CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: 10/15/2017  (Read 5195 times)

South Carolina Redfish

• Coffee At Sunrise 🌄 and Cocktails At Sunset 🌅
  • Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • “Retirement Is Wonderful”
Re: 10/15/2017
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2017, 07:40:58 AM »

Morning CarolinaDave and SchoolDazeTony.
Morning Travellin Dave

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 07:42:11 AM »

Events - October 15
1860 - Grace Bedell, age 11, wrote Abe Lincoln with a suggestion. She urged Lincoln to grow a beard. If he did, she’d try to get her four brothers to vote for him for president. Lincoln won the election in November -- then he grew a beard.
1892 - The U.S. government convinced the Crow Indians to give up 1.8 million acres of their reservation for 50 cents per acre. On this day, by presidential proclamation, the land in the mountainous area of western Montana was opened to settlers.

1905 - President Grover Cleveland wrote an article for "Ladies Home Journal", joining others in the U.S. who opposed women voters. The president said, “We all know how much further women go than men in their social rivalries and jealousies... sensible and responsible women do not want to vote.”

1931 - The production of "The Cat and the Fiddle" opened in New York. It played for 395 performances. Meow!

1932 - The War Memorial Opera House became the first municipally-owned opera palace -- in San Francisco, CA. "Tosca" was the first opera presented.

1946 - With two outs, and St. Louis Cardinals’ Enos Slaughter on first, Harry Walker hit a line drive to left-center. Slaughter got an early jump as Boston Red Sox pitcher Bob Klinger failed to hold him on the bag. Leon Culberson (in center) bobbled Walker’s single and shortstop Johnny Pesky hesitated on the cutoff (checking the runner on first instead of throwing home). Ignoring third base coach Mike Gonzalez, Slaughter rounded third and scored. Pitcher Harry Brecheen shut down the Red Sox in the ninth and St. Louis won the game, 4-3, and the World Series, four games to three. The ’46 Series will always be remembered in Red Sox lore as the one in which “Pesky held the ball.”

1951 - "I Love Lucy" debuted on CBS-TV. For the next 20 years, Lucille Ball would be a TV regular. She did take 1956 off. Why? No, having little Ricky had nothing to do with it. She starred in "Wildcat" on Broadway that year.

1953 - "The Teahouse of the August Moon" opened on Broadway to begin a long and successful run (1,027 performances).

1955 - The "Grand Ole Opry" finally made it to TV on this day. The ABC network carried just one hour of "Opry" (it continued through the night), live from Nashville. This arrangement only lasted for one year; although the "Grand Ole Opry" was used as a staging arena for other successful shows like "Classic Country Featuring Stars of the Grand Ole Opry" and "Hayride". Then, Grand Ole Opry came to TV to stay. In 1985, the Nashville Network (TNN) positioned the show on Saturday nights. In July 2001, Opry moved to Country Music Televison (CMT).

1959 - Van Johnson was originally slated to play Eliot Ness, but he backed out in a dispute over money the weekend before filming was to begin. Robert Stack was hastily recruited for the starring role in "The Untouchables" on a Sunday morning. He was fitted for costumes in the afternoon, and started filming the first episode, "The Empty Chair", on Monday morning. "The Untouchables", with the chatter of machine-gun fire and the squeal of tires on the streets of Chicago, began a four-year run this day on ABC-TV. With Stack, as G-man Ness, were Nick Georgiade (as Enrico Rossi), Jerry Paris (as Martin Flaherty), Abel Fernandez (as William Youngfellow), Anthony George (as Cam Allison), Paul Percerni (as Lee Hobson), Steve London (as Agent Rossman) and Bruce Gordon (as Frank Nitti). The unforgettable narrator was radio’s famous Walter Winchell.

1964 - An American treasure died. Cole Porter, renowned lyricist and composer, died at age 73. "I’ve Got You Under My Skin" and hundreds of other classics crossed all musical style and format boundaries throughout his long and rich career.

1964 - For St. Louis, it was the first time a Cardinal team had appeared in the World Series since 1946 (see above), and the first of three Series appearances in the 1960s. For the Yankees, it was their last Series appearance for 12 years, and the last hurrah in a long string of Fall Classics for legendary players Whitey Ford and Mickey Mantle. The Cards won the Series in seven games, with Bob Gibson’s complete game, nine strike-out performance in game seven. Lou Brock’s fifth-inning home run triggered a second 3-run inning and a 6-0 lead for Gibson. Mickey Mantle, Clete Boyer, and Phil Linz homered for New York, but it wasn’t enough. The Cards won the game, 7-5, and the series, four games to three.

