Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2022, 12:29:49 PM »

Over/Under for today is 7
Raz Over/Under is 8
I got 12 today. And the coinkydink was not so obvious to me but still a good one.
Since we started this ritual of comparing scores on celebrity birthdays, I've been trying to understand what defines the patterns in the ones I recognized.

That I get my own over/under is attributable to the fact that I've always, for whatever reason, retained a lot of trivia. I don't know why. Probably attributable to the fact that we moved a lot when I was a kid, so I was frequently an outsider and spent a lot of time alone reading. And I spent a lot of time reading the World Book Encyclopedia. I also draw a lot of the lyrics I write from news articles, so that cements a lot of things in my head.

There's also an age and time period cutoff in there somewhere. Clearly LTG is more familiar with younger celebrities, and I'm strongest in the 80s and 90s, when I was a teenager and young adult. Part of that has to do with when I started raising kids, and the fact that when my kids got to a certain age I had less free time, and writing and playing music took priority over movies and TV.

Then there are particular interests, like musicians, where I do well. Particular TV shows, like NCIS. One of my longest-time best friends and musical collaborators is a film editor and cinema freak, so we've spent a lot of time analyzing films. For years we competed at predicting Academy Award winners.

But there are still a lot of pretty obvious names and intersections I miss, and others  that I know but can't explain why. I have no idea why Anna Quindlan's name and face stick in my head. I was a journalism minor in college, so maybe I ran across her work then. No idea. Robert Knepper sticks in my head, but I was just guessing when I looked to see if he'd ever been on NCIS.

For whatever reason, metainformation has always been an interest of mine, since long before the term was widely known. It has something to do with music, I think. It was a problem for me academically, particularly in math, when I was a kid. I always thought I was bad at math, until an algebra teacher in high school showed me how quadratic equations could be used to approximate fuel/air curves for hod rods or ballistics. Suddenly math made sense, but it was because I had to understand "why" math worked, and not just how. I had the same problem with piano lessons. I needed to be taught music theory first, and most of my piano teachers didn't really understand theory. They just read music from paper.

Patterns. Everything has patterns, and I always have to know the patterns.

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2022, 01:53:35 PM »

The main reason you get a higher over/under is primarily due to music/musician knowledge and politics.  The crapshoot is with lesser known actors.  You usually go over when you get a number of them.

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2022, 01:54:49 PM »

Friday afternoon!  That makes it the weekend!

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2022, 01:57:36 PM »

Today’s Birthdays:

Singer Steve Lawrence is 87.
Actor Jeffrey Tambor is 78.
Rock musician Jaimoe Johanson is 77.
Ballerina Cynthia Gregory is 75.
Actor Kim Darby is 75.
Actor Jonelle Allen is 74.
performer Raffi is 74.
Celebrity chef Wolfgang Puck is 73.
Actor Anjelica Huston is 71.
Writer Anna Quindlen is 70.
Actor Kevin Bacon is 64.
Actor Robert Knepper is 63.
Country singer Toby Keith is 61.
Rock singer Joan Osborne is 60.
Writer-producer Rob Burnett is 60.
Actor Rocky Carroll is 59.
Actor Corey Parker is 57.
Actor Lee Tergesen is 57.
Actor Michael B. Silver is 55.
Actor Billy Crudup is 54.
Actor Michael Weatherly is 54.
Singer Beck is 52.
Comedian Sebastian Maniscalco is 49.
Actor Kathleen Robertson is 49.
Christian rock musician Stephen Mason (Jars of Clay) is 47.
Actor Milo Ventimiglia (MEE’-loh vehn-tih-MEEL’-yuh) is 45.
Singer Ben Jelen (YEL’-in) is 43.
Actor Lance Gross is 41.
Actor Sophia Bush is 40.
Rock musician Jamie Cook (Arctic Monkeys) is 37.
Actor Jake McDorman is 36.
Actor Maya Hawke is 24.
Actor Jaden Smith is 24.
Just to show off my range... LALTS
Indeed, I am truly impressed!

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2022, 02:01:31 PM »

The main reason you get a higher over/under is primarily due to music/musician knowledge and politics.  The crapshoot is with lesser known actors.  You usually go over when you get a number of them.
And as you say, age plays into it.  I usually figure younger Dave will get some that the older folks wont, and the others get a few that he won't, so they are usually a draw.

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2022, 03:18:06 PM »

[...]

You have a beautiful mind.

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2022, 06:37:15 PM »

Good time at the tournament today. My strange happenstance for the day went like this - John Senden was left of the fairway, in the rough under a tree. He hit a low hooking screamer that took one hop before the green, one hop on and then over. We were standing behind the green, next to 2 guys sitting in chairs. The ball went right between the two guys, hit one of their chairs, popped up and landed between his back and the chair. Can't imagine you'd ever see something like that again. Everyone in the area took a picture. Lol

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2022, 07:01:09 PM »

And now I'm at the express clinic because my FIL had taken the kids to one of these places with bumper boats, batting cages, arcade games, etc, and my oldest somehow took a ball to the thumb in the batting cage. She's never been very coordinated or sporty, not sure why either of them thought her going into a 55 mph cage was a good idea. Checking to see if it's broken.

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2022, 07:09:31 PM »

Good time at the tournament today. My strange happenstance for the day went like this - John Senden was left of the fairway, in the rough under a tree. He hit a low hooking screamer that took one hop before the green, one hop on and then over. We were standing behind the green, next to 2 guys sitting in chairs. The ball went right between the two guys, hit one of their chairs, popped up and landed between his back and the chair. Can't imagine you'd ever see something like that again. Everyone in the area took a picture. Lol
LOL!

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2022, 07:10:13 PM »

And now I'm at the express clinic because my FIL had taken the kids to one of these places with bumper boats, batting cages, arcade games, etc, and my oldest somehow took a ball to the thumb in the batting cage. She's never been very coordinated or sporty, not sure why either of them thought her going into a 55 mph cage was a good idea. Checking to see if it's broken.
Oof. Hope it's no big deal. I'm sure the pain is real.

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2022, 07:21:56 PM »

And now I'm at the express clinic because my FIL had taken the kids to one of these places with bumper boats, batting cages, arcade games, etc, and my oldest somehow took a ball to the thumb in the batting cage. She's never been very coordinated or sporty, not sure why either of them thought her going into a 55 mph cage was a good idea. Checking to see if it's broken.
Oof. Hope it's no big deal. I'm sure the pain is real.
Survey says - broken. Amazingly, first time any of our kids have broken anything.

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2022, 08:04:37 PM »

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2022, 08:10:41 PM »

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2022, 08:15:46 PM »

Evening.

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2022, 09:12:32 PM »

Speaking of connies...

Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4