CigarBanter

Cigar Banter => Daily Cigar Deals Discussion => Topic started by: CigarBanter on July 13, 2020, 12:00:19 AM

Title: 7/13/2020
Post by: CigarBanter on July 13, 2020, 12:00:19 AM
Happy Monday!  Any cigar deals on the various internet sites? Join in this discussion and perhaps learn something about cigars along the way.  Warning: don't proceed if you have thin skin but don't be afraid to post either...  And welcome aboard!
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 13, 2020, 05:24:42 AM
Let us begin week 18 of quarantine life.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: bluecollar on July 13, 2020, 06:39:44 AM
Let us begin week 18 of quarantine life.
Sounds like you need to get out? I had to chuckle I was at the stores over the weekend and anything recreational is completely Gone!
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 13, 2020, 07:00:04 AM
Let us begin week 18 of quarantine life.
Sounds like you need to get out? I had to chuckle I was at the stores over the weekend and anything recreational is completely Gone!
I'm pretty much only going out for essentials right now, though, we did venture out yesterday to get some shave ice. Went there because my youngest saw they were offering Harry Potter stuff, so I needed a butterbeer slush. But our county has had a spike in cases, so we're at a stage where masks are mandatory now if you're going somewhere, so not much going out for fun here.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 13, 2020, 07:01:42 AM
Good morning, Rick and Dave.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 13, 2020, 07:03:36 AM

Let us begin week 18 of quarantine life.
Sounds like you need to get out? I had to chuckle I was at the stores over the weekend and anything recreational is completely Gone!
I'm pretty much only going out for essentials right now, though, we did venture out yesterday to get some shave ice. Went there because my youngest saw they were offering Harry Potter stuff, so I needed a butterbeer slush. But our county has had a spike in cases, so we're at a stage where masks are mandatory now if you're going somewhere, so not much going out for fun here.

It's always those swing states that are spiking. Coincidence?

But on a separate note, butterbeer slush sounds nice.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: bluecollar on July 13, 2020, 07:08:52 AM
Good morning, Rick and Dave.
Good Morning Mr. Mayor.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: bluecollar on July 13, 2020, 07:13:14 AM
Let us begin week 18 of quarantine life.
Sounds like you need to get out? I had to chuckle I was at the stores over the weekend and anything recreational is completely Gone!
I'm pretty much only going out for essentials right now, though, we did venture out yesterday to get some shave ice. Went there because my youngest saw they were offering Harry Potter stuff, so I needed a butterbeer slush. But our county has had a spike in cases, so we're at a stage where masks are mandatory now if you're going somewhere, so not much going out for fun here.
I'm pretty much doing the same thing. Only going out for essentials but I'm staying active. Only golfed 3 times. Biking, dog walks, etc. I can see it now schools are trying to reopen. It's a cluster F.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 13, 2020, 07:22:26 AM

Let us begin week 18 of quarantine life.
Sounds like you need to get out? I had to chuckle I was at the stores over the weekend and anything recreational is completely Gone!
I'm pretty much only going out for essentials right now, though, we did venture out yesterday to get some shave ice. Went there because my youngest saw they were offering Harry Potter stuff, so I needed a butterbeer slush. But our county has had a spike in cases, so we're at a stage where masks are mandatory now if you're going somewhere, so not much going out for fun here.

It's always those swing states that are spiking. Coincidence?

But on a separate note, butterbeer slush sounds nice.
It was delightful.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 13, 2020, 07:25:45 AM
Let us begin week 18 of quarantine life.
Sounds like you need to get out? I had to chuckle I was at the stores over the weekend and anything recreational is completely Gone!
I'm pretty much only going out for essentials right now, though, we did venture out yesterday to get some shave ice. Went there because my youngest saw they were offering Harry Potter stuff, so I needed a butterbeer slush. But our county has had a spike in cases, so we're at a stage where masks are mandatory now if you're going somewhere, so not much going out for fun here.
I'm pretty much doing the same thing. Only going out for essentials but I'm staying active. Only golfed 3 times. Biking, dog walks, etc. I can see it now schools are trying to reopen. It's a cluster F.
Haven't golfed yet, and honestly, I don't really expect to this year. Though, have been going on walks with the kids, so trying to stay at least a little active.

