Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2021, 12:48:29 PM »

Another steamy day in store here. Already saw some schools are closed because of it.
Global warming!   Can't close them for every little thing.  Put some AC in!
I don't think schools where teachers have to reach into their own pockets to pay for supplies for their classrooms are suddenly going to find the money to install AC.
They just need to put the money they do collect into the school.
No joke. The corruption is real.
In public schools, they just add more layers of high paid administrators.  In Catholic schools the church just skims off the top for "rent and utilities and such" because they know they can make the kids do fundraisers and make the parents pay for any incidentals or activities.

« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2021, 12:57:27 PM »

And for your Birthday listening pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mREi_Bb85Sk
When I saw the title, I absolutely expected a song filled with fart noises.
It was a bit before your time, but one I always enjoyed.  The guitar, not the farts.
Now we've got to get Mr. Raz to record us a version of it.
I can't improve on perfection.  Glen Campbell could.  But not me.

https://youtu.be/YPJRR74a9xE
That is a fine version!

« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2021, 01:01:08 PM »

A'ight, so far as I know, nunyuz was born in Commiefornia within 20 miles of the beach like I was.  So here's your West Coast Cultural Anthropology minute for the day.

This is Tom Blake.  The picture was taken in 1922, but if I'd cropped it carefully and asked you to guess when it was taken, I bet most of you would guess it was much later because you don't have to spend more than a minute or two in SoCal now to see a bunch of guys that look just like this.  It might seem a trivial thing to note.  It's just a consequence of being in the water at the shore, right?  Yes and no.  Tom Blake always looked like this.  When everyone else, and I mean EVERYONE else was spending most of their waking hours in suits with carefully greased hair, Tom Blake looked like this.  All the time.  He lived out of a van in California, or in a shack on the beach in Hawaii, wore baggy shorts and sandals, and simply ignored everyone else's definition of a "normal life" in favor of surfing.  In the 1920's.  What we now refer to as "the surfer look" can be traced back to one man - Thomas E. Blake.  He was not just a typical surfer, or the prototypical surfer, he was the archetype.  And he was the archetype not because he invented the look - Pacific Islanders had been looking like that for millennia - but because he decided if it was appropriate for the beach, it was appropriate everywhere else, too...and fuck you and your expectations very much if you disagreed.

He is the guy who invented the hollow-core surfboard, and the first to put a skeg (fin) on a board.  He also invented the sailboard, the underwater camera, and wrote the first book on surfing.

Oh, and no, he wasn't a California boy.  He was born, and ultimately died, in Wisconsin.

« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2021, 01:16:52 PM »

This feels like a classic case of just because we CAN do it doesn't mean we SHOULD do it:

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news/worlds-fastest-roller-coaster-japan-044128122.html
It looks a bit like Kingda Ka and I won't be doing that one again. Once was plenty.
Space Mountain is like that for me. Once when I was riding it, I had my hands in the air and my finger grazed some track as we were whipping by. Had my hands clutched to my chest the rest of the ride and said that was enough.
That's funny because if you saw Space Mountain in the daylight you'd be questioning what you were so scared about. Of course, I don't have that long ape-like arms like you do.

GFY, it's Tuesday!
I wouldn't call it scared, I'd call it a healthy respect for leaving a ride with the same number of hands and digits I started with.
On Space Mountain, I keep my appendages inside the ride at all times, just like the instructions tell me.
Not sure they tell you that on that ride, or I feel like I definitely would have.

« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2021, 01:17:59 PM »

We need a new word to describe a particular mix of emotion that is becoming increasingly common.  When you're amused, horrified, sad, angry and scornful all at once.  Y'know that feeling when your kid does something really stupid and gets bloodied by it and there's that one moment of horror and adrenaline and fighting the urge to laugh, but your first reaction is to yell at them, "What the fuck were you thinking??"  That.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/moment-tiktoker-plunges-160ft-to-her-death-from-a-turkish-rooftop/ar-AANDPd0?ocid=msedgntp
People dying while trying to film content for internet likes is definitely not something young me thought would ever be a thing. Seems to be a growing trend.

« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2021, 01:18:20 PM »

Got time for a quick one and an ice coffee. before afternoon appointment.

« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2021, 01:20:44 PM »

Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts dead at 80.

« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2021, 01:27:01 PM »

Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts dead at 80.
Holy shit.

« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2021, 02:04:40 PM »

Don't forget Undercrowns offered on the CI One Day Deal.

https://www.cigarsinternational.com/1-day-deal/?slot=1
Decent enough deal. I enjoy the UC, even though they don't get a lot of love here.
I like them.  One of the few cigars I like much better in the corona (Viva) over the toro.
I like all the Undercrowns. They have grown on me over the years.

« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2021, 02:06:35 PM »

Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts dead at 80.
I didn't think he would be the first to go. They were supposed to resume there tour next year

« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2021, 02:16:53 PM »

Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts dead at 80.
Charlie Watts was both a brilliant player and a total class act - a rare combination in the music biz.  If there's anyone in showbiz history that is truly worthy of admiration as a human being, it's Charlie Watts - and whoever's in second place is a long way back.

« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2021, 02:19:00 PM »

Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts dead at 80.
I didn't think he would be the first to go. They were supposed to resume there tour next year
Watts was the second-eldest of them.

They're all on borrowed time.

« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2021, 02:20:26 PM »

Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts dead at 80.
I didn't think he would be the first to go. They were supposed to resume there tour next year
Watts was the second-eldest of them.

They're all on borrowed time.
Not Keith Richards, he's clearly immortal.

« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2021, 02:25:30 PM »

Hazzuh!

« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2021, 02:53:48 PM »

Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts dead at 80.
I didn't think he would be the first to go. They were supposed to resume there tour next year
Watts was the second-eldest of them.

They're all on borrowed time.
Not Keith Richards, he's clearly immortal.
Keith Richards is Dorian Gray in reverse.  Somewhere there's a portrait of him that keeps getting younger, and when it is exposed he will instantly be transformed into a cherubic child.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8