CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: 10/7/2022  (Read 1265 times)

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
Re: 10/7/2022
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2022, 11:41:49 AM »

Tony.
 Bills/Stealers... Different result this Sunday than last year?
I'm sure you hope so but I'm sorry my friend, Steelers are due for a W. I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. Although I'd hate to steal more cigars from you.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2022, 11:41:49 AM »

Bret's been replaced. There is a dude who sits near me whose legal first name is Raz.

Haven't asked him yet if he smokes cigars.
There's our coinkydink of the day.
Wonder if he shoots guns and plays the guitar? I'll have to befriend him to find out.
And plays piano, and writes songs, and speaks Spanish, and writes code, and collects guns, and builds guns, and makes ammunition, and collects guitars, and has read Plato AND Aristotle, and Calvin AND Hobbes, and all the Federalist Papers...

I mean, these are appetites more than qualities. But if you're tryna replace me, you're gonna have to work a little harder than a sobriquet and knowing the business end of a cigar and a gun.
Calvin and Hobbes was definitely my favorite comic as a kid. :D

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2022, 11:44:04 AM »

Bret's been replaced. There is a dude who sits near me whose legal first name is Raz.

Wonder if he shoots guns and plays the guitar? I'll have to befriend him to find out.
And plays piano, and writes songs, and speaks Spanish, and writes code, and collects guns, and builds guns, and makes ammunition, and collects guitars, and has read Plato AND Aristotle, and Calvin AND Hobbes, and all the Federalist Papers...

I mean, these are appetites more than qualities. But if you're tryna replace me, you're gonna have to work a little harder than a sobriquet and knowing the business end of a cigar and a gun.
I would never try to replace you. You are one of a kind.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2022, 11:56:13 AM »

I would never try to replace you. You are one of a kind.
Yup.  A pluperfect asshole.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2022, 12:01:16 PM »

And did you get the joke of the title?

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2022, 12:46:19 PM »

#Heardle #225

🔊🟥🟥🟩⬜⬜⬜

https://spotify.com/heardle

Got it today!

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2022, 01:08:54 PM »

Nope, because I'm not familiar with Calvin or Hobbes, the originals.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2022, 01:10:20 PM »

#Heardle #225

🔊🟥🟥🟩⬜⬜⬜

https://spotify.com/heardle

Got it today!
Nada for me. I know the song, but apparently, not the first 16 seconds. Lol

bluecollar

• Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Click the globe below to see my top rated cigars.
    • Click my web link to see my list of top rated cigars...
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2022, 01:38:45 PM »

Tony.
I'm sure you hope so but I'm sorry my friend, Steelers are due for a W. I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. Although I'd hate to steal more cigars from you.
You call the wager. I'm game

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2022, 01:53:29 PM »

Tony.
How about a 5er of losers choosing. Can be any vitola and 5 of the same or mix and match.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2022, 02:06:12 PM »

I was in college studying theology when Calvin and Hobbes went into syndication. Both the strip and its title fascinated me. So I wrote a final paper for a Western Civ class about it. The joke is not obvious, and I'm not certain even Bill Watterson completely intended it. Both John Calvin and Thomas Hobbes took a dim view of human nature, and both favored the notion of a benevolent dictatorship ruling the affairs of men as the true Divine order.

The joke is that Thomas Hobbes insisted that everything including thought was actually matter, physically real, and occupying time and space.

So, in the comic strip, Hobbes is "real," at least to Calvin, because he is the product of Calvin's thoughts. But Hobbes articulates the philosophical ideals of John Calvin - humility and submission to the predestined divine order - while six-year-old Calvin embodies the very human unruliness that Thomas Hobbes asserted made a dictatorial sovereign a political necessity. 

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2022, 02:13:45 PM »

I was in college studying theology when Calvin and Hobbes went into syndication. Both the strip and its title fascinated me. So I wrote a final paper for a Western Civ class about it. The joke is not obvious, and I'm not certain even Bill Watterson completely intended it. Both John Calvin and Thomas Hobbes took a dim view of human nature, and both favored the notion of a benevolent dictatorship ruling the affairs of men as the true Divine order.

The joke is that Thomas Hobbes insisted that everything including thought was actually matter, physically real, and occupying time and space.

So, in the comic strip, Hobbes is "real," at least to Calvin, because he is the product of Calvin's thoughts. But Hobbes articulates the philosophical ideals of John Calvin - humility and submission to the predestined divine order - while six-year-old Calvin embodies the very human unruliness that Thomas Hobbes asserted made a dictatorial sovereign a political necessity.
Now that you mention it, I have read a bit about Hobbes. Some of his ideas were covered in the philosophy book I read lately. The notion of him believing everything was matter jogged my memory.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2022, 02:15:38 PM »

Hazzuh!

bluecollar

• Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Click the globe below to see my top rated cigars.
    • Click my web link to see my list of top rated cigars...
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2022, 02:20:49 PM »

Tony.
How about a 5er of losers choosing. Can be any vitola and 5 of the same or mix and match.
I agree

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Summertime
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2022, 02:55:17 PM »

And no, not her...
But that's who we thought of first when we saw the name, right?
Exactly!
That and I just wanted an excuse to put up a nice picture for the day.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6