CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: 8/4/2017  (Read 8357 times)

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
Re: 8/4/2017
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2017, 09:33:57 PM »

@NJDave: I'm asking because you're probably the closest to it...

When colleges look at your net worth to figure out financial aid, etc. Do they look at retirement accounts too? How about pensions?
Retirement accounts are included, pensions are not unless you are drawing on it at the time.
Good that I asked. Because I have an opportunity to roll my pension into an IRA but it sounds life it may not be worth it.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2017, 09:49:59 PM »

When colleges look at your net worth to figure out financial aid, etc. Do they look at retirement accounts too? How about pensions?
Retirement accounts are included, pensions are not unless you are drawing on it at the time.
Good that I asked. Because I have an opportunity to roll my pension into an IRA but it sounds life it may not be worth it.
I don't know if this article is correct or current but it states, "Retirement assets such as 401k, 403b, IRAs, SEP, SIMPLE, Keogh, profit sharing, pensions and Roth IRAs are not included in the calculation of EFC under any of the three EFC methodologies. Assets that aren’t in retirement accounts — balances in checking, savings, CDs, brokerage accounts, money market, investment real estate, stocks, bonds, mutual funds, ETFs, commodities and 529 college savings and prepaid plans—do get included in the EFC formulas."

Full article:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/troyonink/2014/02/14/how-assets-hurt-college-aid-eligibility-on-fafsa-and-css-profile/amp/

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2017, 10:00:09 PM »

Freudian slip. I meant "like" it may not be worth it.

Threebean

« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2017, 10:29:21 PM »

Not that I know WTF I'm talking about, but does it make a difference on the source of the pension?  I.E. it's "solvency".  A lot of public pensions are in trouble.  Private not so much, unless you work for an Enron type. 

Threebean

« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2017, 10:30:57 PM »

And his short list would be treated as a liability. 

Threebean

« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2017, 10:43:33 PM »

Not that I know WTF I'm talking about, but does it make a difference on the source of the pension?  I.E. it's "solvency".  A lot of public pensions are in trouble.  Private not so much, unless you work for an Enron type.
Edit: My point is do with your pension the most prudent thing long-term financially and not what might be more beneficial from a FAFSA point of view.

sfish

« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2017, 10:44:28 PM »

Had a well aged EPC Cardinal Maduro tonight, won them for a song on the bid back in the day. Very nice, I find that EPCs in general age very well

Threebean

« Reply #127 on: August 04, 2017, 10:53:40 PM »

Had a well aged EPC Cardinal Maduro tonight, won them for a song on the bid back in the day. Very nice, I find that EPCs in general age very well
Good For You, Mr. Fish.  For some reason I never became an EPC fan despite trying various sticks.  More for you, as they say.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2017, 10:54:42 PM »

I completely agree with that.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]