CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: 5/23/2022  (Read 2159 times)

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
Re: 5/23/2022
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2022, 10:01:08 AM »

Speaking of music, did not get the Heardle today.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2022, 10:02:33 AM »

Today's Over/Under is 5
Raz Over/Under is 8
Raz territory - 8.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2022, 10:03:57 AM »

I did on the 2nd. That's actually a great song.

#Heardle #87

🟥🟩

https://www.heardle.app

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2022, 10:05:46 AM »

Now that I'm all caught up I should probably get back to work.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2022, 10:06:00 AM »

I did on the 2nd. That's actually a great song.

#Heardle #87

🟥🟩

https://www.heardle.app
GFY! (Good For You!)

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2022, 10:27:31 AM »

Didn't get to listen to it over the weekend since I couldn't access One Drive on my phone, but I could today, and I dig it. Though, the last verse could clearly be bettered by including a reference to emails or Epstein. ;)
I was tryin' man...and pizza parlors.  And I tried hard to get QAnon in there by name and even Big Orange himself.  But i have to make the lyrics flow and fit the melody, and if I get too specific the song becomes a Novelty Tune - something for Weird Al Yankovic, rather than wry commentary.

I AM going get a cigar reference in somewhere, as a specific nod to y'all for listening and offering thoughts.  Maybe on the rideout I'll sample Pink Floyd's "Have a Cigar." Or I'll drop a little rap in or something.   We'll see.
Although nothing wrong with Weird Al!  Maybe just save it for another song.  Can't get everything into one.

Out under the stars, bourbon poured, cigar in hand,
Waves break in the distance, feet in the sand...
That's not bad, amigo.  We may have to write that.  I'm thinking something along the lines of Zep's "Going to California."

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2022, 10:28:10 AM »

Joe's Jambalaya:

Man O' War Virtue Torpedo (6.5"x52) - 10 / $37.50
Diesel d.10th d.5552 - 10/39.99
Ave Maria St. George - 5/19.99
5 Vegas Series 'A' Archetype - 10/24.99
ACID Seven Wonders Sampler - 7/44.99

The ACID Seven Wonders Sampler Includes:
    1 - ACID Kuba Kuba (5"x 54)
    1 - ACID Kuba Kuba Maduro (5" x 54)
    1 - ACID Blondie Belicoso (5" x 54)
    1 -  ACID Deep Dish (5" x 58)
    1 - ACID One (5" x 54)
    1 - ACID Atom Maduro (5" x 50)
    1 - ACID Liquid (5" x 50)
Alec Bradley Magic Toast Robusto - 5/24.99
Punch Rare Corojo Magnum - 5/22.50
Perdomo Reserve 10th Anniv. Champagne Epicure - 5/32.50
Rocky Patel Decade Cigars Robusto - 5/27.50

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2022, 10:30:13 AM »

Today's Over/Under is 5
Raz Over/Under is 8
Dead on.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2022, 11:01:30 AM »

Joe's Jambalaya:

Man O' War Virtue Torpedo (6.5"x52) - 10 / $37.50
Diesel d.10th d.5552 - 10/39.99
Ave Maria St. George - 5/19.99
5 Vegas Series 'A' Archetype - 10/24.99
ACID Seven Wonders Sampler - 7/44.99

The ACID Seven Wonders Sampler Includes:
    1 - ACID Kuba Kuba (5"x 54)
    1 - ACID Kuba Kuba Maduro (5" x 54)
    1 - ACID Blondie Belicoso (5" x 54)
    1 -  ACID Deep Dish (5" x 58)
    1 - ACID One (5" x 54)
    1 - ACID Atom Maduro (5" x 50)
    1 - ACID Liquid (5" x 50)
Alec Bradley Magic Toast Robusto - 5/24.99
Punch Rare Corojo Magnum - 5/22.50
Perdomo Reserve 10th Anniv. Champagne Epicure - 5/32.50
Rocky Patel Decade Cigars Robusto - 5/27.50
Romeo Y Julieta 1875 Ct Nicaragua Toro - 10/49.99

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2022, 11:19:05 AM »

Didn't get to listen to it over the weekend since I couldn't access One Drive on my phone, but I could today, and I dig it. Though, the last verse could clearly be bettered by including a reference to emails or Epstein. ;)
I was tryin' man...and pizza parlors.  And I tried hard to get QAnon in there by name and even Big Orange himself.  But i have to make the lyrics flow and fit the melody, and if I get too specific the song becomes a Novelty Tune - something for Weird Al Yankovic, rather than wry commentary.