1970 - The Baltimore Orioles overcame a 3-0 deficit to beat the Cincinnati Reds, 9-3, and win the World Series in five games. It was the first Series on artificial turf and the first at Riverfront Stadium (Cincinnati). And it was the Brooks Robinson show. With the Orioles’ third baseman leading the way, the Orioles avenged their World Series loss (to the NY Mets) of a year earlier by getting beating the Reds in five games.

1971 - Rick Nelson was booed off the stage when he didn’t stick to all oldies at the seventh Annual Rock ’n’ Roll Revival show at Madison Square Garden, New York. He tried to slip in some of his new material and the crowd did not approve. The negative reaction to his performance inspired Nelson to write his last top-40 hit, "Garden Party", which hit the top-ten about a year after the Madison Square Garden debacle. "Garden Party", ironically, was Nelson’s biggest hit in years, “...If you gotta play at garden parties, I wish you a lotta luck; But if memories were all I sang, I rather drive a truck.”

1973 - “From those of us working the late shift in Southern California, sweet dreams.” Tom Snyder would use this phrase to close his late-night show, "Tomorrow", which debuted on NBC-TV this night. Tom would yuk it up with some of TV’s most interesting chatter -- right after the "Tonight" show. NBC would later add critic Rona Barrett to the show. "Tomorrow" ran until January of 1982.

1984 - Public telephones flew on 20 flights beginning this day for those who had credit cards. Costs for the Airfone service: $7.50 for a three-minute call, $1.25 for each additional minute anywhere you wanted to call in the United States.

1988 - "Red Red Wine", by UB40, was the first reggae hit to make it to number one in the U.S. From the album "Labour of Love", "Red Red Wine" was #1 for only one week, but turned out to be UB40’s signature song.

1990 - Mikhail Gorbachev, President of the USSR (1985-1991), won the Nobel Peace Prize. Gorbachev is widely credited for “helping to end the Cold War, change the map of Europe and usher in a new era in world affairs.”

1993 - African National Congress leader Nelson (Rolihlahla) Mandela and South African President F.W. (Frederik Willem) de Klerk were awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for their efforts to usher in reforms that 1) ended South Africa’s era of white minority rule and 2) laid the foundations for democracy.

1994 - REM’s "Monster" was a monster of an album -- #1 in the U.S. The album, featuring "What’s the Frequency, Kenneth?", "Crush with Eyeliner", "King of Comedy", "I Don’t Sleep, I Dream", "Star 69", "Strange Currencies", "Tongue", "Bang and Blame", "I Took Your Name", "Let Me In", "Circus Envy" and "You", was number one for two weeks.

1997 - British Royal Air Force pilot Andy Green drove (piloted?) the first land-based vehicle (at Black Rock Desert, NV) to break the sound barrier: a two-way average speed of 763.035 mph – mach 1.020. And, considering he had to use one hand just to hold on to his hat, that is an impressive feat...

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2017, 07:42:56 AM »

Birthdays - October 15
70 B.C. - Virgil (poet: The Aeneid; died Sep 21, 19 B.C.)
1844 - Friedrich Nietzsche (philosopher: “Plato was a bore.”; The Birth of Tragedy, Thoughts out of Season, Human, All Too Human, Thus Spake Zarathustra, Beyond Good and Evil, On the Genealogy of Morals, Twilight of the Idols, The Antichrist; died Aug 25, 1900)

1858 - John L. Sullivan (International Boxing Hall of Famer: World Heavyweight champion [1881-1889], Marquis of Queensbury Champion [1885-1892]; last bareknuckle championship fight [75 rounds in 1889]; actor: The Great John L. Sullivan, vaudeville; died Feb 2, 1918)

1881 - P.G. (Sir Pelham Grenville) Wodehouse (author: Leave It to Psmith, The Inimitable Jeeves, The Code of the Woosters, French Leave, Carry on Jeeves, Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves; died Feb 14, 1975)

1900 - Mervyn LeRoy (director: Gypsy, Mister Roberts, The Bad Seed, The F.B.I. Story, Homecoming, Little Women, Madame Curie, A Majority of One, Quo Vadis, Rose Marie, Random Harvest, Thirty Seconds over Tokyo, Three on a Match; died Sep 13, 1987)

1903 - Mule (George William) Haas (baseball: Pittsburgh Pirates, Philadelphia Athletics [World Series: 1929-1931], Chicago White Sox; died June 30, 1974)

1904 - Marty Mann (social activist: first woman to stay sober in Alcoholics Anonymous [AA], founded National Committee for Education on Alcoholism; author: A New Primer on Alcoholism; died Jul 22, 1980)

1908 - John Kenneth Galbraith (economist; author: The Affluent Society, The New Industrial State, The Anatomy of Power; U.S. ambassador to India [1961-1963]; died Apr 29, 2006)

