Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2018, 04:01:19 PM »

Those Iguanas Falling From Trees in Florida? They Probably Aren’t Dead.

Beware the falling iguanas in South Florida.

When temperatures dip into the 30s and 40s, people from West Palm Beach to Miami know to be on the lookout for reptiles stunned — but not necessarily killed — by the cold. They can come back to life again in the warmth.

In Boca Raton, Frank Cerabino, a Palm Beach Post columnist familiar with the critters, stepped outside and saw a bright green specimen by his pool on Thursday morning, feet up.

“It’s one of those ethical things: What do you do?” he said in an interview.

Iguanas, which can be as long as six feet, are not native to South Florida. They have proliferated in the subtropical heat, causing headaches for wildlife managers — and occasionally popping up in toilets. It took a prolonged cold spell to significantly reduce their population in 2010. (The same cold snap also resulted in the deaths of many invasive Burmese pythons.)

On Thursday, Mr. Cerabino poked at the animal with his pool skimmer, hoping to wake it up. In a previous backyard encounter with a paralyzed iguana, he said, picking it up with a shovel did the trick.

But no luck this time.

“He didn’t move,” Mr. Cerabino said. “But he’s probably still alive. My experience is that they take a while to die.”

So he opted for leaving the iguana where it was, “and dealing with it when I come home.”

“He’ll either get enough sun where he’ll revive himself and get himself up the tree, or he’ll continue to freeze and turn dark brown — almost black — and I’ll know he’s dead,” Mr. Cerabino said.
Interesting. Can't we eat it instead?
like Crocodile Dundee?

« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2018, 04:06:10 PM »

[...]

You call that a knife?

« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2018, 04:14:36 PM »

[...]

http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/restaurants/six-ways-to-cook-iguana-6392248

« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2018, 05:53:49 PM »

[...]

I wouldn't want to clean it but I would definitely try eating it.

« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2018, 06:21:20 PM »

[...]

Not to bad actually.  They have the same problem in Puerto Rico.  Allowed to kill them at will.  Worst thing is they don't climb down from trees well, so usually just drop.  Not good when they land on a car.

« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2018, 06:25:15 PM »

[...]

Speaking of interesting menu's, I enjoy the Lambertville Station's winter game menu.

http://delawarerivertowns.com/get-wild-winter-lambertville-stations-wild-game-menu/
Logged

Oyam18

  • El Matador del Banter
Re: 1/4/2018
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2018, 06:37:10 PM »

Gifted from a fine BOTL we lost too soon.

« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2018, 08:20:00 PM »

Gifted from a fine BOTL we lost too soon.
Nice stick with some age on them. Enjoy!

« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2018, 08:21:19 PM »

[...]

I think I've been there. Is that near New Hope?

« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2018, 09:32:48 PM »

[...]

I’ve been there also, NJ side of the river. New Hope is across on the PA side

« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2018, 11:17:00 PM »

[...]

It's right across the river in NJ.
Logged

Oyam18

  • El Matador del Banter
Re: 1/4/2018
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2018, 11:29:40 PM »

Gifted from a fine BOTL we lost too soon.
Nice stick with some age on them. Enjoy!
it was very nice, gifted by Steve O may he RIP
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]