Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

SLY

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
« Reply #165 on: April 25, 2016, 11:51:51 PM »

Back to work, shit Retirment is hard work I might need to rethink this plan.
Did you retire already...?
Just for the day, practice day.
Sorry to say, "You don't get a day off from retirement."  Just make sure you have enough money saved to pay bills for yourself, kids, family members, and close friends.  Also, when they say, "I'll pay you back," that actually means, "I have no intentions of paying you back."  I'm still waiting for a $4,000 loan to my brother from 18 years ago, and he's a very upright religious minister.  I guess he misunderstood when I said pay, he must have thought I said, pray it back to me.
BD, my condolences ... I'm in the middle of something like that myself.  Have you tried sending him a simple note?  Phone conversation is more difficult, they can hang up, dispute what you're saying ... on paper, you can lay out the specifics of your case, then they have to read it and think about it first ... rather than lashing out irrationally on the phone.  Hope you get a good response.  Of course forgiving the debt also gets rid of it.   ... see you guys later ... have too much to do ... would love to go to CFest at least to meet up with the guys ... have to prepare for a move ...
My brother's never had much money ever since he became a minister, so I just sort of wrote it off.  It's pretty hard to get money from some one that doesn't have it.  The funny thing was, he took a free over the road truck driving course with a commitment of working for them for 1 year.  That way he would have a better paying job (yeah..!)  Other wise you would have to pay the price of the course which was $4,000.  He got his license, and started working.  One day they filled his trailer up with beer.  His religion doesn't believe in drinking, so he refused to take the load.  So he quit.  Ding, Ding... $4,000 please so I don't get my ass sued off...
Send him a note suggesting he read Romans 13:8.

Help of the day from the Banter's licensed minister.
Thanks.  I think my real problem is, I put too much expectations on what I think a minister should be, and then I'm let down when I realize they are human just like everyone else.  It reminds me of when I was in the Army.  At a totally nude strip club, sitting at the dancer stage was no other than the Baptist Chaplin.  Again, what bothered me was I knew he was a pretty strict minister, and had also reported me to the 1st Sargent for not properly returning a salute. Drunk, smoking a cigar, and trying to cop a feels from the girls while tipping them.  I said, "Hey, your the Chaplin, are you sure your in the right place.."  His response was, "Everyone has to let their hair down some times...!"  Ya know, 40 years later and that thought still bothers me. But I don't know why, I was there too, and I didn't even like the guy...
The eternal quandary. Not perfect, but forgiven...however, ministers of the gospel do answer for a higher standard - both to God and man. If you're going to wear the title, you're going to answer for it.
Talk about pressure. I'm stressed enough about answering to "daddy".
Tony, you may not realize it, but that is a really amazing answer because there is a real parallel with being a minister/priest to a church.  You are a shepherd to your little flock - you have to lead, guide them with your words and good example.  You need to lead them to safe pastures and still waters for their safety, but also to feed & refresh them. As head of the family, you are the spiritual leader of the "domestic church", teaching the kids at home, praying with them and taking them to Church on Sunday and seeing to their further religious education ... which in the end is all about helping them in their relationship with God and others, helping them get to heaven.
Logged

SLY

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
« Reply #166 on: April 25, 2016, 11:54:51 PM »

[...]

I think you're a good dad ... seeing to your kids' physical, emotional & spiritual development. All of that is best done, ideally by a father and a mother.
Logged

Johnny

« Reply #167 on: April 26, 2016, 12:06:36 AM »

Let's go Tony, flip this thing.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]