And yes, the thought of them trying to open schools now is laughable at best. This thing had just started, and everyone made the right call to go remote for the rest of the year. Now, the number of cases in the country is many, many times what it was, and people are like, fuck it, I need the kids out of the house. There's just no good way to open schools, and anyone who tries is going to see a surge in cases. Maybe when teachers and kids start dying, people will get their heads out of their asses? We'll see, but somehow, I doubt it.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: bluecollar on July 13, 2020, 07:44:15 AM
[...]

In Western NY we have a lot of private schools. Their future depends on reopening. They don't get all the funding from the state and many may close for good. Their operating budgets are based upon enrollment. Tough line to walk.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 13, 2020, 07:58:04 AM
[...]

I suppose, if you consider choosing between keeping a school open or putting hundreds of kids and teachers lives at risk a tough line to walk.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 13, 2020, 08:01:49 AM
Perhaps this should be the year we stop focusing on curriculum and start focusing on things kids will need. Instead of the 4 factors that started WW1, the powerhouse of the cell and algebra, we teach them about how compound interest works, the true cost of carrying debt and how to create and stick to a budget. This is something I see people say every year, usually in jest. Well, maybe this is the year to experiment with it.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Threebean on July 13, 2020, 08:05:05 AM

Let us begin week 18 of quarantine life.
Sounds like you need to get out? I had to chuckle I was at the stores over the weekend and anything recreational is completely Gone!
I'm pretty much only going out for essentials right now, though, we did venture out yesterday to get some shave ice. Went there because my youngest saw they were offering Harry Potter stuff, so I needed a butterbeer slush. But our county has had a spike in cases, so we're at a stage where masks are mandatory now if you're going somewhere, so not much going out for fun here.

It's always those swing states that are spiking. Coincidence?

But on a separate note, butterbeer slush sounds nice.
It was delightful.
TNWSS
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 13, 2020, 08:14:37 AM

Let us begin week 18 of quarantine life.
Sounds like you need to get out? I had to chuckle I was at the stores over the weekend and anything recreational is completely Gone!
I'm pretty much only going out for essentials right now, though, we did venture out yesterday to get some shave ice. Went there because my youngest saw they were offering Harry Potter stuff, so I needed a butterbeer slush. But our county has had a spike in cases, so we're at a stage where masks are mandatory now if you're going somewhere, so not much going out for fun here.

It's always those swing states that are spiking. Coincidence?

But on a separate note, butterbeer slush sounds nice.
It was delightful.
TNWSS
Amen to that.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Threebean on July 13, 2020, 08:16:00 AM
Good morning oh ye few Banterites. Banterlonians. Bantervillians?
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 13, 2020, 08:32:32 AM
Sounds like Washington will be retiring the Redskins name today, with a new name to come at a later time.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Threebean on July 13, 2020, 08:46:38 AM
Sounds like Washington will be retiring the Redskins name today, with a new name to come at a later time.
(https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ActiveLazyFlounder-size_restricted.gif)
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: bluecollar on July 13, 2020, 09:07:09 AM
Good morning oh ye few Banterites. Banterlonians. Bantervillians?
Good morning Mr. Bean
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: bluecollar on July 13, 2020, 09:09:21 AM
[...]

Please don't take this the wrong way but you may have a different opinion on things if you were not able to work from home. I know way too many people out of work.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 13, 2020, 09:15:38 AM
[...]

Oh absolutely, I'm lucky enough to be home, and I realize many people don't have the same ability. There's no one good solution here, but I do know that sending back the human petri dishes we call kids to an enclosed environment in the middle of an escalating pandemic is a bad solution.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: FloridaDean on July 13, 2020, 09:33:04 AM
that post letdown after returning from a wonderful vacation has set in.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 13, 2020, 09:34:42 AM
that post letdown after returning from a wonderful vacation has set in.
Sounds like you need 100 CCs of hot tub, stat!
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 13, 2020, 09:36:22 AM
Sounds like Washington will be retiring the Redskins name today, with a new name to come at a later time.
I was just about to post about this. Late again.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 13, 2020, 09:40:08 AM
[...]

I'm torn on this one too. I don't believe this should be a partisan issue. I know I'm extremely lucky to be able to work from home although I'm miserable doing it. Wish I can say I had it all figured out. Our school district sent out a survey asking what we should do in September. Not sure how I'm answering it.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 13, 2020, 09:40:27 AM
Good morning, Mark and Dean.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 13, 2020, 09:48:10 AM
[...]

