CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: 1/4/2018  (Read 8012 times)

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
Re: 1/4/2018
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2018, 04:01:19 PM »

Those Iguanas Falling From Trees in Florida? They Probably Aren’t Dead.

Beware the falling iguanas in South Florida.

When temperatures dip into the 30s and 40s, people from West Palm Beach to Miami know to be on the lookout for reptiles stunned — but not necessarily killed — by the cold. They can come back to life again in the warmth.

In Boca Raton, Frank Cerabino, a Palm Beach Post columnist familiar with the critters, stepped outside and saw a bright green specimen by his pool on Thursday morning, feet up.

“It’s one of those ethical things: What do you do?” he said in an interview.

Iguanas, which can be as long as six feet, are not native to South Florida. They have proliferated in the subtropical heat, causing headaches for wildlife managers — and occasionally popping up in toilets. It took a prolonged cold spell to significantly reduce their population in 2010. (The same cold snap also resulted in the deaths of many invasive Burmese pythons.)

On Thursday, Mr. Cerabino poked at the animal with his pool skimmer, hoping to wake it up. In a previous backyard encounter with a paralyzed iguana, he said, picking it up with a shovel did the trick.

But no luck this time.

“He didn’t move,” Mr. Cerabino said. “But he’s probably still alive. My experience is that they take a while to die.”

So he opted for leaving the iguana where it was, “and dealing with it when I come home.”

“He’ll either get enough sun where he’ll revive himself and get himself up the tree, or he’ll continue to freeze and turn dark brown — almost black — and I’ll know he’s dead,” Mr. Cerabino said.
Interesting. Can't we eat it instead?
like Crocodile Dundee?

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2018, 04:06:10 PM »

When temperatures dip into the 30s and 40s, people from West Palm Beach to Miami know to be on the lookout for reptiles stunned — but not necessarily killed — by the cold. They can come back to life again in the warmth.

In Boca Raton, Frank Cerabino, a Palm Beach Post columnist familiar with the critters, stepped outside and saw a bright green specimen by his pool on Thursday morning, feet up.

Iguanas, which can be as long as six feet, are not native to South Florida. They have proliferated in the subtropical heat, causing headaches for wildlife managers — and occasionally popping up in toilets. It took a prolonged cold spell to significantly reduce their population in 2010. (The same cold snap also resulted in the deaths of many invasive Burmese pythons.)

On Thursday, Mr. Cerabino poked at the animal with his pool skimmer, hoping to wake it up. In a previous backyard encounter with a paralyzed iguana, he said, picking it up with a shovel did the trick.

But no luck this time.

“He didn’t move,” Mr. Cerabino said. “But he’s probably still alive. My experience is that they take a while to die.”

So he opted for leaving the iguana where it was, “and dealing with it when I come home.”

“He’ll either get enough sun where he’ll revive himself and get himself up the tree, or he’ll continue to freeze and turn dark brown — almost black — and I’ll know he’s dead,” Mr. Cerabino said.
like Crocodile Dundee?
You call that a knife?

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2018, 04:14:36 PM »

But no luck this time.

like Crocodile Dundee?
You call that a knife?

http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/restaurants/six-ways-to-cook-iguana-6392248

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2018, 05:53:49 PM »

But no luck this time.

like Crocodile Dundee?
You call that a knife?

I wouldn't want to clean it but I would definitely try eating it.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2018, 06:21:20 PM »

But no luck this time.

Not to bad actually.  They have the same problem in Puerto Rico.  Allowed to kill them at will.  Worst thing is they don't climb down from trees well, so usually just drop.  Not good when they land on a car.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2018, 06:25:15 PM »

But no luck this time.

like Crocodile Dundee?
You call that a knife?

Speaking of interesting menu's, I enjoy the Lambertville Station's winter game menu.

http://delawarerivertowns.com/get-wild-winter-lambertville-stations-wild-game-menu/

Oyam18

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • El Matador del Banter
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2018, 06:37:10 PM »

Gifted from a fine BOTL we lost too soon.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2018, 08:20:00 PM »

Nice stick with some age on them. Enjoy!

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2018, 08:21:19 PM »

But no luck this time.

like Crocodile Dundee?
You call that a knife?

Speaking of interesting menu's, I enjoy the Lambertville Station's winter game menu.

http://delawarerivertowns.com/get-wild-winter-lambertville-stations-wild-game-menu/
I think I've been there. Is that near New Hope?

sfish

« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2018, 09:32:48 PM »

But no luck this time.

like Crocodile Dundee?
You call that a knife?

I’ve been there also, NJ side of the river. New Hope is across on the PA side

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2018, 11:17:00 PM »

But no luck this time.

like Crocodile Dundee?
You call that a knife?

It's right across the river in NJ.

Oyam18

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • El Matador del Banter
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2018, 11:29:40 PM »

Nice stick with some age on them. Enjoy!
it was very nice, gifted by Steve O may he RIP
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]