstantial.

This is an entirely different ballgame.

https://youtu.be/VXGbJyYov_c

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2023, 03:56:22 PM »

Automatic

Rick Springfield

Living in a world where everybody's ga-ga
Shaking it, faking it like they're all a ya-ya
Find myself a girl with a name like Zsa-zsa
Pack up all my shit and move it down to Baja
If there's more to life than money, shelter, food, sex
I gotta get it straight in my Cerebral cortex
Everybody's got the usual defects
Chalk it all up to automatic reflex

Yeah, it's automatic, yeah, it's automatic
Baby don't be static, everybody's got one
Yeah, it's problematic you can lock it in the Attic
But it's automatic, I know it's a hot one

Seems to me the rules are getting stranger
Maybe emancipation's in danger
Every coalition is a new game changer
They all claim it's like Jesus-in-a-manger
I wanna speak free, love free, everyone to thrive
I don't really care if you're software or hard drive
No time to sit still, bow out or shuck and jive
Get up, stand up, nobody's getting out alive

Yeah, it's automatic, yeah, it's automatic
Baby don't be static, everybody's got one
Yeah, it's problematic, you can lock it in the Attic
But it's automatic, I know it's a hot one

Don't want to sound like a carnival barker
This house of mirrors getting darker and darker
Better check your blood for the biomarker
Silhouette against the sun couldn't be starker
Everything I think and do's set by my DNA
Actions are automatic reflex foreplay
Sex drive, crash dive, so much to say
Can't stop the ship once it's coming down the slipway

Yeah, it's automatic, yeah, it's automatic
Baby don't be static, everybody's got one
Yeah, it's problematic, you can lock it in the Attic
But it's automatic, I know it's a hot one

Living in a world of hypersensitivity
Everywhere I look, everybody wants validity
Walking on eggshells, state my proclivity
Somebody somewhere'll want to take a shot at me
Whether I believe in God, love or hot sex
Gotta be careful 'cause all this shit is complex
Whether I say it's live or Memorex
It's a suicide belt loaded with Semtex

Yeah, it's automatic, yeah, it's automatic
Baby don't be static, everybody's got one
Yeah, it's problematic, you can lock it in the Attic
But it's automatic, I know it's a hot one

Yeah, it's automatic, yeah, it's autocratic
Baby don't you panic, everybody's got one
You can be diplomatic, you can be fanatic
Although it's enigmatic, it's a loaded shotgun

Songwriters: Rick Springfield.

For non-commercial use only.

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2023, 03:57:32 PM »

[...]

I find Springfield to make me nostalgic for the good old days. I wouldn't tune one of his songs off the radio. My wife still pines for him and his Dr. Noah Drake character on General Hospital. I'll have to give this a listen.

By the way, I enjoyed the Now and Zen album.

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2023, 04:35:14 PM »

And here's a little pop-cultural anthropology for you.

Springfield says this in the first verse of the song:

"Living in a world where everybody's ga-ga
Shaking it, faking it like they're all a ya-ya
Find myself a girl with a name like Zsa-zsa
Pack up all my shit and move it down to Baja"

It's the usage of "ya-ya" that caught my attention. At first I thought it was just a nonsense usage. But I got to thinking that nowhere else in the song does Springfield resort to nonsense, so maybe there's something there.

It's a word I've encountered a number of times. It was my brother's name for his pacifier when he was a toddler. The Rolling Stones used it in the title of their second live album ("Get Yer Ya-ya's Out"), and it's a reference in that context to female breasts. It's a colloquial term of endearment for an aunt or a nanny in Spanish, roughly equivalent to "nana," which may have been picked up in the Philippines from Tagalog natives.

But in this case, I'm pretty sure that Springfield is referencing Jane Hobson's 1996 novel "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood." While Hobson never explicitly defines what Ya-Ya means in the book, she does offer shades of its meaning. Essentially, it is someone who can get away with mischief outrageously by sheer bravado.

I read the book long ago on the recommendation of a former girlfriend who told me, "Your mom is definitely a Ya-Ya." And she was right. My mom was definitely a ya-ya. The kind who could talk her way past a sentry at a nuclear missile installation y'know?

So in this case, Springfield's line "Shakin' it, fakin' it like they're all a ya-ya" refers to people who think they can say anything they want without consequence.

Springfield wasn't being nonsensical, he was being exceptionally culturally literate.

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2023, 04:48:17 PM »

I wasn't as moved by the new Springfield tune but perhaps I'll need to hear it a few more times. Some of my favorite songs didn't start out that way. In this case, maybe it's too cerebral for me. I'm more in line with musical messages telling me not to talk to strangers.

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2023, 06:33:32 PM »

I wasn't as moved by the new Springfield tune but perhaps I'll need to hear it a few more times. Some of my favorite songs didn't start out that way. In this case, maybe it's too cerebral for me. I'm more in line with musical messages telling me not to talk to strangers.
Well, "moved" would be a strong word for my own reaction.  I don't mean to suggest it's my new favorite song.  Only that I think it's smart, well-written, topical, literate, and timely - the best candidate I've found for an anthem for this complicated time - and I'm shocked that I'm saying those things about a Rick Springfield song.

I like the song, and I've listened to it a lot today, but does it even make the top fifty list of my all-time favorite songs?  No. Not even close.

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2023, 07:49:14 PM »

[...]

But he's dating Zsa Zsa Gabor?

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2023, 08:32:38 PM »

[...]

I'm sure there are other Zsa-zsas.

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2023, 08:52:25 PM »

[...]

I should hope so, because Gabor has been dead for almost seven years.

Zsa Zsa is a ya-ya kinda name.

Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5