I agree about it needing to be partisan, though, we all know it isn't. The very thought that a pandemic could somehow be political shows how messed up we are as a country. And that's as close to a political post as I'll get.

Our district sent one too, and I honestly don't remember if I even responded. Even if I had, I think the last couple of months have changed a lot of things, so I'm not sure my original answers would've even mattered or been relevant at this point.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 13, 2020, 09:55:15 AM
Sounds like Washington will be retiring the Redskins name today, with a new name to come at a later time.
I was just about to post about this. Late again.
They already released their statement anyways. It said, "we didn't care about changing the name, despite people telling us for years it might have been cultural appropriation. But now that potentially losing a crapton of money is involved, we blinked faster than even WE thought possible!"

I may have paraphrased a bit. ;)
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 13, 2020, 10:10:09 AM
Let us begin week 18 of quarantine life.
Sounds like you need to get out? I had to chuckle I was at the stores over the weekend and anything recreational is completely Gone!
I'm pretty much only going out for essentials right now, though, we did venture out yesterday to get some shave ice. Went there because my youngest saw they were offering Harry Potter stuff, so I needed a butterbeer slush. But our county has had a spike in cases, so we're at a stage where masks are mandatory now if you're going somewhere, so not much going out for fun here.
I'm pretty much doing the same thing. Only going out for essentials but I'm staying active. Only golfed 3 times. Biking, dog walks, etc. I can see it now schools are trying to reopen. It's a cluster F.
And Dean was out wrestling goats and transportin' turkeys.
Title: .
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 13, 2020, 10:11:17 AM
that post letdown after returning from a wonderful vacation has set in.
Shouldn't have left so soon!
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 13, 2020, 10:12:36 AM
Sounds like Washington will be retiring the Redskins name today, with a new name to come at a later time.
I was just about to post about this. Late again.
They already released their statement anyways. It said, "we didn't care about changing the name, despite people telling us for years it might have been cultural appropriation. But now that potentially losing a crapton of money is involved, we blinked faster than even WE thought possible!"

I may have paraphrased a bit. ;)
Wonder if those Cleveland people will follow suit?   ;)
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 13, 2020, 10:14:21 AM
Let us begin week 18 of quarantine life.
Sounds like you need to get out? I had to chuckle I was at the stores over the weekend and anything recreational is completely Gone!
I'm pretty much only going out for essentials right now, though, we did venture out yesterday to get some shave ice. Went there because my youngest saw they were offering Harry Potter stuff, so I needed a butterbeer slush. But our county has had a spike in cases, so we're at a stage where masks are mandatory now if you're going somewhere, so not much going out for fun here.
I'm pretty much doing the same thing. Only going out for essentials but I'm staying active. Only golfed 3 times. Biking, dog walks, etc. I can see it now schools are trying to reopen. It's a cluster F.
And Dean was out wrestling goats and transportin' turkeys.
He got more exercise than me last week, no question.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 13, 2020, 10:16:24 AM
Sounds like Washington will be retiring the Redskins name today, with a new name to come at a later time.
I was just about to post about this. Late again.
They already released their statement anyways. It said, "we didn't care about changing the name, despite people telling us for years it might have been cultural appropriation. But now that potentially losing a crapton of money is involved, we blinked faster than even WE thought possible!"

I may have paraphrased a bit. ;)
Wonder if those Cleveland people will follow suit?   ;)
They've already said they're reviewing it, so it's only a matter of time. It was a poorly-kept secret that we only got the All Star game last year because we ditched Chief Wahoo as a logo, so the name changing is inevitable. Personally, I'd like to see us go back to the Spiders, cause the logo possibilities are fantastic.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 13, 2020, 10:17:26 AM
Today is Monday, July 13, the 195th day of 2020. There are 171 days left in the year.

Today’s highlight:

On July 13, 2013, a jury in Sanford, Florida, cleared neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman of all charges in the shooting of Trayvon Martin, the unarmed Black teenager whose killing unleashed furious debate over racial profiling, self-defense and equal justice.

On this date:

In 1787, the Congress of the Confederation adopted the Northwest Ordinance, which established a government in the Northwest Territory, an area corresponding to the present-day Midwest and Upper Midwest.

In 1863, deadly rioting against the Civil War military draft erupted in New York City. (The insurrection was put down three days later.)

