Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

  • Administrator
12/29/2016
« on: December 29, 2016, 12:00:05 AM »

Forget trying to find any cigar deals today. Instead, let's spend the last days of the year discussing the following survey:
http://cigarbanter.com/forum/index.php?topic=989.0

Join in and perhaps learn something new along the way. And welcome to cigarbanter.com!

Morning Gents

December 29 is...........Pepper Pot Day

Pepper Pot, a thick and spicy soup that is an American staple dish, especially in the southern regions of the United States. What is Pepper Pot? Well, it’s a soup that contains twelve different ingredients. Now that we know the ingredients for the Pepper Pot, let us look into the history of the day named for it, Pepper Pot Day, shall we?

History Of Pepper Pot Day

In the modern world of today, Pepper Pot Soup has many, many variations to it. But the soups true origins began on December 29th of 1777 during the Revolutionary War, the Continental Army had been experiencing an exceptionally harsh winter during the battle of Valley Forge. The soldiers were low on food because the farmers in the area had gone and sold all their supplies to the British Army for cash rather than the weak currency that the Continental soldiers could offer them for their crops. Christopher Ludwick, a baker general of the Continental Army, gathered whatever food he could scrounge together to feed the cold and frail soldiers.

The chef was able to find scraps of tripe, meat, and some peppercorn. He then mixed the ingredients together with some other seasonings and created the hot, thick, and spicy soup we now know as pepper pot soup. It quickly became known as “the soup that won the war.” The soup gave the soldiers the warmth and strength that they needed to push the enemies back through the harsh winter weather.

Debbie  Reynolds -- who rose to stardom in "Singin' in the Rain" and quickly became a staple among Hollywood royalty -- died Wednesday as a result of a stroke, TMZ has learned ... just one day after her daughter Carrie Fisher passed away ... this according to her son Todd.

Debbie was rushed to a hospital shortly after 1 PM when someone at the Beverly Hills home of her son, Todd, called 911 to report a possible stroke. We're told Debbie and Todd were making funeral plans for Carrie, who died Tuesday of cardiac arrest.

Debbie famously divorced Eddie Fisher in 1959 after his affair with Elizabeth Taylor. Debbie married 2 more times in 1960 and 1984.

She played iconic roles in "Tammy and the Bachelor" and "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" ... for which she earned an Oscar nomination.

Carrie's relationship with Debbie was the focus of Carrie's semi-autobiographical book, "Postcards from the Edge," which was later adapted for the big screen, starring Meryl Streep and Shirley MacLaine.

Debbie's survived by her son Todd, who tells us, "She's with Carrie."
She was 84.

Early morning cigar rundown:

We are Jamming, Graycliff's up now (and will be for quite a while) :(

Door #3 @ the Sister:  My Uzi Weighs a Ton Bait Fish  15/$42.50.    Ignore the other 2 doors

Montecristo at the FU

Monster site currently not opening, update:  still not working.

Work Time but TGIF for me!  BBL

Early morning cigar rundown:

We are Jamming, Graycliff's up now (and will be for quite a while) :(

Door #3 @ the Sister:  My Uzi Weighs a Ton Bait Fish  15/$42.50.    Ignore the other 2 doors

Montecristo at the FU

Monster site currently not opening, update:  still not working.
Graycliff's still going strong!

Early morning cigar rundown:

We are Jamming, Graycliff's up now (and will be for quite a while) :(

Door #3 @ the Sister:  My Uzi Weighs a Ton Bait Fish  15/$42.50.    Ignore the other 2 doors

Montecristo at the FU

Monster site currently not opening, update:  still not working.
Graycliff's still going strong!
On to La Palina Classics at least.
Morning Dave and Dave!

Today is Thursday, Dec. 29, the 364th day of 2016. There are two days left in the year.

Today's Highlight in History:

On Dec. 29, 1916, James Joyce's first novel, "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man," was first published in book form in New York after being serialized in London.

On this date:

In 1170, Thomas Becket, the Archbishop of Canterbury, was slain in Canterbury Cathedral by knights loyal to King Henry II.

In 1808, the 17th president of the United States, Andrew Johnson, was born in Raleigh, North Carolina.

In 1812, during the War of 1812, the American frigate USS Constitution engaged and severely damaged the British frigate HMS Java off Brazil.

In 1845, Texas was admitted as the 28th state.

In 1890, the Wounded Knee massacre took place in South Dakota as an estimated 300 Sioux Indians were killed by U.S. troops sent to disarm them.

In 1934, Japan formally renounced the Washington Naval Treaty of 1922.