1909 - Robert Trout (journalist: radio/TV; TV moderator: Presidential Timber; emcee: Who Said That?; died Nov 14, 2000)

1913 - David Carroll (musician, conductor, arranger: Melody of Love, It’s Almost Tomorrow; record producer for The Diamonds, The Platters; died Mar 22, 2008)

1917 - Arthur (Meier) Schlesinger Jr. (Pulitzer Prize-winning author/historian: The Age of Jackson [1946 prize in history], A Thousand Days: John F. Kennedy in the White House [1966 prize in biography]; The Age of Roosevelt, The Imperial Presidency, Robert F. Kennedy and His Times; presidential special assistant and speech writer [1961-64]; died Feb 28, 2007)

1920 - Chris Economaki (auto sports writer, broadcaster: ABC Sports; died Sep 28, 2012)

1920 - Mario Puzo (novelist: The Godfather, Fourth K.; screen playwright: The Godfather series, Earthquake, Superman: The Movie, Superman 2, The Cotton Club, Christopher Columbus: The Discovery; died July 2, 1999)

1924 - José Quintero (director: Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone, Medea; died Feb 26, 1999)

1924 - Lee (Lido) Iacocca (mechanical engineer, automobile executive: chairperson of Chrysler Corporation, president of Ford Motor Company; author: Iacocca; chairperson: centennial rehabilitation of Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island foundation)

1925 - Mickey (McHouston) Baker (musician: guitar, singer: duo: Mickey & Sylvia: Love is Strange, There Oughta Be a Law, Baby You’re So Fine; solo: session player: Losing Hand, [Mama] He treats Your Daughter Mean; died Nov 27, 2012)

1926 - Jean Peters (actress: Three Coins in the Fountain, Apache, Broken Lance, Viva Zapata, It Happens Every Spring; died Oct 13, 2000)

1934 - Peter Haskell (actor: Robot Wars, Child’s Play, Christina, Bracken’s World, The Law and Harry McGraw, Rich Man, Poor Man-Book II, Rituals)

1935 - Barry McGuire (singer, songwriter: group: The New Christy Minstrels: Green, Green; solo: Eve of Destruction)

1935 - Bobby Morrow (National Track & Field & Olympic Hall of Famer: Gold Medalist: [3-1956]: 100-meter, 200-meter, 4x100 relay; Sullivan Award [1957])

1937 - Linda Lavin (Tony Award-winning actress: Broadway Bound [1987]; Alice, Barney Miller, Room for Two)

1938 - Marv Johnson (singer: You Got What it Takes, I Love the Way You Love, Come to Me, I Miss You Baby [How I Miss You]; in film: The Teenage Millionaire [1962]; died May 16, 1993)

1942 - Dick Lotz (golf: PGA Tour [1969]; champ: [Kemper Open: 1970])

1942 - Don Stevenson (musician: drums, singer: group: Moby Grape: LPs: Moby Grape, Wow, Grape Jam)

1943 - Penny (Carole) Marshall (actress: Laverne & Shirley, The Odd Couple, The Bob Newhart Show; director: Renaissance Man, Big, A League of Their Own, Awakenings, Jumpin’ Jack Flash; sister of director, producer Garry Marshall)

1945 - Jim (James Alvin) Palmer (Baseball Hall of Fame pitcher: Baltimore Orioles [World Series: 1966, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1979, 1983/all-star: 1970, 1971, 1972, 1975, 1977, 1978/Cy Young Award-winner: 1975, 1976]; broadcaster: ABC Sports; spokesperson, model: Jockey underwear)

1946 - Richard Carpenter (musician, composer, singer: Grammy Award-winning group: Carpenters: [They Long to Be] Close to You [1970], Best New Artist [1970], LP: The Carpenters [1971]; We’ve Only Just Begun, Rainy Days and Mondays, Superstar, Goodbye to Love, Yesterday Once More, Sing, Top of the World, Only Yesterday; TV host: Make Your Own Kind of Music)

1946 - Victor Banerjee (actor: Bitter Moon, Foreign Body, The Home and the World, A Passage to India)

1946 - Jim Beirne (football: Purdue [All-American: 1966], Houston Oilers)

1948 - Chris De Burgh (Christopher John Davidson) (singer, songwriter: The Lady in Red, A Spaceman Came Travelling, Ship to Shore, Don’t Pay the Ferryman, High on Emotion, The Ecstacy of Flight [I Love the Night], Transmission Ends)

1951 - Roscoe Tanner (tennis champion: Australian Open [1977])

1953 - Tito (Toriano) Jackson (singer: group: The Jackson Five: I Want You Back, ABC, The Love You Save, I’ll Be There; brother of Michael, Janet, Jermaine, LaToya)