In 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson nominated Thurgood Marshall to be U.S. solicitor general; Marshall became the first Black jurist appointed to the post. (Two years later, Johnson nominated Marshall to the U.S. Supreme Court.)

In 1973, former presidential aide Alexander P. Butterfield revealed to Senate Watergate Committee staff members the existence of President Richard Nixon’s secret White House taping system. (Butterfield’s public revelation came three days later.)

In 1985, “Live Aid,” an international rock concert in London, Philadelphia, Moscow and Sydney, took place to raise money for Africa’s starving people.

In 2018, a grand jury indictment, sought by special counsel Robert Mueller, alleged that the Russian government was behind a sweeping conspiracy to interfere in the 2016 U.S. presidential election; the grand jury indicted 12 Russian military intelligence officers on charges that they had hacked Hillary Clinton’s campaign and the Democratic Party.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 13, 2020, 10:18:09 AM
Ten years ago: Vernon Baker, a Black U.S. soldier who belatedly received the Medal of Honor for World War II valor in 1997 after historians concluded he’d been wrongly denied the award because of his race, died at his home near St. Maries, Idaho; he was 90.

Five years ago: New York City reached a $5.9 million settlement with the family of Eric Garner, a Black man who died after being placed in a white police officer’s chokehold.

One year ago: A power outage crippled the heart of Manhattan just as Saturday night Broadway shows were set to go on, sending theatergoers into the streets and bringing subways to a near halt; electricity was restored by about midnight.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 13, 2020, 10:19:43 AM
Today’s Birthdays:

Game show announcer Johnny Gilbert (TV: “Jeopardy!”) is 96.
Actor Patrick Stewart is 80.
Actor Robert Forster is 78.
Actor Harrison Ford is 78.
Singer-guitarist Roger McGuinn (The Byrds) is 78.
Actor-comedian Cheech Marin is 74.
musician Mark “The Animal” Mendoza (Twisted Sister) is 64.
Actor-director Cameron Crowe is 63.
Bluegrass singer Rhonda Vincent is 58.
Actor Ken Jeong is 51.
Actress Ashley Scott is 43.
Rock musician Will Champion (Coldplay) is 42.
St. Louis Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina is 38.
Actor Colton Haynes is 32.
Soul singer Leon Bridges is 31.
Actress Hayley Erin (“General Hospital”) is 26.
Actor Kyle Harrison Breitkopf is 15.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 13, 2020, 10:21:00 AM
Been having trouble with the source site for Today in History.  Been delayed in putting up dates.  Had to use an alternate site that appears to have abbreviated it.  Better than nothing.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 13, 2020, 10:22:23 AM
Morning GolfinRick, RecluseDave, HappyAtHomeTony and AllGreenBean.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 13, 2020, 10:24:45 AM
Sounds like Washington will be retiring the Redskins name today, with a new name to come at a later time.
So what name they going to go with?  Washington DoNothings, Hypocrits, Lousy Politicians?  Elephants or Donkeys?
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: razgueado on July 13, 2020, 10:26:30 AM
Morning, muchachos.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 13, 2020, 10:30:28 AM
Sounds like Washington will be retiring the Redskins name today, with a new name to come at a later time.
So what name they going to go with?  Washington DoNothings, Hypocrits, Lousy Politicians?  Elephants or Donkeys?
Can't go wrong with any of those. :D
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: razgueado on July 13, 2020, 10:43:41 AM
Sounds like Washington will be retiring the Redskins name today, with a new name to come at a later time.
So what name they going to go with?  Washington DoNothings, Hypocrits, Lousy Politicians?  Elephants or Donkeys?
Can't go wrong with any of those. :D
Washington Democrats.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 13, 2020, 10:47:32 AM
[...]

Yea, but you were miserable working from the office as well.   ;)   ;D
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 13, 2020, 10:49:02 AM
Sounds like Washington will be retiring the Redskins name today, with a new name to come at a later time.
So what name they going to go with?  Washington DoNothings, Hypocrits, Lousy Politicians?  Elephants or Donkeys?
Can't go wrong with any of those. :D
Washington Democrats.
That will probably work after November.  Don't think Trumpf would allow it now....Issue an Executive Order preventing it or something.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: razgueado on July 13, 2020, 11:01:01 AM
[...]

Well, yeah, but...let's do keep in perspective that the mortality rate on this thing is extremely low, especially among those under the age of 60.  So it won't be like the bodies start piling up.  The more immediate crisis will be when it sweeps through a school and there aren't enough teachers available.  That will shut things down real quick.

