« Reply #195 on: June 24, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »

The box of Partagas P2 I got last night were markedly richer-looking than what I've gotten in the past. Darker and oilier. Spooked me a little, had to do all the checks for counterfeit. Everything checks out, though. And word is these have improved lately.
I've had the same thing happen with Monte #2's
Yeah, and obviously Havanas are simply not going to be rigidly consistent over time, given how they're made.  No cigar really is - nor should it be, actually.  But there's that mindset that's hard to break out of, and outside Cuba manufacturers try harder to adapt to it.  And let's face it, when you're dealing with contraband you're always suspicious.

But I'll tell ya, those are some really nice-looking cigars, and they smell amazing.  It was real hard not to light one up, harder still knowing these are going to be in the humidor a long time before any get smoked.

« Reply #196 on: June 24, 2014, 11:27:30 AM »

Holy shit, I just saw the PDR AFR-75 Edmundos on cigarmonster.com.  I have one in my portable humi, must've gotten it from CF.  Didn't realize they were so expensive.  Just figured it was a throwaway.  Anyone smoke one?

« Reply #197 on: June 24, 2014, 11:33:55 AM »

Holy shit, I just saw the PDR AFR-75 Edmundos on cigarmonster.com.  I have one in my portable humi, must've gotten it from CF.  Didn't realize they were so expensive.  Just figured it was a throwaway.  Anyone smoke one?
I'll have to check out the moochidor, see if I kept that one. Cause you're right, a PDR would've gone straight in there for me.
Logged

DesertRat

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • {***}
Re: 6/24/2014
« Reply #198 on: June 24, 2014, 11:34:32 AM »

Morning Dusty!!
\\\\Howdy, Dave! Are you, perchance, in Ireland?

« Reply #199 on: June 24, 2014, 11:35:35 AM »

The box of Partagas P2 I got last night were markedly richer-looking than what I've gotten in the past. Darker and oilier. Spooked me a little, had to do all the checks for counterfeit. Everything checks out, though. And word is these have improved lately.
Amazing how dark the CCs get with age...was it an older box date?  Montes are always inconsistent for me, some are dry looking and some are dark and oily(twss?)
The previous P2s I bought were the Tubo fifteen pack.  I think they refer to them as a "hotel pack".  I've been gifted probably half-a-dozen as well.  All were similar in color, almost Connecticut Shade but a little darker, and not really oily.  I've got five Lusitanias that were gifted that are similar color.  The P2s I received yesterday were darker and oilier.  I can't compare the dates because I didn't record the box date from the previous purchase...but now I'm thinking about it I've got pictures and might be able to get them from those.  I'll look.

« Reply #200 on: June 24, 2014, 11:38:10 AM »

Holy shit, I just saw the PDR AFR-75 Edmundos on cigarmonster.com.  I have one in my portable humi, must've gotten it from CF.  Didn't realize they were so expensive.  Just figured it was a throwaway.  Anyone smoke one?
I'll have to check out the moochidor, see if I kept that one. Cause you're right, a PDR would've gone straight in there for me.
I know PDRs don't get much love here, so I've avoided them.  But I liked these: http://goo.gl/EQokq4

« Reply #201 on: June 24, 2014, 11:41:31 AM »

[...]

That's the hard part.  I don't mind putting cigars away for a bit, but I don't like having to do it to get a smokable cigar.  Allowing for recovery from transit, I expect a cigar to be ready to smoke upon reciept or pick up from a B&M.

« Reply #202 on: June 24, 2014, 11:41:42 AM »

Holy shit, I just saw the PDR AFR-75 Edmundos on cigarmonster.com.  I have one in my portable humi, must've gotten it from CF.  Didn't realize they were so expensive.  Just figured it was a throwaway.  Anyone smoke one?
I'll have to check out the moochidor, see if I kept that one. Cause you're right, a PDR would've gone straight in there for me.
Wonder if the price tag is a marketing ploy, alla Gurkha?
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 6/24/2014
« Reply #203 on: June 24, 2014, 11:42:10 AM »

Holy shit, I just saw the PDR AFR-75 Edmundos on cigarmonster.com.  I have one in my portable humi, must've gotten it from CF.  Didn't realize they were so expensive.  Just figured it was a throwaway.  Anyone smoke one?

So, now your review is going to be tainted because of the price/value expectation. Not knowing may have led you believe it was okay for a $4-$5 smoke. Now you know it's $13... Oy will hate it!

« Reply #204 on: June 24, 2014, 11:42:37 AM »

[...]
Nice!  Yeah it's a good idea with CCs to keep box dates or at least month/year somewhere.  I have bands I made for all of my CCs with that info, looks like this:

« Reply #205 on: June 24, 2014, 11:44:25 AM »

Morning Dusty!!
\\\\Howdy, Dave! Are you, perchance, in Ireland?
Aye, and what be givin' ya that idea laddie?

« Reply #206 on: June 24, 2014, 11:44:28 AM »

Holy shit, I just saw the PDR AFR-75 Edmundos on cigarmonster.com.  I have one in my portable humi, must've gotten it from CF.  Didn't realize they were so expensive.  Just figured it was a throwaway.  Anyone smoke one?
I'll have to check out the moochidor, see if I kept that one. Cause you're right, a PDR would've gone straight in there for me.
I know PDRs don't get much love here, so I've avoided them.  But I liked these: http://goo.gl/EQokq4
So I'm hopeful that this could be a decent stick.

« Reply #207 on: June 24, 2014, 11:45:24 AM »

Holy shit, I just saw the PDR AFR-75 Edmundos on cigarmonster.com.  I have one in my portable humi, must've gotten it from CF.  Didn't realize they were so expensive.  Just figured it was a throwaway.  Anyone smoke one?

So, now your review is going to be tainted because of the price/value expectation. Not knowing may have led you believe it was okay for a $4-$5 smoke. Now you know it's $13... Oy will hate it!
Oy hates everything.

« Reply #208 on: June 24, 2014, 11:48:26 AM »

I was just going to jump to the last page of posts but I'm glad I didn't.  NJDave and LTG especially, had me rolling.  (Granted that it's not hard to do given my shape).

You denied fishy that response....he's gonna be mad.
Too easy.
Exactly
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 6/24/2014
« Reply #209 on: June 24, 2014, 11:48:40 AM »

Holy shit, I just saw the PDR AFR-75 Edmundos on cigarmonster.com.  I have one in my portable humi, must've gotten it from CF.  Didn't realize they were so expensive.  Just figured it was a throwaway.  Anyone smoke one?
I'll have to check out the moochidor, see if I kept that one. Cause you're right, a PDR would've gone straight in there for me.
I know PDRs don't get much love here, so I've avoided them.  But I liked these: http://goo.gl/EQokq4

While I haven't had the 1878, I would agree that the Oscuro (blue band) is probably the best of all the PDR's I've sampled... and didn't actually put out straight away. .02