Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2023, 12:39:57 PM »

Today's Over/Under is 6
Seven, and a coupla names.

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2023, 12:42:11 PM »

Today is National Lazy Day. Hope we all get to celebrate at some point.
I'm making my staff do all my work.

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2023, 01:09:07 PM »

Morning, muchachos. Sorry I'm late. Work is kicking my ass.
Afternoon, Page2Raz.

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2023, 01:09:25 PM »

Today is National Lazy Day. Hope we all get to celebrate at some point.
I'm making my staff do all my work.
That's the way to go.

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2023, 01:25:22 PM »

Robbie Robertson died yesterday. Y'all have only heard one example of my playing, unless you did a deep search on YouTube and found some old acoustic videos, and those examples won't much suggest that Robbie Robertson is the guitarist that I identify with the most.

Robertson was a songwriter and an ensemble player. There are no Robertson guitar solos out there that will come to your mind, the way solos by Hendrix, Joe Walsh, Stevie Ray Vaughan, or Eddie Van Halen will. He wasn't a shredder. He never had a monster guitar rig like other famous guitarists.

But he was enormously influential. While Buddy Holly was the first famous guitarist to use a Fender Stratocaster for rock and roll, and Jimi Hendrix legitimized it for hard rock, it was Robbie Robertson's influence, not Hendrix's, that got players like Eric Clapton, Pete Townshend, Dave Gilmour, and others to embrace that instrument.

And Robertson always embodied the role I preferred to play in a band - songwriter and supporting guitarist. I can put together complicated guitar parts, and I can quickly learn about anything you want to throw at me. I can play lead guitar and I have a distinct style. But that's not what I prefer to focus on. I want to write songs.

If you younger whippersnappers for whatever reason don't get what the big deal was about The Band, then watch Scorsese's documentary of their farewell concert, "The Last Waltz." But when you do, start by remembering that they began as a backing band, first for Ronnie Hawkins, and then for Bob Dylan. As you watch the film, and the parade of heavy-hitters that sit in with them throughout the movie, note how The Band drew those stars into what they did, and not the other way round. The Band could play with anybody, but they never faded into the background, rather whoever they backed became part of their sound. That's what the big deal was.

Well, part of it. The other part was that they defined a new genre of popular music, which has come to be known as "Americana." They didn't invent it, you can't invent a genre that draws from old American pop forms and reimagines them. But they defined it. It's not Blues Rock, or Folk Rock, or Country Rock. It draws from overlooked nooks and crannies of all these forms, and distills them into a brew that seems familiar, and yet, when you dig into it and break it down, it's completely different from anything that came before it.

So yesterday was a sad day for me.

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2023, 02:01:04 PM »

[...]

Obviously, I don't have the knowledge or musical background that you have but I acknowledge the loss we all have in Robertson's demise. May he forever rest in peace.

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2023, 02:18:35 PM »

This is a cool way to remember Robbie.

https://youtu.be/ph1GU1qQ1zQ

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2023, 02:20:29 PM »

Time to log off, gotta head up to the DMV and renew some plates. Hazzuh for now.

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2023, 03:07:35 PM »

Looks like I didn't miss much.

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2023, 03:16:37 PM »

Morning, muchachos. Sorry I'm late. Work is kicking my ass.
Just showing how much they missed you.

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2023, 03:30:23 PM »

Wordle 782 3/6*

⬛🟨⬛⬛🟨
🟨🟨⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2023, 03:39:10 PM »

AB V2L Black.  So far tastes like San Andreas dirt with pepper.
Looked it up and it's actually a Nicaraguan wrapper.

"When it comes to making some of the industry’s hottest cigars, no one out there knows how to keep them coming quite the way Alec Bradley does. With plentiful ‘90’+ ratings and a handful of Top 25 Cigar of the Year awards, they’ve certainly perfected the formula for producing top-notch premium.

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2023, 03:50:04 PM »

Page 3

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2023, 03:51:04 PM »

Happy Little Friday birthday.

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2023, 04:26:45 PM »

Looks like I didn't miss much.
Raining here. You know how it goes.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4