CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: 3/28/2016  (Read 14923 times)

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
Re: 3/28/2016
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 06:58:06 AM »

Morning, all. Hope everyone had a great holiday. Replaced the brakes on one of my cars on Saturday, and I'm still paying for it today. Legs are killing me from all the squatting, crouching, etc, involved. Sheesh!
Yea, TWSS.....
I tried my best to avoid this exact post, but what can you do? Morning, Dave. Where are you this week?

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 06:59:34 AM »

Today’s Highlight in History:

On March 28, 1941, novelist and critic Virginia Woolf, 59, drowned herself near her home in Lewes, East Sussex, England.

On this date:

In 1834, the U.S. Senate voted to censure President Andrew Jackson for the removal of federal deposits from the Bank of the United States.

In 1854, during the Crimean War, Britain and France declared war on Russia.

In 1896, the opera “Andrea Chenier,” by Umberto Giordano, premiered in Milan, Italy.

In 1898, the Supreme Court, in United States v. Wong Kim Ark, ruled that a child born in the United States to Chinese immigrants was a U.S. citizen.

In 1930, the names of the Turkish cities of Constantinople and Angora were changed to Istanbul and Ankara.

In 1935, the notorious Nazi propaganda film “Triumph des Willens” (Triumph of the Will), directed by Leni Riefenstahl, premiered in Berlin with Adolf Hitler present.

In 1955, John Marshall Harlan II was sworn in as an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.

In 1965, an earthquake of magnitude 7.4 struck La Ligua, Chile, leaving about 400 people dead or missing, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

In 1969, the 34th president of the United States, Dwight D. Eisenhower, died in Washington, D.C. at age 78.

In 1979, America’s worst commercial nuclear accident occurred with a partial meltdown inside the Unit 2 reactor at the Three Mile Island plant near Middletown, Pennsylvania.

In 1987, Maria von Trapp, whose life story inspired the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical “The Sound of Music,” died in Morrisville, Vermont, at age 82.

In 1990, President George H.W. Bush presented the Congressional Gold Medal to the widow of U.S. Olympic legend Jesse Owens.

Ten years ago: President George W. Bush replaced longtime chief of staff Andy Card with budget director Joshua Bolten. More than a million people poured into streets across France while strikers disrupted air, rail and bus travel in the largest nationwide protest over a youth labor law. The Kadima (kuh-DEE’-muh) Party won Israel’s parliamentary elections. Former Defense Secretary Caspar W. Weinberger died in Bangor, Maine, at age 88.

Five years ago: Vigorously defending American attacks in Libya, President Barack Obama declared in a nationally broadcast address that the United States intervened to prevent a slaughter of civilians; yet he ruled out targeting Moammar Gadhafi, warning that trying to oust him militarily would be a mistake as costly as the war in Iraq.

One year ago: Afghanistan’s highest court ruled that the police officer convicted of murdering Associated Press photographer Anja Niedringhaus (AHN’-yuh NEE’-dring-hows) and wounding AP correspondent Kathy Gannon should serve 20 years in prison. Two Russians and an American floated into the International Space Station, eight hours after launching from Russia’s space facility in Kazakhstan; Mikhail Kornienko and Scott Kelly spent 342 days aboard the orbiting laboratory, while Russia’s Gennady Padalka stayed for six months.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 07:00:12 AM »

Today’s Birthdays: Former White House national security adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski (ZBIG’-nyef breh-ZHIN’-skee) is 88. Author Mario Vargas Llosa is 80. Country musician Charlie McCoy is 75. Movie director Mike Newell is 74. Actress Conchata Ferrell is 73. Actress Dianne Wiest (weest) is 70. Country singer Reba McEntire is 61. Olympic gold medal gymnast Bart Conner is 58. Rapper Salt (Salt-N-Pepa) is 50. Actress Tracey Needham is 49. Actor Max Perlich is 48. Movie director Brett Ratner is 47. Country singer Rodney Atkins is 47. Actor Vince Vaughn is 46. Rapper Mr. Cheeks (Lost Boyz) is 45. Actor Ken L. is 43. Singer/songwriter Matt Nathanson is 43. Rock musician Dave Keuning is 40. Actress Annie Wersching is 39. Actress Julia Stiles is 35. Singer Lady Gaga is 30.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 07:04:27 AM »

Lead Story

Nuclear accident at Three Mile Island

At 4 a.m. on March 28, 1979, the worst accident in the history of the U.S. nuclear power industry begins when a pressure valve in the Unit-2 reactor at Three Mile Island fails to close. Cooling water, contaminated with radiation, drained from the open valve into adjoining buildings, and the core began to dangerously overheat.

The Three Mile Island nuclear power plant was built in 1974 on a sandbar on Pennsylvania’s Susquehanna River, just 10 miles downstream from the state capitol in Harrisburg. In 1978, a second state-of-the-art reactor began operating on Three Mile Island, which was lauded for generating affordable and reliable energy in a time of energy crises.