1955 - Tanya Roberts (Leigh) (actress: Charlie’s Angels, Deep Down, Sins of Desire, Body Slam, A View to a Kill, Tourist Trap, California Dreaming, Forced Entry)

1959 - Sarah Ferguson (Duchess of York: ‘Fergie’)

1959 - Emeril Lagasse (celebrity chef, TV host: Emeril Live, Essence of Emeril; actor: Emeril; restaurateur: owns restaurants in New Orleans, Las Vegas, Orlando)

1965 - Trace Armstrong (football: Chicago Bears, Miami Dolphins, Oakland Raiders)

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2017, 07:43:50 AM »

Chart Toppers - October 15
I Wish I Didn’t Love You So - Vaughn Monroe
Feudin’ and Fightin’ - Dorothy Shay
Near You - The Francis Craig Orchestra (vocal: Bob Lamm)
Smoke! Smoke! Smoke! (That Cigarette) - Tex Williams

Love is a Many-Splendored Thing - The Four Aces
Autumn Leaves - Roger Williams
Black Denim Trousers - The Cheers
The Cattle Call - Eddy Arnold

Sugar Shack - Jimmy Gilmer & The Fireballs
Be My Baby - The Ronettes
Cry Baby - Garnet Mimms & The Enchanters
Talk Back Trembling Lips - Ernest Ashworth

Maggie Mae/Reason to Believe - Rod Stewart
Superstar - Carpenters
Yo-Yo - The Osmonds
How Can I Unlove You - Lynn Anderson

Don’t Stop ’Til You Get Enough - Michael Jackson
Rise - Herb Alpert
Sail On - Commodores
Last Cheater’s Waltz - T.G. Sheppard

Here I Go Again - Whitesnake
Lost in Emotion - Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam
Carrie - Europe
The Way We Make a Broken Heart - Rosanne Cash

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2017, 08:02:41 AM »

533 Byzantine general Belisarius makes his formal entry into Carthage, having conquered it from the Vandals.
1520 King Henry VIII of England orders bowling lanes at Whitehall
1522 Emperor Karel I names Hernán Cortés governor of Mexico

1552 Khanate of Kazan is conquered by troops of Ivan Grozny.
1581 Commissioned by Catherine De Medici, the 1st ballet "Ballet Comique de la Reine" is staged in Paris
1582 Many Catholic countries switch to Gregorian calendar, skip 10 days
1598 Spanish general strategist Bernardino de Mendoza occupies fort Rhine
1641 Paul de Chomedy de Maisonneuve claims Montreal
1654 Prince Willem III appointed viceroy of Overijssel
1655 Jews of Lublin are massacred
1660 Asser Levy granted butcher's license (kosher meat) in New Amsterdam
1674 Torsåker witch trials begin, largest witch trials in Sweden, 71 beheaded and burned
1705 English fleet under Lord Peterborough occupies Barcelona
1724 Cornelis Steenoven is 1st archbishop of Old Catholic church in Utrecht, The Netherlands
1756 Saxon army surrenders to Prussia

1764 Edward Gibbon observes a group of friars singing in the ruined Temple of Jupiter in Rome, which inspires him to begin work on The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
1777 Mjr James Graves Simcoe appointed commandant of Queen's Rangers (Penn)
1783 Jean Pilstre de Rozier makes 1st tethered balloon ascent
1786 Earliest 32°F (0°C) recorded temperature in NYC
1789 1st presidental tour-George Washington in New England
1815 Napoleon Bonaparte arrives on island of St Helena to begin his exile
1827 Charles Darwin admitted to Christ's College, Cambridge
1842 Karl Marx becomes editor-in-chief of Rheinische Zeitung
1846 Dr William Thomas Green Morton 1st public use of ether
1860 11-year-old Grace Bedell writes to Abraham Lincoln telling him to grow a beard

1863 Cliff House opens in San Francisco, 1st of many on the site
1864 Confederate troops occupy Glasgow, Missouri
1866 Great fire in Quebec destroys 2,500 houses
1877 45th Congress (1877-79) convenes
1878 Edison Electric Light Company incorporated
1880 Cologne Cathedral, Germany completed, 633 years after it was begun
1880 Mexican soldiers kill Victorio, one of the greatest Apache military strategists.
1881 1st American fishing magazine, American Angler published
1883 Supreme Court declares Civil Rights Act of 1875 unconstitutional
1885 Hoss Radbourne pitches his 60th win of season
1886 Modest Mussorgsky's musical fantasy "Night on Bald Mountain" premieres in St. Petersburg's Kononov Hall, Russia
1888 German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche decides to write his autobiography "Ecce Homo" on his 44th birthday

