CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 5/21/2022  (Read 1006 times)

CigarBanter

• Administrator
  • Senior Status
5/21/2022
« on: May 21, 2022, 01:08:11 AM »

What's up cigar enthusiasts?!  Any cigar deals on the various internet sites that are worth talking about? Join in this discussion and perhaps learn something along the way.  Warning: don't proceed if you have thin skin but don't be afraid to post either...  And welcome aboard!

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
Re: 5/21/2022
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 06:02:50 AM »

Just a little pee break. Nice to be able to go right back to sleep.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 07:05:04 AM »

Okay, some of y'all have suggested that at some point I should put some of the music I do up here.  I haven't done it yet.  I know, we don't judge here...except when we do.

But...I'm in the process of putting two albums together, and I'm just intoxicated enough and sleep-deprived enough to let y'all watch the process. And I'm gonna go one step further and ask you to help.

Putting a song together is really difficult. Imagine playing Wordle, but there's no five-letter limit, and phrases have to rhyme.  But here's how it's done:  You find something to write about, and some music to go with it, and then you have to present it to the musicians you work with and let them help you finish it.

To do that, we use "The Demo." You sit at home and compose a song, then you record it - all by yourself, and present it to the band.  If they like it, it gets taken apart and reworked and redone, and then you "lay it down." The band records it, track by track.

I've been working all afternoon and evening and into these wee hours on a demo.

This one starts in 1993, when I was with Raintown.  One night at a rehearsal, we started jamming and came up with a structure for a song.  I was the "songwriter" of the band, so I arbitrarily dubbed it "Pirate Radio."  The intent was that I would go write the lyrics and melody and bring it back to the band.  It never happened.  We had a dozen songs we were working on, and "Pirate Radio" was just one of them. And as it turned out, we broke up in 1994 and orphaned all the ideas we were working on.

28 years passed, and "Pirate Radio" was completely forgotten.  There were other bands, other songs, other demos, other recordings.  Until this morning.  This morning my old collaborator in Raintown and I were exchanging old memories, and somehow we came across "Pirate Radio." 

Long story short, he had a recording of the rehearsal where we jammed the song. I listened to it, and thought, "Man, that was a cool idea.  We should have worked on that one."

So...I pulled the old jam recording into Garage Band.  Then  I pillaged my news feed for a lyrical idea, and found one.  I wrote  a verse and a chorus, and laid it down as a demo.  Over the course of the last 8 hours I came up with a second verse, and added more to the demo. Just rough ideas. The intent here is that Bill and I will agree on various ideas, then we'll start to put down the song for real.

But it starts with a demo.  And because Tony has asked in the past to hear what I do, I'm going to share how a song gets built.  Here's the demo, what I send to Bill so he can refine his guitar parts and accept or reject my lyrical ideas, and then we build from that into a song and a recording.

As it is, Bill really likes this idea of mine. So the process has begun.  The end result will be a recording of the song, and I'll share it here when it's done. 

But here's what I sent him.  The instruments come from a rehearsal recording of us jamming in 1993.  The lyrics and melody were written today - er, yesterday - and I laid them down over the past 8 hours while I've been making cinnamon rolls.

In a demo, the lyrics can be hard to hear, so I'll provide the lyrics.  Give it a listen, read the lyrics, and tell me what you think.
Oh, the vocals stop after the second chorus, and what's left is the jam from 1993...until it collapses.  We'll fix that later.  ;-)

Here's the link to the demo:  https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ap1itbYdlfU1gdtP_HkGXJDqFDAMhQ?e=kqBjGR

Here are the lyrics, so far:

Pirate Radio

They found a body in a barrel in the reservoir
a little southeast of town
It had a hole in the head where it shouldn't been
Somebody put the boy down
The water level's down cause the rain won't fall
And they're holding up the river's flow
Now the lake's telling stories like a charismatic preacher
on pirate radio