But there are no good options here.  Just like the economy, you can't keep the schools shut down until this thing is eradicated.  That's a fast track to a lot of really unpleasant and dangerous scenarios that are a lot likelier than people think.  American myopia has romanticized the Great Depression, glossing how over how many people it killed and the fact that it was a major contributor to WWII.

It's all a fustercluck.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: bluecollar on July 13, 2020, 11:08:09 AM
Morning GolfinRick, RecluseDave, HappyAtHomeTony and AllGreenBean.
Good morning Clemson Dave and Mr Raz
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 13, 2020, 11:10:53 AM
[...]

LALTS, #reallyrealnews
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: razgueado on July 13, 2020, 11:12:02 AM
Morning GolfinRick, RecluseDave, HappyAtHomeTony and AllGreenBean.
Good morning Clemson Dave and Mr Raz
Mornin', Rick.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: bluecollar on July 13, 2020, 11:14:52 AM
that post letdown after returning from a wonderful vacation has set in.
I'm glad it was wonderful. Last post I saw from you was I need to quit smoking and thought you might not get much support here.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 13, 2020, 11:19:14 AM
[...]

The mortality rate may be low under 60, but the mortality median age IS trending downwards as things open up and people neglect to take simple precautions. Also, I feel that would be a little comfort to the parents whose kids wind up as one of those "low mortality rate" statistics.

The immediate concern upon schools opening up would not necessarily be the kids, but the parents, grandparents and great-grandparents the kids are exposed to, and who are now exposed to the virus. Not to mention any of those people who come in contact with the parents, grandparents and great-grandparents in stores and whatnot. Especially since people are so against wearing masks because "it violates my rights waaaaaah" or some other such dumbassery.

And for the record, I'm not in the "shut everything the fuck down" camp, because that is not reasonable for any economy. What IS reasonable is taking precautions while you're out, and limiting going out if you can. Unfortunately, this isn't happening here right now, which is why we're setting records for new cases on a daily basis. And don't give me the "but we're testing more" argument, because the percentage of positive tests is also rising, which blows that theory to shreds.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: razgueado on July 13, 2020, 11:21:29 AM
Perhaps this should be the year we stop focusing on curriculum and start focusing on things kids will need. Instead of the 4 factors that started WW1, the powerhouse of the cell and algebra, we teach them about how compound interest works, the true cost of carrying debt and how to create and stick to a budget. This is something I see people say every year, usually in jest. Well, maybe this is the year to experiment with it.
Well, isn't this amazing? Something about public policy that you and I agree on. The public school system is decades overdue to be transformed from a factory for assembly-line drones into a means of preparing people to live in a finance-driven information economy.

We'll have to overcome a century's worth of Marxist influence, however.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 13, 2020, 11:27:22 AM
[...]

Glad I don't have any skin in that game.  No good answer.  But kids would probably be more compliant in that setting over adults out and about socially.  HS would probably be least compliant and highest risk.  More so than college (except for the COVID parties... :(   ::)   >:()
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 13, 2020, 11:28:40 AM
that post letdown after returning from a wonderful vacation has set in.
I'm glad it was wonderful. Last post I saw from you was I need to quit smoking and thought you might not get much support here.
Really, that would be one more that I have to pick up the slack for...
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 13, 2020, 11:29:00 AM
Morning Mr. Raz.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 13, 2020, 11:31:14 AM
Perhaps this should be the year we stop focusing on curriculum and start focusing on things kids will need. Instead of the 4 factors that started WW1, the powerhouse of the cell and algebra, we teach them about how compound interest works, the true cost of carrying debt and how to create and stick to a budget. This is something I see people say every year, usually in jest. Well, maybe this is the year to experiment with it.
Well, isn't this amazing? Something about public policy that you and I agree on. The public school system is decades overdue to be transformed from a factory for assembly-line drones into a means of preparing people to live in a finance-driven information economy.

We'll have to overcome a century's worth of Marxist influence, however.
And the ability to assess data, weigh opinions understand statistics (for better or worse), the scientific method and research.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: razgueado on July 13, 2020, 11:32:27 AM
[...]