1889 Amsterdam Central Station officially opens
1890 Alabama Penny Savings Bank organizes in Birmingham
1894 Captain Alfred Dreyfus arrested accused of espionage in France
1897 Aaron and Samuel Bloch carry 1st Mail Pouch
1897 King Leopold II takes Belgian crown
1899 Cincinnati closes season with 16-1 & 19-3 victories over Cleve Spiders
1904 The Russians are driven back by the Japanese in the Battle of Shaho; both sides suffer high casualties: Japanese (16,000) and Russians (60,000)
Event of interestEvent of Interest
1905 Claude Debussy's "La Mer" premieres
1905 Union workers at NVV rejects safety demands
1912 Red Sox Tris Speaker's makes only world series unassisted double play, from the outfield
1913 Train crash in Liverpool during "Black Week"
1914 ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors & Publishers) founded
1914 Battle of Warsaw, begins (ends Oct 21)
1914 Clayton Anti-trust Act passed (union & strike rights)

1917 Chicago White Sox beat NY Giants, 4 games to 2 in 14th World Series
1917 Dutch dancer Mata Hari is executed by firing squad for spying for Germany during WWI at Vincennes near Paris
1918 British Q-ship Cymric sinks British submarine J6
1919 14 horses begin 300-mile race from Vt to Mass for $1000 prize money
1923 NY Yankees 1st World Series win beating NY Giants, 4 games to 2
1924 US President Calvin Coolidge declares Statue of Liberty a national monument

1924 André Breton publishes his "Surrealist Manifesto" with Éditions du Sagittaire in Paris
1925 Pittsburgh Pirates beat Washington Senators, 4 games to 3 in 22nd World Series
1925 Willem Landre's opera "Beatrice" premieres in The Hague
1926 Austria government of Seipel, forms
1926 Philip Barry's "White Wings!" premieres in NYC
1928 German dirigible "Graf Zeppelin" lands in Lakehurst, NJ
1928 Walter Johnson signs a 3-year contract to manage the Senators
1932 Tata Airlines (later to become Air India) makes its first flight.
1933 20th Amendment to the US Constitution goes into effect: President term begins in Jan not March
1933 Philadelphia Eagles play 1st NFL game, lose to NY Giants 56-0
1935 NHL's St Louis Eagles fold

1937 Ernest Hemingway novel "To Have & Have Not" published
1937 Rather than accept any trade offers, the Yanks release Tony Lazzeri
1938 Robert Sherwoods "Abe Lincoln in Illinois" premieres in NYC
1939 LaGuardia Airport opens in NYC
1939 Yeshiva of Mir closes after 124 years
1940 -16] Heavy German air raid on London, 400 killed
1940 London's Waterloo Station bombed by German luftwaffe
1940 "The Great Dictator", a satiric social commentary film by and starring Charlie Chaplin released
1941 1st mass deportation of German Jews to Eastern Europe

1941 Hideki Tojo appointed Prime Minister of Imperial Japan
1941 Jews caught outside Nazi Ghetto walls in occupied Poland could be put to death
1942 German 6th Army occupies Tractorenfabriek, 3,000 Germans die
1944 The Arrow Cross Party (very similar to Hitler's NSDAP (Nazi party)) takes over the power in Hungary.
1945 Baseball Attendance hits record 10.28 million (Tigers 1.28 is highest)
1946 Smallest World Series share since 1918 (Cards $3,748, Red Sox $2,140)
1946 St Louis Cards beat Boston Red Sox, 4 games to 3 in 43rd World Series
1946 Enos Slaughter scores from 1st on a single in World Series
1948 China's Red army occupies Chinchov
1949 Administration of territory of Manipur taken over by Indian government
1949 Billy Graham begins his ministry
1949 Tripura accedes to Indian union
1951 Egyptian parliament accept denounces Suez Canal Treaty
1951 Mexican chemist Luis E. Miramontes synthesizes the first oral contraceptive

1951 "I Love Lucy", starring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, debuts on CBS
1952 Arthur Laurent's "Time of the Cuckoo" premieres in NYC
1953 John Patrick's "Teahouse of the August Moon" premieres in New York
1953 KOIN TV channel 6 in Portland, OR (CBS) begins broadcasting
1953 WJNL (now WFAT) TV channel 19 in Johnstown, PA (IND) begins
1954 Hurricane Hazel makes landfall in the US in North Carolina as a category 4 hurricane, 195 die in US and Canada
1954 KLTV TV channel 7 in Tyler-Longview, TX (ABC) begins broadcasting
1956 Pyotr Bolotnikov runs world record 10k (28:42.8)
1956 William J. Brennan, Jr. is appointed to US Supreme Court
1956 Yankees Enos Slaughter scores from 1st on a single in World Series
1957 Giants trade Minneapolis franchise to Red Sox for SF Seals-franchises only, not the players
1958 Tunisia drops diplomatic relations with Egypt
1958 USSR performs nuclear test at Novaya Zemlya USSR
1959 "Untouchables" premieres
1959 KNDO TV channel 23 in Yakima, WA (NBC) begins broadcasting
1960 "Laughs & Other Events" closes at Barrymore Theater NYC after 8 performances
1962 Byron R White appointed to Supreme Court
1962 WLOX TV channel 13 in Biloxi-Gulfport, MS (ABC) begins broadcasting