You can run but you'll only die tired
Hide till we run you down
Dance like your feet are on fire
You're wired up tight for sound
Dirty little secrets won't keep
No matter how hard you try
Silent waters run deep
But you're living on camera
Livin in the camera eye

Got a hand in your pocket
Got a number on the door
Everybody's tuning in to
Pirate radio

So they trotted out the coroner to tell a tale
The coroner pronounced him dead
It might have been the water or it might have been the barrel
Or the hole in the side of his head
Maybe he's a wise guy
Or maybe he's a biker
There's really no way to know
But the newsfeed's running on Instagram and Twitter
And the pirate radio

Silent waters run deep
Livin in the camera eye

Got a number on the door
Everybody's tuning in to
Pirate radio

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 08:08:09 AM »

Okay, some of y'all have suggested that at some point I should put some of the music I do up here.  I haven't done it yet.  I know, we don't judge here...except when we do....

This is gonna be all sorts of fun. Thanks for sharing, Raz. I'll definitely provide feedback at risk of losing another member of CigarBanter.

Stay tuned...

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 08:11:10 AM »

But first, our regularly scheduled programming.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 08:11:44 AM »

JoeCigar:

Alec Bradley Prensado Gran Toro (6.0"x54) - 5 / $29.99

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2022, 08:15:14 AM »

Cigar.com:

Door #1 - E.P. Carrillo Dark Rituals Torpedo (6.0"x52) - Box of 10 / $44.99

Door #2 - MONTE by Montecristo Toro (6.0"x52) - 10 / $49.99

Door #3 - Romeo y Julieta 1875 Bully (Robusto) (5.0"x50) - 10 / $44.99

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2022, 08:38:03 AM »

Okay, some of y'all have suggested that at some point I should put some of the music I do up here.  I haven't done it yet.  I know, we don't judge here...except when we do....

This is gonna be all sorts of fun. Thanks for sharing, Raz. I'll definitely provide feedback at risk of losing another member of CigarBanter.

Stay tuned...
You're gonna regret this, Bret.

Initial impression:

Only listened to it once through and didn't pay close attention to the lyrics. I love a song with a funky bass line. (It reminded me a little of the music from Match Game -not meant as an insult). The whole rhythm is stuck in my head but I'd love to hear more funky bass, especially in the intro.

I'm going back in for more...

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2022, 09:06:11 AM »

Morning, all. This morning would've been perfect for golf, but I have my nephew's birthday party at a laser tag place. Look forward to sampling Raz's tunes later.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2022, 09:08:10 AM »

Stay tuned...
You're gonna regret this, Bret.

Initial impression:

Only listened to it once through and didn't pay close attention to the lyrics. I love a song with a funky bass line. (It reminded me a little of the music from Match Game -not meant as an insult). The whole rhythm is stuck in my head but I'd love to hear more funky bass, especially in the intro.

I'm going back in for more...
I went for a second listen just to confirm my comments in the previous post.

I like it. I would go see this band live.

I need to take a break from this right now because I have tons to do but will definitely revisit it later.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2022, 09:24:19 AM »

Okay, some of y'all have suggested that at some point I should put some of the music I do up here.  I haven't done it yet.  I know, we don't judge here...except when we do.

But...I'm in the process of putting two albums together, and I'm just intoxicated enough and sleep-deprived enough to let y'all watch the process. And I'm gonna go one step further and ask you to help.

Putting a song together is really difficult. Imagine playing Wordle, but there's no five-letter limit, and phrases have to rhyme.  But here's how it's done:  You find something to write about, and some music to go with it, and then you have to present it to the musicians you work with and let them help you finish it.

To do that, we use "The Demo." You sit at home and compose a song, then you record it - all by yourself, and present it to the band.  If they like it, it gets taken apart and reworked and redone, and then you "lay it down." The band records it, track by track.

I've been working all afternoon and evening and into these wee hours on a demo.