Oh, I agree that nobody wants their kid or grandma to be one of the statistics, or themselves to be one of the small percentage of those who develop the blood-clotting symptom and die of stroke. And I don't know what "we're testing more" argument" you think I'm going to postulate. I may not be on the front lines of this thing, but I'm a lot closer to it than to the rear echelon. I have for months been meeting with epidemiologists and medical professionals several times a day, and a couple of times on weekends. And I just spent most of the weekend bringing new disease-tracking systems online for the state of Washington (y'know, ground zero, as they say).  So I'm not in the "it's a hoax" camp, and I'm well aware that testing does fuck-all except get us closer to accurate infection rates.

Regardless, I agree with precautions, but as you've pointed out, keeping everything shut down is completely unworkable, and the tipping point where that will start taking a greater mortality toll than the disease itself is a lot closer than people on either side of the debate, especially the politicians, think it is.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: bluecollar on July 13, 2020, 11:37:22 AM
A hard reality is businesses and institutions are using this pandemic to cut their workforce. I'm considered essential and have been working throughout. I'm in a sad place today. Many of my coworkers will not be back. Grounds, Mechanics, General workers, Building Maintenance Repair. All furloughed now outsourced. I'm upset and sad. The politics behind this move are immoral. Sad sad day.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 13, 2020, 11:39:01 AM
[...]

Also should throw in one year's military service and one year (during HS or College working in a service industry....preferably food service....position.  Those liberal arts would give us a more rounded person.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 13, 2020, 11:40:49 AM
Perhaps this should be the year we stop focusing on curriculum and start focusing on things kids will need. Instead of the 4 factors that started WW1, the powerhouse of the cell and algebra, we teach them about how compound interest works, the true cost of carrying debt and how to create and stick to a budget. This is something I see people say every year, usually in jest. Well, maybe this is the year to experiment with it.
Well, isn't this amazing? Something about public policy that you and I agree on. The public school system is decades overdue to be transformed from a factory for assembly-line drones into a means of preparing people to live in a finance-driven information economy.

We'll have to overcome a century's worth of Marxist influence, however.
Well hot damn, it's a brave new world now, isn't it?
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 13, 2020, 11:42:01 AM
[...]

Oh, everyone working in some sort of customer service position would be fantastic. That would surely give us a lot fewer assholes out there, Karen-ing it up because someone wouldn't take their month-old coupon. :D
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 13, 2020, 11:43:48 AM
that post letdown after returning from a wonderful vacation has set in.
I'm glad it was wonderful. Last post I saw from you was I need to quit smoking and thought you might not get much support here.
I just ignored that.  Figured he had had a bad burrito or something...
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: razgueado on July 13, 2020, 11:47:01 AM
[...]

I do have skin in the game. My wife is a teacher, my youngest son is a college student, and I have two grandnephews living with us (age 9 and 13). So even though I haven't had to go to the office since middle of March, and I still get my paycheck, I often feel like I'm living with unexploded ordnance in my home, wondering each day if this will be the day it decides to go off.

But I'm not possessed of any illusion that it's possible to create a utopia in this world where everyone will live forever in peace, harmony and safety if we just get rid of all the guns and redistribute all the wealth. People are gonna die prematurely, many unfairly and preventably, and that could include me, my wife, my kids, or my kin. It's a crapshoot.

Maybe I'm extra cynical today because the daughter of a longtime friend and coworker died a few days ago from massive brain-trauma incurred in a head-on collision. She was the same age as my #1 son, and like him was a band geek, and top ten scholar in high school. The horror of that is sobering. But what are yuh gonna do, y'know? It could happen to me today.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 13, 2020, 11:47:07 AM
[...]

You just can't appreciate it without experiencing it for yourself.  But there will always be Karens and those deferring the experience because of bone spurs or something.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 13, 2020, 11:48:53 AM
[...]

But I'm not possessed of any illusion that it's possible to create a utopian in this world where everyone will live forever in peace, harmony and safety if we just get rid of all the guns and redistribute all the wealth. People are gonna die prematurely, many unfairly and preventably, and that could include me, my wife, my kids, or my kin. It's a crapshoot.

Maybe I'm extra cynical today because the daughter of a longtime friend and coworker died a few days ago from massive brain-trauma incurred in a head-on collision. She was the same age as my #1 son, and like him was a band geek, and top ten scholar in high school. The horror of that is sobering. But what are yuh gonna do, y'know? It could happen to me today.
Nah, the cranky piss and vinigar types live forever... ;)
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 13, 2020, 11:49:45 AM
[...]