After the cooling water began to drain out of the broken pressure valve on the morning of March 28, 1979, emergency cooling pumps automatically went into operation. Left alone, these safety devices would have prevented the development of a larger crisis. However, human operators in the control room misread confusing and contradictory readings and shut off the emergency water system. The reactor was also shut down, but residual heat from the fission process was still being released. By early morning, the core had heated to over 4,000 degrees, just 1,000 degrees short of meltdown. In the meltdown scenario, the core melts, and deadly radiation drifts across the countryside, fatally sickening a potentially great number of people.

As the plant operators struggled to understand what had happened, the contaminated water was releasing radioactive gases throughout the plant. The radiation levels, though not immediately life-threatening, were dangerous, and the core cooked further as the contaminated water was contained and precautions were taken to protect the operators. Shortly after 8 a.m., word of the accident leaked to the outside world. The plant’s parent company, Metropolitan Edison, downplayed the crisis and claimed that no radiation had been detected off plant grounds, but the same day inspectors detected slightly increased levels of radiation nearby as a result of the contaminated water leak. Pennsylvania Governor Dick Thornburgh considered calling an evacuation.

Finally, at about 8 p.m., plant operators realized they needed to get water moving through the core again and restarted the pumps. The temperature began to drop, and pressure in the reactor was reduced. The reactor had come within less than an hour of a complete meltdown. More than half the core was destroyed or molten, but it had not broken its protective shell, and no radiation was escaping. The crisis was apparently over.

Two days later, however, on March 30, a bubble of highly flammable hydrogen gas was discovered within the reactor building. The bubble of gas was created two days before when exposed core materials reacted with super-heated steam. On March 28, some of this gas had exploded, releasing a small amount of radiation into the atmosphere. At that time, plant operators had not registered the explosion, which sounded like a ventilation door closing. After the radiation leak was discovered on March 30, residents were advised to stay indoors. Experts were uncertain if the hydrogen bubble would create further meltdown or possibly a giant explosion, and as a precaution Governor Thornburgh advised “pregnant women and pre-school age children to leave the area within a five-mile radius of the Three Mile Island facility until further notice.” This led to the panic the governor had hoped to avoid; within days, more than 100,000 people had fled surrounding towns.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2016, 07:10:37 AM »

ALSO ON THIS DAY

American Revolution
British Parliament adopts the Coercive Acts
Upset by the Boston Tea Party and other blatant acts of destruction of British property by American colonists, the British Parliament enacts the Coercive Acts, to the outrage of American Patriots, on this day in 1774. The Coercive Acts were a series of four acts established by the British government. The...

Automotive
Land cleared for Ford’s Willow Run plant
On this day in 1941, workers start clearing trees from hundreds of acres of land near Ypsilanti, Michigan, some 30 miles west of Detroit, in preparation for the construction of the Ford Motor Company’s Willow Run plant, which will use Henry Ford’s mass-production technology to build B-24 bomber planes for...

Civil War
Battle of Glorieta Pass
On this day in 1862, Union forces stop the Confederate invasion of New Mexico Territory when they turn the Rebels back at Glorieta Pass.This action was part of the broader movement by the Confederates to capture New Mexico and other parts of the West. This would secure territory that the...

Cold War
Acheson-Lilienthal Report released
The State Department releases the so-called Acheson-Lilienthal Report, which outlines a plan for international control of atomic energy. The report represented an attempt by the United States to maintain its superiority in the field of atomic weapons while also trying to avoid a costly and dangerous arms race with the...

Crime
Funeral held for the man behind the guillotine
The funeral of Guillotin, the inventor and namesake of the infamous execution device, takes place outside of Paris, France. Guillotin had what he felt were the purest motives for inventing the guillotine and was deeply distressed at how his reputation had become besmirched in the aftermath. Guillotin had bestowed the...

Duke lacrosse team suspended following sexual assault allegations
Duke University officials suspend the men’s lacrosse team for two games following allegations that team members sexually assaulted a stripper hired to perform at a party. Three players were later charged with rape. The case became a national scandal, impacted by issues of race, politics and class. In April 2007,...

Disaster
Reactor overheats at Three Mile Island
The most serious nuclear accident in United States history takes place at the Three Mile Island plant near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, on this day in 1979, when one of the reactors overheats. Fortunately, a catastrophic meltdown was averted and there were no deaths or direct injuries from the accident. The Three...

General Interest
Spanish Civil War ends
In Spain, the Republican defenders of Madrid raise the white flag over the city, bringing to an end the bloody three-year Spanish Civil War. In 1931, Spanish King Alfonso XIII approved elections to decide the government of Spain, and voters overwhelmingly chose to abolish the monarchy in favor of a liberal...

Eisenhower dies
Dwight D. Eisenhower, the 34th president of the United States and one of the most highly regarded American generals of World War II, dies in Washington, D.C., at the age of 78.Born in Denison, Texas, in 1890, Eisenhower graduated from the United States Military Academy in 1915, and after World...