In 1940, during World War II, Germany dropped incendiary bombs on London, setting off what came to be known as "The Second Great Fire of London."

In 1957, singers Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme were married in Las Vegas.

In 1972, Eastern Air Lines Flight 401, a Lockheed L-1011 Tristar, crashed into the Florida Everglades near Miami International Airport, killing 101 of the 176 people aboard.

In 1975, a bomb exploded in the main terminal of New York's LaGuardia Airport, killing 11 people (it's never been determined who was responsible).

In 1986, former British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan died in Sussex, England, at age 92.

In 1996, guerrilla and government leaders in Guatemala signed an accord ending 36 years of civil conflict. North Korea issued an unprecedented apology for sending a spy submarine into South Korean waters.

Ten years ago: Word reached the United States of the execution of former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein (because of the time difference, it was the morning of Dec. 30 in Iraq when the hanging took place). In a statement, President George W. Bush called Saddam's execution an important milestone on Iraq's road to democracy. Gerald R. Ford's flag-draped casket was carried into a church in Palm Desert, California, for a public viewing that marked the start of six days of mourning for the former president. More than 400 people died when a crowded Indonesian ferry sank in the Java Sea.

Five years ago: Fed-up voters in Jamaica threw out the ruling party and delivered a landslide triumph to the opposition People's National Party and its leader, former Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller. The No. 15 Baylor Bears, led by Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III, pulled out an incredible Alamo Bowl victory in the highest-scoring regulation bowl game in history, beating the Washington Huskies 67-56 at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas.

One year ago: Belgian authorities announced they had arrested two men and seized military-type uniforms and Islamic State group propaganda in connection with a suspected plot to unleash holiday season attacks against police and celebrated locations in Brussels. Former "Glee" star Mark Salling was arrested in Los Angeles for investigation of possessing child pornography. (Salling has pleaded not guilty.)

Today's Birthdays: Country singer Rose Lee Maphis is 94. Actress Dina Merrill is 93. Actress Inga Swenson is 84. ABC newscaster Tom Jarriel is 82. Actress Mary Tyler Moore is 80. Actress Barbara Steele is 79. Actor Jon Voight is 78. Country singer Ed Bruce is 77. Rock musician Ray Thomas is 75. Singer Marianne Faithfull is 70. Hall of Fame Jockey Laffit Pincay, Jr. is 70. Actor Ted Danson is 69. Singer-actress Yvonne Elliman is 65. Actress Patricia Clarkson is 57. Comedian Paula Poundstone is 57. Rock singer-musician Jim Reid (The Jesus and Mary Chain) is 55. Actor Michael Cudlitz is 52. Rock singer Dexter Holland (The Offspring) is 51. Actor-comedian Mystro Clark is 50. Actor Jason Gould is 50. News anchor Ashleigh Banfield is 49. Movie director Andy Wachowski is 49. Actress Jennifer Ehle is 47. Actor Patrick Fischler is 47. Rock singer-musician Glen Phillips is 46. Actor Kevin Weisman is 46. Actor Jude Law is 44. Actress Maria Dizzia is 42. Actor Mekhi Phifer (mih-KY' FY'-fuhr) is 42. Actor Shawn Hatosy is 41. Actress Katherine Moennig is 39. Actor Diego Luna is 37. Country singer Jessica Andrews is 33. Actress Jane Levy is 27. Singer-actor-dancer Ross Lynch is 21.

Thought for Today: "Ours is the age of substitutes: Instead of language we have jargon; instead of principles, slogans; and instead of genuine ideas, bright suggestions." - Eric Bentley, British-born American author and educator.

If I ever stop working, I might have a problem. But I never seem to be able to stop working.
Debbie Reynolds

Finding the cutest guy in A.A. is like finding the cutest loony in the bin.
Carrie Fisher

The older you get, the easier it is to spot the phonies. And I just think, how unpleasant for them.
Carrie Fisher

You know how most illnesses have symptoms you can recognize? Like fever, upset stomach, chills, whatever. Well, with manic depression, it's sexual promiscuity, excessive spending, and substance abuse - and that just sounds like a fantastic weekend in Vegas to me!
Carrie Fisher

Good morning, guys.

Early morning cigar rundown:

We are Jamming, Graycliff's up now (and will be for quite a while) :(

Door #3 @ the Sister:  My Uzi Weighs a Ton Bait Fish  15/$42.50.    Ignore the other 2 doors

Montecristo at the FU

Monster site currently not opening, update:  still not working.
Graycliff's still going strong!
On to La Palina Classics at least.
Morning Dave and Dave!
Diesel Uncuts up now 10/$30