Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]

« Reply #270 on: June 12, 2015, 07:09:50 PM »

Nothing near stock I ever saw faster than a 440 6 pak except  a 426 Hemi
No stroke just porting, polishing, increase compression to around 12 with pistons and head work, headers, valves and lifters and a manifold.  My memory was 850 but could have been 800 that was in 1969.  It was on a Dyno after and low 400's in hp.  Also very widely known that 290 HP was a factory "rating" for insurance purposes and reality was close to 100 more.  Car stickered for +\- $3900 brand new.  Rally Green with black stripes and black interior, just wish it was in the garage now.
LOL you were 4 years old when I got that car.
And to be clear, even at the stock 310HP or so, the Z-28 was a potent car.  But yeah - you'd obviously done your homework to have those heads worked.  Heads aren't sexy, but they're the real lungs of the engine, and where the real power is made.

The Mopars were the real power in the 60's.  Most people now think Chevys and Fords owned the muscle car era, but that's only because of Bill France and NASCAR.  NASCAR started with Fords, but in the 50's France made a concerted effort to get Chevy into the fold because of the brilliance of the small-block Chevy engine.  Smokey Yanuck was the wizard, and that led to the proliferation of speed accessories and knowledge for the small-block Chev.  But Chrysler owned the drag strips.

A friend of mine in high school borrowed a '66 Polara with a 440 from his aunt for the high school drags our junior year.  He and I rebuilt the heads and did a primitive port and polish on it, rebuilt the carb, installed air shocks, put cut-outs on the exhaust and took it to the drags.  We duct-taped bags of dry ice to the manifold and air cleaner housing to try and increase the air density.  People laughed at us, but it was bracket racing and we damned near won the whole shootin' match without ever actually crossing the finish line first - and we scared the hell out of a few guys in sexy muscle cars who we almost beat to the line.
My roommate in college (RIP Bill, he passed away about 18 months ago) had a Buick GS Stage I 455 and it was a bad MF but could not run with a 426 Hemi of which there were damn few to run.  Motor would not stay together though, liked throw rods.

« Reply #271 on: June 12, 2015, 07:10:32 PM »

I got a brown box today also!!!!! Mine had ammo in it to smoke.
  Remember not to cut those when you smoke 'em.
Good suggestion, I will just light them whole.
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 6/12/2015
« Reply #272 on: June 12, 2015, 07:21:17 PM »

Jeez, you guys... Writing a book? Looks like Muscle Car Monthly in here. Haha.. Sweet!

« Reply #273 on: June 12, 2015, 07:22:12 PM »

[...]

Yes they did.  Two-bolt caps on the bottom end.  Achilles heel.  If you pumped up the compression without paying attention to the bottom end, simply decelerating too quickly could grenade the engine.  Friend of mine had one in high school, and did exactly that.

« Reply #274 on: June 12, 2015, 07:24:25 PM »

Jeez, you guys... Writing a book? Looks like Muscle Car Monthly in here. Haha.. Sweet!
Well, y'know what they say...if you get two car guys together, you'll get three opinions.
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 6/12/2015
« Reply #275 on: June 12, 2015, 07:26:25 PM »

PF and a Left Hand Nitro... Much better now.

« Reply #276 on: June 12, 2015, 07:35:12 PM »

Jeez, you guys... Writing a book? Looks like Muscle Car Monthly in here. Haha.. Sweet!
Well, y'know what they say...if you get two car guys together, you'll get three opinions.
...and as I said, I couldn't afford hot rods in high school.  So from the time I was in middle school I read Car Craft and Hot Rod like they were holy writ and lived vicariously through others.

My grandfather owned to Union 76 stations in LA after the war, before he turned to real estate.  But he made sure I could identify everything under the hood by the time I was three, and I was spinning wrenches by the time I was in kindergarten.

I still haven't done a car project for myself.  Did a couple of trucks, a '73 Ford with a Y-block that my brother begged for and I traded it to him for his '72 GMC and a dirt bike.  I had the '72 ready for body work and paint, everything mechanical was brand new.  Not really hot-rodded, just warmed up a little and with a turbo 350 and a 3.73 posi rear.  Highway truck.  Then a tree fell on it during a windstorm.  Broke my heart.  Now I'm just doing my Harley.

« Reply #277 on: June 12, 2015, 07:59:40 PM »

Total waste of a day at work.  Everybody I'm dependent on at the moment was out of the office.  At least I got to banter.

« Reply #278 on: June 12, 2015, 08:00:05 PM »

Time to shut down and catch the vanpool.  Catch y'all from the road, if I don't fall asleep.
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 6/12/2015
« Reply #279 on: June 12, 2015, 08:54:11 PM »

This is sort of long, but I thought the part where the girl and guy test drive the 2015 VW Golf GTI was sort of cute. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGihDlIE4Mc

« Reply #280 on: June 12, 2015, 09:56:48 PM »

PF and a Left Hand Nitro... Much better now.
Insist on talking cigars do you?

« Reply #281 on: June 12, 2015, 09:57:58 PM »

Total waste of a day at work.  Everybody I'm dependent on at the moment was out of the office.  At least I got to banter.
You should take the JWacky approach to work.... if they're not there, then you don't have to be either.
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 6/12/2015
« Reply #282 on: June 12, 2015, 10:01:15 PM »

Total waste of a day at work.  Everybody I'm dependent on at the moment was out of the office.  At least I got to banter.
You should take the JWacky approach to work.... if they're not there, then you don't have to be either.
I always felt that if no one else was there, I must be in charge...!
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 6/12/2015
« Reply #283 on: June 12, 2015, 10:36:56 PM »

I'm heading out.  Later everyone..!
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]