;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 13, 2020, 12:15:42 PM
Been having trouble with the source site for Today in History.  Been delayed in putting up dates.  Had to use an alternate site that appears to have abbreviated it.  Better than nothing.
I think it's fine. Thank you for you perseverance.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 13, 2020, 12:17:49 PM

Today’s Birthdays:

Game show announcer Johnny Gilbert (TV: “Jeopardy!”) is 96.
Actor Patrick Stewart is 80.
Actor Robert Forster is 78.
Actor Harrison Ford is 78.
Singer-guitarist Roger McGuinn (The Byrds) is 78.
Actor-comedian Cheech Marin is 74.
musician Mark “The Animal” Mendoza (Twisted Sister) is 64.
Actor-director Cameron Crowe is 63.
Bluegrass singer Rhonda Vincent is 58.
Actor Ken Jeong is 51.
Actress Ashley Scott is 43.
Rock musician Will Champion (Coldplay) is 42.
St. Louis Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina is 38.
Actor Colton Haynes is 32.
Soul singer Leon Bridges is 31.
Actress Hayley Erin (“General Hospital”) is 26.
Actor Kyle Harrison Breitkopf is 15.

Han Solo is 78? Sheesh. Picard is even older. Hope those Depends hold up in space.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 13, 2020, 12:27:25 PM
A hard reality is businesses and institutions are using this pandemic to cut their workforce. I'm considered essential and have been working throughout. I'm in a sad place today. Many of my coworkers will not be back. Grounds, Mechanics, General workers, Building Maintenance Repair. All furloughed now outsourced. I'm upset and sad. The politics behind this move are immoral. Sad sad day.
I hear ya, buddy. That is sad indeed.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 13, 2020, 12:42:18 PM
[...]

Good morning, Bret. I'm so sorry for your loss. Horrible thing to have happened. Really puts things into perspective.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: razgueado on July 13, 2020, 12:51:53 PM
[...]

Cheyenne McMahan.  Her dad and I traded stories about our kids growing up since they were 8.  Devastating.  RIP.

Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 13, 2020, 01:06:36 PM
[...]

RIP indeed, I couldn't imagine that loss.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Threebean on July 13, 2020, 01:41:53 PM
Sounds like Washington will be retiring the Redskins name today, with a new name to come at a later time.
So what name they going to go with?  Washington DoNothings, Hypocrits, Lousy Politicians?  Elephants or Donkeys?
Swamp Thangs
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Threebean on July 13, 2020, 01:50:31 PM
Been having trouble with the source site for Today in History.  Been delayed in putting up dates.  Had to use an alternate site that appears to have abbreviated it.  Better than nothing.
I think it's fine. Thank you for you perseverance.
His performance ladder of excellence has lost a rung or two, however.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 13, 2020, 01:51:02 PM
Sounds like Washington will be retiring the Redskins name today, with a new name to come at a later time.
So what name they going to go with?  Washington DoNothings, Hypocrits, Lousy Politicians?  Elephants or Donkeys?
Swamp Thangs
I saw someone online today said we should go by the Wild Things, and use this as our logo. Gotta say, I didn't hate the notion.

(https://www.logolynx.com/images/logolynx/03/03b0cc63716293a7ebdac51ec74a29aa.jpeg)
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 13, 2020, 01:51:35 PM
Been having trouble with the source site for Today in History.  Been delayed in putting up dates.  Had to use an alternate site that appears to have abbreviated it.  Better than nothing.
I think it's fine. Thank you for you perseverance.
His performance ladder of excellence has lost a rung or two, however.
Might have to look into docking his banter salary.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 13, 2020, 01:52:34 PM
Sounds like Washington will be retiring the Redskins name today, with a new name to come at a later time.
So what name they going to go with?  Washington DoNothings, Hypocrits, Lousy Politicians?  Elephants or Donkeys?
Swamp Thangs
I saw someone online today said we should go by the Wild Things, and use this as our logo. Gotta say, I didn't hate the notion.

(https://www.logolynx.com/images/logolynx/03/03b0cc63716293a7ebdac51ec74a29aa.jpeg)
Maybe adjust the hairstyle and lose the feathers, but we may be onto something here.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Threebean on July 13, 2020, 01:57:22 PM
Been having trouble with the source site for Today in History.  Been delayed in putting up dates.  Had to use an alternate site that appears to have abbreviated it.  Better than nothing.
I think it's fine. Thank you for you perseverance.
His performance ladder of excellence has lost a rung or two, however.
Might have to look into docking his banter salary.
At the very least omit the sprinkles.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 13, 2020, 02:01:46 PM
[...]

