CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: 10/2/2023  (Read 800 times)

TruDog

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • ...WooF...
Re: 10/2/2023
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2023, 02:43:15 PM »

Slide guitar is increasingly important to Fumblewump, so I needed a guitar devoted to it. Playing slide requires higher action, bigger strings, and open tunings. At the same time, it's all about the strings, the pickups, and the slide, so fancy and expensive tonewoods are meaningless.

I have a number of electric guitars, but none that I was prepared to devote to these requirements.

A friend of mine offered these, already loaded with upgraded parts and set up correctly for what I needed. I ended up buying both for $800 - which by way of  comparison is less than a quarter the cost of my Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul, and less than a third the cost of my TMG Telecaster.

I wouldn't remotely consider either of these  for normal playing. I don't like the neck profile on either, I don't like the Pau Ferro fretboard on the Goldtop, and I don't like the ergonomics of the SG. But after thoroughly working them out over the weekend, they're going to be spectacular for slide.
...Pretty Bad Ass RaZZy.    Ive only got Gibson and Fenders.   Yo Shine with that pick uP.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2023, 03:51:25 PM »

Slide guitar is increasingly important to Fumblewump, so I needed a guitar devoted to it. Playing slide requires higher action, bigger strings, and open tunings. At the same time, it's all about the strings, the pickups, and the slide, so fancy and expensive tonewoods are meaningless.

I have a number of electric guitars, but none that I was prepared to devote to these requirements.

A friend of mine offered these, already loaded with upgraded parts and set up correctly for what I needed. I ended up buying both for $800 - which by way of  comparison is less than a quarter the cost of my Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul, and less than a third the cost of my TMG Telecaster.

I wouldn't remotely consider either of these  for normal playing. I don't like the neck profile on either, I don't like the Pau Ferro fretboard on the Goldtop, and I don't like the ergonomics of the SG. But after thoroughly working them out over the weekend, they're going to be spectacular for slide.
So after adding these two, how many guitars do you have?

Oyam18

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • El Matador del Banter
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2023, 05:18:25 PM »

I think it’s called Millonario, I can hardly make it out on the band. It has to be well over 10 years old.  ::)

Oyam18

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • El Matador del Banter
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2023, 05:19:53 PM »

always wanted to play guitar but it actually takes effort and dedication 👍

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2023, 05:57:39 PM »

Fifteen electric guitars, eight acoustic guitars, and one square-neck resonator guitar.

Four of the electrics and one of the acoustics are restoration projects and aren't working at the moment.

The guitars that work all get used regularly, for different purposes, by my son Christian and I.

I also own two combo amplifiers, three amplifier heads, two rack heads, four powered cabinets, and four passive cabinets. One of the guitar amp heads is a restoration project.

Then there's the electric bass guitar, bass amp, and bass cabinet. There's also a stand-up bass here, but it belongs to my youngest son.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2023, 05:58:18 PM »

...Pretty Bad Ass RaZZy.    Ive only got Gibson and Fenders.   Yo Shine with that pick uP.
I didn't realize you played, Tru. Good onya.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2023, 06:00:06 PM »

always wanted to play guitar but it actually takes effort and dedication
...along with a bit of pain endured, at least in the first few weeks.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2023, 08:43:31 PM »

Fifteen electric guitars, eight acoustic guitars, and one square-neck resonator guitar.

Four of the electrics and one of the acoustics are restoration projects and aren't working at the moment.

The guitars that work all get used regularly, for different purposes, by my son Christian and I.

I also own two combo amplifiers, three amplifier heads, two rack heads, four powered cabinets, and four passive cabinets. One of the guitar amp heads is a restoration project.

Then there's the electric bass guitar, bass amp, and bass cabinet. There's also a stand-up bass here, but it belongs to my youngest son.
I can play the bass clarinet... ;)

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2023, 08:51:44 PM »

I can play the bass clarinet... ;)

Rock and roll! Let's jam...

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2023, 09:02:07 PM »

Wordle 835 5/6*

⬛⬛⬛🟩🟨
⬛⬛🟨🟩⬛
🟨🟩⬛🟩🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2023, 09:03:02 PM »

I think it’s called Millonario, I can hardly make it out on the band. It has to be well over 10 years old.  ::)
I tried zooming in yesterday, I couldn't make it out.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2023, 09:03:30 PM »

Homemade Clam Chowder, homemade sourdough, and some cold Chardonnay to go with watching the Seahawks beat up on the Giants.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2023, 09:13:02 PM »

EPC New Wave

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2023, 09:14:24 PM »

Homemade Clam Chowder, homemade sourdough, and some cold Chardonnay to go with watching the Seahawks beat up on the Giants.
I had some Penn Station (sub place) followed by a wake. Also relaxing now with some MNF, which is a bright spot in the writer's strike for me since I don't have ESPN.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2023, 09:15:17 PM »

I had some Penn Station (sub place) followed by a wake. Also relaxing now with some MNF, which is a bright spot in the writer's strike for me since I don't have ESPN.
I pay for ESPN+, but that doesn't get me access to regular ESPN, which I never understood.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5