I AM going get a cigar reference in somewhere, as a specific nod to y'all for listening and offering thoughts.  Maybe on the rideout I'll sample Pink Floyd's "Have a Cigar." Or I'll drop a little rap in or something.   We'll see.

It still amazes me, after all these years of writing songs, how I never really know what a song's going to be until the lyrics are done and have been twisted around and reworked until everything fits together.  Usually I prefer not to write a song "about" anything.  I just try to string phrases together that paint images with some onomatopoeia, and let the listener imagine what it's about. Like this, from my song "Parallax."

"So many messages coming in from all sides.  It's become so hard to keep mind and heart together in the hurricane's eye.  One foot hard on the pavement, one tight-locked in the grave. Is there any hope to be found for the soul of one so hopelessly chained...to this madness?"

It has the suggestion of flow, but what is it about?  Whatever you think it's about.  Paranoia.  Abuse.  Survival.  Celebrity.  Marriage.  Whatever.

But when the song is called "Pirate Radio" the writer really only has three choices - make the title an obscurity that never appears in the song (like Stone Temple Pilots "Plush"), make it a historical recollection (ZZ Top - "I Heard it on the X"), or make it refer to something else.  And the title "Pirate Radio" doesn't lend itself well to ethereal, obscure imagery. Nor did the music in the jam.

So, I took the latter route, to use it as a metaphor for the Internet.

But when all was said and done, the song was about people. The Internet, the media, the Coroner, the body - it's all about the madding crowd - the relentless mob - and how people crave significance, and how it's all on blatant display, 24x7.

If anyone cares...  ;-)
Makes perfect sense.
In reading the discussion, for whatever reason "Welcome to the Fishbowl" by Kenny Chesney popped into my head...then Pink Floyd "Wish you were here"

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2022, 11:20:22 AM »

Although nothing wrong with Weird Al!  Maybe just save it for another song.  Can't get everything into one.

Out under the stars, bourbon poured, cigar in hand,
Waves break in the distance, feet in the sand...
That's not bad, amigo.  We may have to write that.  I'm thinking something along the lines of Zep's "Going to California."
Sounds like a good direction to go.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2022, 11:25:16 AM »

Padilla Cazadores Robusto
(5.0"x50)Pack of 15
| MSRP: $5.50 per cigar

In Stock
BUY 15+ CIGARS
$2.00
per cigar
$29.99 total price
SAVE 64%

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2022, 11:45:20 AM »

Listened to all the pieces and still don't have a clue.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2022, 11:46:34 AM »

It still amazes me, after all these years of writing songs, how I never really know what a song's going to be until the lyrics are done and have been twisted around and reworked until everything fits together.  Usually I prefer not to write a song "about" anything.  I just try to string phrases together that paint images with some onomatopoeia, and let the listener imagine what it's about. Like this, from my song "Parallax."

"So many messages coming in from all sides.  It's become so hard to keep mind and heart together in the hurricane's eye.  One foot hard on the pavement, one tight-locked in the grave. Is there any hope to be found for the soul of one so hopelessly chained...to this madness?"

It has the suggestion of flow, but what is it about?  Whatever you think it's about.  Paranoia.  Abuse.  Survival.  Celebrity.  Marriage.  Whatever.

But when the song is called "Pirate Radio" the writer really only has three choices - make the title an obscurity that never appears in the song (like Stone Temple Pilots "Plush"), make it a historical recollection (ZZ Top - "I Heard it on the X"), or make it refer to something else.  And the title "Pirate Radio" doesn't lend itself well to ethereal, obscure imagery. Nor did the music in the jam.

So, I took the latter route, to use it as a metaphor for the Internet.

But when all was said and done, the song was about people. The Internet, the media, the Coroner, the body - it's all about the madding crowd - the relentless mob - and how people crave significance, and how it's all on blatant display, 24x7.

If anyone cares...  ;-)
So kinda America or REM.  Don't have a clue WTF they are talking about, but I like the music.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2022, 11:56:06 AM »

Listened to all the pieces and still don't have a clue.
If you hit skip again after all the clues, it gives you the answer. Which I definitely needed and thought, nope, wasn't gonna get that one.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7