1963 Ludwig Erhard succeeds Konrad Adenauer as Chancellor of West Germany
1964 Craig Breedlove sets auto speed record of 846.97 kph
1964 St Louis Cardinals beat NY Yankees, 4 games to 3 in 61st World Series
1964 NY Yankees appears in 14 & win 9 of last 16 World Series
1965 Dodgers & Sandy Koufax win 7th game of 62nd World Series vs Twins
1965 WEMT (now WVII) TV channel 7 in Bangor, ME (ABC) begins broadcasting
1966 Australia bans Troggs' "I Can't Control Myself" as "terribly obscene"

1966 LBJ signs a bill creating US Department of Transportation
1966 Black Panther Party created by Huey P. Newton and Bobby Seale
1968 AL expansion draft, KC pick Roger Nelson & Pilots pick Don Mincher 1st
1968 The Nationalist Party of Northern Ireland (NPNI) withdraws from its role as 'official' opposition within the Northern Ireland parliament at Stormont
1969 Bank of America World Headquarters (555 California) dedicated
1969 Madison Square Garden TV Network begins (Rangers vs North Stars)
1969 NY Met Ron Swoboda's spectacular diving catch of sinking liner with runners at 1st & 3rd in 9th, Mets win in 10th in World Series game
1969 Oriole Earl Weaver becomes 1st manager ejected in a World Series
1969 Vietnam Moratorium Day; millions nationwide protest the war
Music awardsMusic Awards
1969 3rd Country Music Association Award: Johnny Cash & Tammy Wynette wins
1970 Baltimore Orioles beat Cincinnati Reds, 4 games to 1 in 67th World Series
1970 Bridge over Yarra River in Melbourne crashes; killing 35
1970 Russian passenger flight hijacked to Turkey

1970 Anwar Sadat elected 3rd President of Egypt, succeeding Gamal Abdel Nasser
1971 The start of the 2,500-year celebration of Iran, celebrating the birth of Persia
1972 61st Davis Cup: USA beats Romania in Bucharest (3-2)
1972 Omni in Atlanta opens - Hawks beat NY Knicks 109-101
1973 7th Country Music Association Award: Roy Clark wins
1973 Tanks attack Thailand demonstrating students, 300 killed
1974 National Guard mobilizes to restore order in Boston school busing
1974 Nobel prize for chemistry awarded to Paul J Flory (macro molecules)
1974 Washington Capitals 1st NHL tie, playing LA Kings to 1-1 tie
1975 Iceland moves intl boundary from 50 to 200 miles
1976 1st debate of major-ticket VP nominees Mondale (D) vs Dole (R)

1976 Ringo Starr releases single "A Dose of Rock 'n' Roll"
1977 Arkansas' Steve Little kicks a record tying 67 yard field goal
1977 Debbie Boone's "You Light Up My Life" goes #1 & stays #1 for 10 weeks
1977 Don Ritchie runs world record 100 mile (11:30:51)
1977 "Serpentine Fire" single released by Earth, Wind & Fire (Billboard Song of the Year 1978)
1978 Silvia Bertolaccini wins LPGA Civitan Golf Open
1978 USSR performs nuclear test at Eastern Kazakh/Semipalitinsk USSR
1979 1st Monday night game from NYC, Jets beat Vikings 14-7 (Shea Stad)
1979 Chinese premier Hwa Kwofeng visits Paris
1979 Military coup in El Salvador: president/general Carlos Romero flees
1979 NY Knicks retire 2nd number, # 10, Walt Frazier
1980 George Brett is forced out of World Series with hemorrhoids

1980 Nobel Prize in Economics awarded to Lawrence R Klein
1981 Professional cheerleader Krazy George Henderson leads what is thought to be the first audience wave in Oakland, California.
1981 MLB American League Championship: New York Yankees beat Oakland Athletics, 3 games to 0
1983 Black Hawks & Maple Leafs combine for fastest 5 goals (84 seconds)
1983 Columbia beats Yale 21-18 in football, will lose next 44 games
1983 US Marine sharpshooters kill 5 snipers at Beirut International Airport
1983 34th Formula One WDC: Nelson Piquet wins by two points
1984 Central Intelligence Agency Information Act passes
1984 Centrum party expels 2nd Member of parliament Janmaat due to fraud
1985 Nobel prize for economics awarded to Franco Modigliani
1985 Shuttle Columbia carries Spacelab into orbit
1985 Shelley Taylor of Australia makes fastest swim ever around Manhattan Island, doing it in 6 hours 12 minutes 29 seconds