Hollywood
Fairbanks and Pickford marry
Hollywood stars Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford marry on this day in 1920, just three and a half weeks after Pickford’s divorce from her first husband, actor Owen Moore. Pickford and Fairbanks had been business partners since the previous year, when they teamed up with Charlie Chaplin and director D.W....

Literary
Mario Vargas Llosa, Peruvian novelist, is born
Peruvian novelist and unsuccessful presidential candidate Mario Vargas Llosa is born. Llosa, who built his fame as a writer on works ranging from novels to plays to critical essays, was educated in Bolivia, where he grandfather was Peruvian consul. He attended military school in Lima and began to publish short...

Music
W.C. Handy—the “Father of the Blues”—dies
“With all their differences, my forebears had one thing in common: if they had any musical talent, it remained buried.” So wrote William Christopher Handy in his autobiography in discussing the absence of music in his home life as a child. Born in northern Alabama in 1873, Handy was raised...

Old West
De Anza founds San Francisco
Juan Bautista de Anza, one of the great western pathfinders of the 18th century, arrives at the future site of San Francisco with 247 colonists. Though little known among Americans because of his Spanish origins, Anza’s accomplishments as a western trailblazer merit comparison with those of Lewis and Clark, John Fremont,...

Presidential
Congress censures Jackson
On this day in 1834, President Andrew Jackson is censured by Congress for refusing to turn over documents. Jackson was the first president to suffer this formal disapproval from Congress. During his first term, Jackson decided to dismantle the Bank of the United States and find a friendlier source of funds...

Sports
Baltimore Colts move to Indianapolis
On this day in 1984, Bob Irsay (1923-1997), owner of the once-mighty Baltimore Colts, moves the team to Indianapolis. Without any sort of public announcement, Irsay hired movers to pack up the team’s offices in Owings Mills, Maryland, in the middle of the night, while the city of Baltimore slept. Robert...

Vietnam War
Diem’s popular support questioned
A U.S. national intelligence estimate prepared for President John F. Kennedy declares that South Vietnamese President Ngo Dinh Diem and the Republic of Vietnam are facing an extremely critical situation. As evidence, the reports cites that more than half of the rural region surrounding Saigon is under communist control...

American pacifists arrive in Haiphong
The Phoenix, a private U.S. yacht with eight American pacifists aboard, arrives in Haiphong, North Vietnam, with $10,000 worth of medical supplies for the North Vietnamese. The trip, financed by a Quaker group in Philadelphia, was made in defiance of a U.S. ban on American travel to North Vietnam. ...

World War I
First American citizen killed during WWI
On March 28, 1915, the first American citizen is killed in the eight-month-old European conflict that would become known as the First World War. Leon Thrasher, a 31-year-old mining engineer and native of Massachusetts, drowned when a German submarine, the U-28, torpedoed the cargo-passenger ship Falaba, on its way from Liverpool...

World War II
Cunningham leads fateful British strike at Italians
On this day, Andrew Browne Cunningham, Admiral of the British Fleet, commands the British Royal Navy’s destruction of three major Italian cruisers and two destroyers in the Battle of Cape Matapan in the Mediterranean. The destruction, following on the attack on the Italian Fleet at Taranto by the British in...

South Carolina Redfish

• Coffee At Sunrise 🌄 and Cocktails At Sunset 🌅
  • Founding Member
  • “Retirement Is Wonderful”
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2016, 07:47:38 AM »

Morning Easter Bunny Dave, glad to have you back with us as Travellin Dave.

You headed to CA yet?

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2016, 07:52:38 AM »

Morning, all. Hope everyone had a great holiday. Replaced the brakes on one of my cars on Saturday, and I'm still paying for it today. Legs are killing me from all the squatting, crouching, etc, involved. Sheesh!
Yea, TWSS.....
I tried my best to avoid this exact post, but what can you do? Morning, Dave. Where are you this week?
Heading out to San Diego this evening after a great weekend with family.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2016, 07:54:26 AM »

Yea, TWSS.....
Glad you got to enjoy some good family time!

Threebean

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2016, 07:57:44 AM »

Morning Daves.  Interesting read on Three-mile Island, professor.  Those overheated cores are the devil!

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2016, 07:58:18 AM »

Not much entertainment in the news this morning.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2016, 07:58:38 AM »

Morning Daves.  Interesting read on Three-mile Island, professor.  Those overheated cores are the devil!
Morning Bean

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2016, 08:01:15 AM »

Yea, TWSS.....
Might as well get yourself a condo out there or something, at this rate.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2016, 08:02:33 AM »

RETIRE:   296 Days!

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2016, 08:06:16 AM »

Yea, TWSS.....
Trying to avoid that.

Threebean

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2016, 08:08:46 AM »

Yea, TWSS.....
White Whale Inn West.  Just think how much fun you and Wacky will have stocking the west coast humi and beer cooler together.  Watch out for those CA community property laws, though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11