This one starts in 1993, when I was with Raintown.  One night at a rehearsal, we started jamming and came up with a structure for a song.  I was the "songwriter" of the band, so I arbitrarily dubbed it "Pirate Radio."  The intent was that I would go write the lyrics and melody and bring it back to the band.  It never happened.  We had a dozen songs we were working on, and "Pirate Radio" was just one of them. And as it turned out, we broke up in 1994 and orphaned all the ideas we were working on.

28 years passed, and "Pirate Radio" was completely forgotten.  There were other bands, other songs, other demos, other recordings.  Until this morning.  This morning my old collaborator in Raintown and I were exchanging old memories, and somehow we came across "Pirate Radio." 

Long story short, he had a recording of the rehearsal where we jammed the song. I listened to it, and thought, "Man, that was a cool idea.  We should have worked on that one."

So...I pulled the old jam recording into Garage Band.  Then  I pillaged my news feed for a lyrical idea, and found one.  I wrote  a verse and a chorus, and laid it down as a demo.  Over the course of the last 8 hours I came up with a second verse, and added more to the demo. Just rough ideas. The intent here is that Bill and I will agree on various ideas, then we'll start to put down the song for real.

But it starts with a demo.  And because Tony has asked in the past to hear what I do, I'm going to share how a song gets built.  Here's the demo, what I send to Bill so he can refine his guitar parts and accept or reject my lyrical ideas, and then we build from that into a song and a recording.

As it is, Bill really likes this idea of mine. So the process has begun.  The end result will be a recording of the song, and I'll share it here when it's done. 

But here's what I sent him.  The instruments come from a rehearsal recording of us jamming in 1993.  The lyrics and melody were written today - er, yesterday - and I laid them down over the past 8 hours while I've been making cinnamon rolls.

In a demo, the lyrics can be hard to hear, so I'll provide the lyrics.  Give it a listen, read the lyrics, and tell me what you think.
Oh, the vocals stop after the second chorus, and what's left is the jam from 1993...until it collapses.  We'll fix that later.  ;-)

Here's the link to the demo:  https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ap1itbYdlfU1gdtP_HkGXJDqFDAMhQ?e=kqBjGR

Here are the lyrics, so far:

Pirate Radio

They found a body in a barrel in the reservoir
a little southeast of town
It had a hole in the head where it shouldn't been
Somebody put the boy down
The water level's down cause the rain won't fall
And they're holding up the river's flow
Now the lake's telling stories like a charismatic preacher
on pirate radio

Silent waters run deep
Livin in the camera eye

Got a number on the door
Everybody's tuning in to
Pirate radio

So they trotted out the coroner to tell a tale
The coroner pronounced him dead
It might have been the water or it might have been the barrel
Or the hole in the side of his head
Maybe he's a wise guy
Or maybe he's a biker
There's really no way to know
But the newsfeed's running on Instagram and Twitter
And the pirate radio

Silent waters run deep
Livin in the camera eye

Got a number on the door
Everybody's tuning in to
Pirate radio
Yum, cinnamon rolls!

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2022, 09:26:18 AM »

Morning PeeBreakTony, MuseBreakRaz, and ParBreakDave.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2022, 09:30:35 AM »

Today is Saturday, May 21, the 141st day of 2022. There are 224 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:

On May 21, 1881, Clara Barton founded the American Red Cross.

On this date:

In 1471, King Henry VI of England died in the Tower of London at age 49.

In 1542, Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto died while searching for gold along the Mississippi River.

In 1924, in a case that drew much notoriety, 14-year-old Bobby Franks was murdered in a “thrill killing” carried out by University of Chicago students Nathan Leopold Jr. and Richard Loeb (Bobby’s cousin).

In 1927, Charles A. Lindbergh landed his Spirit of St. Louis monoplane near Paris, completing the first solo airplane flight across the Atlantic Ocean in 33 1/2 hours.