1986 Longest post season game, Mets beat Astros 7-6 in 16 & win NL pennant
1986 MLB National League Championship: New York Mets beat Houston Astros, 4 games to 2
1986 MLB American League Championship: Boston Red Sox beat California Angels, 4 games to 3
1987 "Late Nite Comic" opens at Ritz Theater NYC for 4 performances
1987 6th Belgium government of Martens falls
1987 Coup in Burkina Faso, president Sankara dies
1987 Lanford Wilson's "Burn This" premieres in NYC
1987 NFL Players Association orders an end to 24 day strike
1987 The Great Storm of 1987 hits France and England.
1988 Amnesty International's Global Concert Tour ends in Buenos Aires
1988 NCAA record rushing yardage (768 yards-Oklahoma)
1988 With 2 outs in bottom of 9th, an injured Kirk Gibson hits dramatic 2 run HR to give Dodgers a 5-4 win in 1st game of World Series
1989 Billy Graham is given 1,900th star on Hollywood Blvd
1989 South African President F. W. de Klerk frees ANC Founder Walter Sisulu and four other political prisoners
1989 Wayne Gretzky passes Gordie Howes as NHL's all time top scorer

1990 Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev wins Nobel Peace Prize
1991 Clarence Thomas is confirmed as Supreme Court Justice (52-48)
1992 Charles Taylor launches an offensive against Monrovia Liberia
1992 Howard Stern radio show begins broadcasting on WLUP-AM, Chicago
1992 NYC Subway motorman Robert Ray convicted of manslaughter in death of 5 riders, when he fell asleep drunk while in control of train
1993 Amstel brewery on Curacao produces 1,000,000,000th bottle
1993 Nelson Mandela and South African President F. W. de Klerk awarded the Nobel Peace Prize

1994 Botswana President Ketumile Masires BDP wins parliamentary election
1994 President Jean-Baptiste Aristide returns to Haiti
1995 Annika Sorenstam wins LPGA World Championship of Women's Golf
1995 Carolina Panthers win 1st game ever beating NY Jets 26-15
1997 Britain's Andy Green sets jet-powered car record (763.035 mph)
1997 Former rep Dan Rostenkowski released from custody for mail fraud
1997 NY jury awards boxer Mitch Green $45,000 in civil lawsuit against Mike Tyson, for street brawl in 1988
1997 US launches nuclear powered Cassini to Saturn
1997 MLB American League Championship: Cleveland Indians beat Baltimore Orioles, 4 games to 2

2000 Larry David's "Curb Your Enthusiasm" debuts on HBO
2001 NASA's Galileo spacecraft passes within 112 miles of Jupiter's moon Io.
2001 The first tanker loading of the new $2.5-billion Kazakh-Russia Pipeline takes place
2003 China launches Shenzhou 5, its first manned space mission.
2003 The Staten Island Ferry boat Andrew J. Barberi collides with a pier at the St. George Ferry Terminal in Staten Island, killing 11 people and injuring 43.
2003 MLB National League Championship: Florida Marlins beat Chicago Cubs, 4 games to 3
2005 Iraqi constitution ratification vote
2005 Riot in Toledo, Ohio breaks out during a National Socialist/Neo-Nazi protest; over 100 are arrested.
2007 Fox Business Network (FBN), American financial cable network is launched
2007 17 Activists in Aotearoa New Zealand arrested in the country's first post 9/11 anti-terrorism raids across the country.
2007 MLB National League Championship: Colorado Rockies beat Arizona Diamondbacks, 4 games to 0
2008 MLB National League Championship: Philadelphia Phillies beat Los Angeles Dodgers, 4 games to 1

2011 Global protests break out in 951 cities in 82 countries
2011 Legoland Florida (the world's largest Legoland theme park) opens in Winter Haven, Florida.
2011 MLB American League Championship: Texas Rangers beat Detroit Tigers, 4 games to 2
2012 Hilary Mantel wins the 2012 Man Booker Prize for her novel "Bring Up the Bodies"
2013 Dove Cameron releases a single, "Better In Stereo"
2014 MLB American League Championship: Kansas City Royals beat Baltimore Orioles, 4 games to 0

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2017, 08:05:21 AM »

Got some real fools on the golf course this morning!

