CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: 6/5/2018  (Read 5942 times)

South Carolina Redfish

• Coffee At Sunrise 🌄 and Cocktails At Sunset 🌅
  • Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • “Retirement Is Wonderful”
Re: 6/5/2018
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2018, 02:43:04 PM »

Kate Spade reportedly committed suicide. Sheesh. What drives a person to do that? I hope there aren't children involved.
Yes, she has a young teenager I think.

She hung herself with a scarf in her own house.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2018, 02:54:23 PM »

Speaking of then and now monies, and the RIP for Dwight Clark....his salary with the 49ers in his first year was 30K.
Billy Cannon died about 3 weeks ago and his his first overall draft pick story sounds more like now than then less a few commas and zeros.

In November 1959, Cannon signed a contract with Los Angeles Rams general manager Pete Rozelle, in which he agreed to play for the Rams in the National Football League. The contract was for three years for $30,000, plus a $10,000 signing bonus. Two months later, on the field after LSU's Sugar Bowl loss, Cannon signed another contract; this one was with the American Football League's Houston Oilers, whose owner Bud Adams offered Cannon $33,000 a year for three years with a $10,000 signing bonus.  At Cannon's request, Adams also promised him a Cadillac for his father.  When it became known that he had signed with two different teams, the Rams filed a suit that claimed Cannon was bound by their contract and could not sign with Houston.  Judge William Lindberg ruled against the Rams, stating the contracts were void and that Rozelle had taken advantage of Cannon's naivete. Lindberg described Cannon as "exceptionally naive ... a provincial lad untutored and unwise in the ways of the business world.  "The AFL's victory against the established NFL helped bring legitimacy to the fledgling league.  After the ruling, Cannon finalized his contract to play in the AFL for the Oilers. The contract made him the first $100,000 professional football player.

As one of the highest-paid players in professional football, he was heckled early on by opposing players.

And after all that he ended up broke and in prison.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2018, 02:58:13 PM »

Kate Spade reportedly committed suicide. Sheesh. What drives a person to do that? I hope there aren't children involved.

That's tragic. I often wonder what drives a person to that? Depression is a horrible thing.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2018, 03:01:01 PM »

Speaking of then and now monies, and the RIP for Dwight Clark....his salary with the 49ers in his first year was 30K.
Billy Cannon died about 3 weeks ago and his his first overall draft pick story sounds more like now than then less a few commas and zeros.

In November 1959, Cannon signed a contract with Los Angeles Rams general manager Pete Rozelle, in which he agreed to play for the Rams in the National Football League. The contract was for three years for $30,000, plus a $10,000 signing bonus. Two months later, on the field after LSU's Sugar Bowl loss, Cannon signed another contract; this one was with the American Football League's Houston Oilers, whose owner Bud Adams offered Cannon $33,000 a year for three years with a $10,000 signing bonus.  At Cannon's request, Adams also promised him a Cadillac for his father.  When it became known that he had signed with two different teams, the Rams filed a suit that claimed Cannon was bound by their contract and could not sign with Houston.  Judge William Lindberg ruled against the Rams, stating the contracts were void and that Rozelle had taken advantage of Cannon's naivete. Lindberg described Cannon as "exceptionally naive ... a provincial lad untutored and unwise in the ways of the business world.  "The AFL's victory against the established NFL helped bring legitimacy to the fledgling league.  After the ruling, Cannon finalized his contract to play in the AFL for the Oilers. The contract made him the first $100,000 professional football player.

As one of the highest-paid players in professional football, he was heckled early on by opposing players.

And after all that he ended up broke and in prison.
That's sad too.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2018, 03:01:44 PM »

That's tragic. I often wonder what drives a person to that? Depression is a horrible thing.
Yep, has to be a mighty lot wrong to do that.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2018, 03:07:54 PM »

Tomorrow is fishing day then Thursday is Cataract Surgery Assessment day.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2018, 04:08:19 PM »

Fishing sounds like lots of fun. Although usually that just means smoking cigars on a boat. Nothing wrong with that.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Summertime
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2018, 04:13:08 PM »

Good luck with that , well with both, but mostly that.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Summertime
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2018, 04:14:09 PM »

Fishing sounds like lots of fun. Although usually that just means smoking cigars on a boat. Nothing wrong with that.
Those days are unfortunate when the stupid fish keep interrupting your cigar and beers.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2018, 05:27:09 PM »

Morning, all.
Good morning, LTG.
Morning, Tony. Got a Perdomo event later today, Nick will be there to hobnob with the lower classes.
I will be sure to pull out a Perdomo stick for my commute home cigar.
As promised. Albeit a lounge exclusive. Perdomo Yellow Jacket. Nice cigar.

Edit: Could use a touch up my lighter died.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Summertime
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2018, 06:02:08 PM »

Time to go track down some chowdah and a labsta roll.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2018, 06:04:02 PM »

Time to go track down some chowdah and a labsta roll.
Don't go over your per diem or there will be questions. Lobster prices have supposedly spiked.

Threebean

« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2018, 10:56:14 PM »

Per diem lull.

Threebean

« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2018, 10:56:40 PM »

But a lobster roll sounds pretty darn good.

Threebean

« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2018, 10:57:16 PM »

Looks like I won't get a mancave smoke in until Friday afternoon.  Oh well, something to look forward too. (TNWSS)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8