In 1932, Amelia Earhart became the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean as she landed in Northern Ireland, about 15 hours after leaving Newfoundland.

In 1941, a German U-boat sank the American merchant steamship SS Robin Moor in the South Atlantic after the ship’s passengers and crew were allowed to board lifeboats.

In 1955, Chuck Berry recorded his first single, “Maybellene,” for Chess Records in Chicago.

In 1972, Michelangelo’s Pieta, on display at the Vatican, was damaged by a hammer-wielding man who shouted he was Jesus Christ.

In 1979, former San Francisco City Supervisor Dan White was convicted of voluntary manslaughter in the slayings of Mayor George Moscone (mahs-KOH’-nee) and openly gay Supervisor Harvey Milk; outrage over the verdict sparked rioting. (White was sentenced to seven years and eight months in prison; he ended up serving five years and took his own life in 1985.)

In 1991, former Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi was assassinated during national elections by a suicide bomber.

In 2000, death claimed actor Sir John Gielgud at age 96 and author Dame Barbara Cartland at age 98.

In 2020, President Donald Trump visited a Ford Motor Co. plant outside Detroit that had been repurposed to manufacture ventilators; he did not publicly wear a face mask but said he had worn one while out of public view. A Michigan judge sided with Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in a challenge by Republican lawmakers to her authority to order sweeping restrictions during the coronavirus outbreak.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2022, 09:33:07 AM »

Ten years ago: President Barack Obama and other world leaders meeting in Chicago locked in place an Afghanistan exit path that would keep their troops fighting there for two more years. Former Rutgers University student Dharun Ravi (dah-ROON’ RAH’-vee), who used a webcam to spy on his gay roommate, Tyler Clementi, who then committed suicide, was sentenced to 30 days in jail (he served 20). A Yemeni man detonated a bomb during a rehearsal for a military parade, killing 96 fellow soldiers; al-Qaida’s branch in Yemen claimed responsibility.

Five years ago: President Donald Trump, visiting Riyadh, implored Saudi Arabia and other Middle Eastern countries to extinguish “Islamic extremism” emanating from the region. North Korea fired a solid-fuel ballistic missile, saying the test was hailed as perfect by leader Kim Jong Un. The Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus received its final standing ovation as it performed its last show at the Nassau County Coliseum in Uniondale, New York, ending a 146-year run.

One year ago: Thousands of Palestinians rallied after a cease-fire took effect in the latest Gaza war; the 11 days of fighting left more than 250 people dead, the vast majority Palestinians, and brought widespread destruction to the Gaza Strip. President Joe Biden said there had been no shift in his commitment to Israel’s security, but that a two-state solution that includes a state for Palestinians remained “the only answer” to that conflict. Authorities said the two Bureau of Prisons workers who were supposed to be guarding Jeffrey Epstein the night he killed himself in a New York jail had admitted that they falsified records, but that they would be spared prison time under a deal with federal prosecutors; the workers were accused of sleeping and browsing the internet instead of monitoring Epstein.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2022, 09:35:11 AM »

Today’s Birthdays:

R&B singer Ron Isley (The Isley Brothers) is 81.
Musician Bill Champlin is 75.
Singer Leo Sayer is 74.
Actor Carol Potter is 74.
Former Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., is 71.
Actor Mr. T is 70.
Music producer Stan Lynch is 67.
Actor Judge Reinhold is 65.
Actor-director Nick Cassavetes is 63.
Actor Lisa Edelstein is 56.
Actor Fairuza Balk is 48.
Rock singer-musician Mikel Jollett (Airborne Toxic Event) is 48.
Rapper Havoc (Mobb Deep) is 48.
Rock musician Tony LoGerfo (Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real) is 39.
Actor Sunkrish Bala is 38.
Actor David Ajala is 36.
Actor Ashlie Brillault is 35.
Country singer Cody Johnson is 35.
Actor Scott Leavenworth is 32.
Actor Sarah Ramos is 31.
Pages: [1] 2 3