No parent should ever have to go through that. My heart breaks for those that do.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 13, 2020, 02:03:55 PM
Been having trouble with the source site for Today in History.  Been delayed in putting up dates.  Had to use an alternate site that appears to have abbreviated it.  Better than nothing.
I think it's fine. Thank you for you perseverance.
His performance ladder of excellence has lost a rung or two, however.
Let's just say that there is no way to exceed expectations with that kind of performance. But he'll meet those expectorations every time!
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on July 13, 2020, 02:20:57 PM
Hazzuh!
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: bluecollar on July 13, 2020, 02:45:57 PM
[...]

Sorry for your loss Raz. God has a special place for her. He has to because my faith keeps me going.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Threebean on July 13, 2020, 02:57:39 PM
Been having trouble with the source site for Today in History.  Been delayed in putting up dates.  Had to use an alternate site that appears to have abbreviated it.  Better than nothing.
I think it's fine. Thank you for you perseverance.
His performance ladder of excellence has lost a rung or two, however.
Let's just say that there is no way to exceed expectations with that kind of performance. But he'll meet those expectations every time!
TNWSS
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: razgueado on July 13, 2020, 03:01:33 PM
[...]

Your faith, my faith, her faith, and her father's faith.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 13, 2020, 03:18:09 PM
Ban all the scientists and their inconvenient facts...shame these folks don't share their "evidence"

“Everyone is lying. The CDC, Media, Democrats, our Doctors, not all but most, that we are told to trust. I think it's all about the election and keeping the economy from coming back, which is about the election. I'm sick of it,” Woolery wrote in a tweet shared by the president.

In another post Trump retweeted, Woolery claimed there exists “so much evidence, yes scientific evidence, that schools should open this fall. It's worldwide and it's overwhelming. BUT NO.”
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 13, 2020, 03:20:33 PM
Cooper and Figment, back together again.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: bluecollar on July 13, 2020, 03:55:21 PM
Wow the Figster is getting big.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 13, 2020, 05:10:02 PM
Cooper and Figment, back together again.
You can hardly tell where one dog ends and the other begins.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 13, 2020, 07:36:11 PM
So I killed the banter, did I?
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: bluecollar on July 13, 2020, 08:07:10 PM
So I killed the banter, did I?
No you didn't yell Hazzuh and run like your day was done similar to Fred at the Slate rock and gravel company.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: bluecollar on July 13, 2020, 08:12:27 PM
12 in the books. Smoking this turd  in the man cave and it's not half bad. (https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200714/c7d8eb99e583d572308ebb298a7e8136.jpg)
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 13, 2020, 08:25:26 PM
So I killed the banter, did I?
No you didn't yell Hazzuh and run like your day was done similar to Fred at the Slate rock and gravel company.
Hahaha. It is sorta like he's yelling, YABADABADOO!
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on July 13, 2020, 08:27:47 PM
12 in the books. Smoking this turd  in the man cave and it's not half bad. (https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200714/c7d8eb99e583d572308ebb298a7e8136.jpg)
Why do you call it a turd? Haven't had a BrickHouse in quite some time but they were pretty solid, back in the day.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 13, 2020, 08:32:29 PM
So I killed the banter, did I?
Nah, we're rolling right along...
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 13, 2020, 08:33:05 PM
12 in the books. Smoking this turd  in the man cave and it's not half bad. (https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200714/c7d8eb99e583d572308ebb298a7e8136.jpg)
Why do you call it a turd? Haven't had a BrickHouse in quite some time but they were pretty solid, back in the day.
Yea, so was I..... ???
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: bluecollar on July 13, 2020, 08:41:14 PM
12 in the books. Smoking this turd  in the man cave and it's not half bad. (https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200714/c7d8eb99e583d572308ebb298a7e8136.jpg)
Why do you call it a turd? Haven't had a BrickHouse in quite some time but they were pretty solid, back in the day.
Yea, so was I..... ???
lol
I wasn't sure what I wanted to be honest. Solid smoke.  6x60 is not my preferred vita. It was from a sampler if I remember correctly.
Title: Re: 7/13/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on July 13, 2020, 09:14:53 PM
Dogs crated, evening can begin.