Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

  • Administrator
6/28/2022
« on: June 28, 2022, 12:00:15 AM »

Happy Tuesday! In between insults we'll occasionally discuss cigars.  Join in and perhaps learn something along the way. Warning: don't proceed if you have thin skin but don't be afraid to post either... And welcome aboard!

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 01:27:12 AM »

Permit me to do a little political analysis. I promise I will NOT go into ethics or morality.

The SCOTUS decision striking down Roe v Wade, in the long run, is actually a win for abortion rights supporters. I read the decision, and it all but telegraphs this: "Pass federal legislation. If that legislation is challenged here, we will reiterate that the Supreme Court is staying out of it unless it expressly contradicts the constitution."

There is nothing in the constitution that legislation to legalize abortion at the Federal level is going to contradict. The closest you could get would be the Fifth Amendment, and certainly someone will try to challenge legalized abortion on that grounds. But it won't work, for a very simple reason - regardless of when life begins, citizenship - and constitutional rights - begin at birth, and end at death. And there is no Supreme Court that is going to elevate the rights of a fetus over the rights of a pregnant woman. I know that Pro-Choice activists are screaming this is what just happened, but it isn't. Read the decision. This case simply says the Supreme Court is not going to extrapolate rights that aren't defined in the constitution. If you want to put rights into the constitution, you have to do it by the amendment process.

This isn't even a state-rights issue. If pro-abortion forces get legislation through Congress - and mark my words they will - the very logic in this decision that struck down Roe will have to be applied to say the legislation is constitutional. There is nothing in the constitution that says there is a right to an abortion, and by the same token there is nothing in the constitution that can be construed to proscribe abortion. So, pass Federal legislation and get a president to sign it, and the discussion, from a legal standpoint, is effectively over, under the 10th Amendment and the 14th Amendment. And then, if you really want to establish that abortion is a civil right, amend the constitution.

Roe tried to make a 14th Amendment case to invalidate state laws. It was a weak argument, and I've talked to any number of pro-choice lawyers (we have a bunch of them at WADOH) and even they say it was weak. But an activist court endorsed it.

No matter how one feels about the Roberts court, when you get down to the details, this court handed abortion-rights supporters a huge win. The court has advertised that they will not oppose Federal abortion legislation.

This is just political and legal analysis. I'm not taking any ethical stance here. That would be a discussion for another time, and probably not here. All I'm saying is this decision is not the win that anti-abortion forces wished for, and it is not the disaster that pro-abortion forces say it is. Quite the opposite.

There is now a freshly-paved highway and the political will to establish legalized abortion at the Federal level, and the Religious Right will have zero recourse to stop it. Some states will try to make a 10th Amendment case against it, but it will fail. The Supreme Court has taken itself out of that war.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 03:59:02 AM »

Heh. That third guess was just a stab in the dark. Night, lads.

Wordle 374 3/6

🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 05:31:19 AM »

Morning, all. Happy twofer.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 05:31:47 AM »

Joe:

Diesel Shorty - 10/36.50

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 05:32:46 AM »

Sis:

Door #1 - Man O' War Virtue Torpedo - 10/37.99

Door #2 - Gurkha Yakuza Toro - 10/39.99

Door #3 - Padilla Dominus Double Robusto - 10/39.99

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 05:33:28 AM »

Boy, that Joe deal really takes me back. I believe that was the first deal I ever purchased at CF.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 06:03:57 AM »

Pretty easy heardle today.

#Heardle #123

🟩

https://www.heardle.app

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 06:05:07 AM »

Not so much on the filmle. Though, I'm still at 100%.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2022, 06:07:20 AM »

Phew.

Wordle 374 6/6*

🟨
🟨🟨
🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2022, 06:15:39 AM »

Good morning, banter friends.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2022, 06:17:06 AM »

Not so much on the filmle. Though, I'm still at 100%.

Who isn't?

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2022, 06:23:04 AM »

A brisk 54 out right now. Too chilly to open the windows down here yet.

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2022, 06:42:48 AM »

Pretty easy heardle today.

#Heardle #123

🟩

https://www.heardle.app
#Heardle #123

🟩

Indeed.

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2022, 06:43:51 AM »

A brisk 54 out right now. Too chilly to open the windows down here yet.
Currently 65° and beautiful. Commute day for me.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6