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2017, 08:07:33 AM »

Chart Toppers - October 15
I Wish I Didn’t Love You So - Vaughn Monroe
Feudin’ and Fightin’ - Dorothy Shay
Near You - The Francis Craig Orchestra (vocal: Bob Lamm)
Smoke! Smoke! Smoke! (That Cigarette) - Tex Williams

Love is a Many-Splendored Thing - The Four Aces
Autumn Leaves - Roger Williams
Black Denim Trousers - The Cheers
The Cattle Call - Eddy Arnold

Sugar Shack - Jimmy Gilmer & The Fireballs
Be My Baby - The Ronettes
Cry Baby - Garnet Mimms & The Enchanters
Talk Back Trembling Lips - Ernest Ashworth

Maggie Mae/Reason to Believe - Rod Stewart
Superstar - Carpenters
Yo-Yo - The Osmonds
How Can I Unlove You - Lynn Anderson

Don’t Stop ’Til You Get Enough - Michael Jackson
Rise - Herb Alpert
Sail On - Commodores
Last Cheater’s Waltz - T.G. Sheppard

Here I Go Again - Whitesnake
Lost in Emotion - Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam
Carrie - Europe
The Way We Make a Broken Heart - Rosanne Cash
Completely lost me after 1979.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2017, 08:09:44 AM »

Today is National I Love Lucy Day, National Cheese Curd Day, and most important for CarolinaDave, National Grouch Day!

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2017, 08:10:50 AM »

Today is National I Love Lucy Day, National Cheese Curd Day, and most important for CarolinaDave, National Grouch Day!
And you forgot it is also GFY Day for Travellin Dave!

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2017, 08:12:53 AM »

Ten years ago: Americans Leonid Hurwicz, Eric S. Maskin and Roger B. Myerson won the Nobel economics prize for their work on “mechanism design theory.” The Colorado Rockies beat the Arizona Diamondbacks 6-4 in Game 4 to sweep the NL championship series and advance to the World Series for the first time in franchise history.

Five years ago: Former pro wrestler Hulk Hogan sued the news and gossip website Gawker for posting a sex tape of him online. (Hogan won a $140 million verdict against Gawker, which ended up settling for $31 million in a legal fight that led to the media company’s bankruptcy.) The San Francisco Giants evened the National League Championship series 1-1 with a 7-1 win over the St. Louis Cardinals.

One year ago: Republican Donald Trump sought to undermine the legitimacy of the U.S. presidential election, pressing unsubstantiated claims that the contest was “rigged” against him. Secretary of State John Kerry announced that Yemen’s Houthi (HOO’-thee) rebels had released two U.S. citizens as part of a complicated diplomatic arrangement. The Cleveland Indians edged the Toronto Blue Jays 2-1 in Game 2 of the American League Championship Series. The Chicago Cubs beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 8-4 in Game 1 of the NLCS.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2017, 08:13:20 AM »

And you forgot it is also GFY Day for Travellin Dave!
That's every day!   ;)

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2017, 08:15:01 AM »

Thought for Today: “A friend to all is a friend to none.” — Aristotle, Greek philosopher (384 B.C.-322 B.C.).

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2017, 08:15:53 AM »

Today’s Birthdays: Former auto executive Lee Iacocca is 91. Jazz musician Freddy Cole is 84. Singer Barry McGuire is 80. Actress Linda Lavin is 78. Rock musician Don Stevenson (Moby Grape) is 73. Actress-director Penny Marshall is 72. Baseball Hall of Famer Jim Palmer is 70. Singer-musician Richard Carpenter is 69. Actor Victor Banerjee is 69. Former tennis player Roscoe Tanner is 64. Singer Tito Jackson is 62. Actor-comedian Larry Miller is 62. Actor Jere Burns is 61. Actress Tanya Roberts is 60. Movie director Mira Nair is 58. Britain’s Duchess of York, Sarah Ferguson, is 56. Chef Emeril Lagasse is 56. Rock musician Mark Reznicek (REHZ’-nih-chehk) is 53. Singer Eric Benet is 49. Actress Vanessa Marcil is 47. Singer-actress-TV host Paige Davis is 46. Country singer Kimberly Schlapman (Little Big Town) is 46. Actor Dominic West is 46. Rhythm-and-blues singer Ginuwine is 45. Actor Chris Olivero is 36. Christian singer-actress Jaci (JAK’-ee) Velasquez is 36. Actor Brandon Jay McLaren is 35. Rhythm-and-blues singer Keyshia Cole is 34. Tennis player Elena Dementieva is 34. Actor Vincent Martella is 23. Actress Bailee Madison is 16.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2017, 09:31:51 AM »

Boy stayed up till around midnight smoking ribs and a pork butt on the Big Green Egg for lunch today.  Should be good!

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2017, 10:42:58 AM »

TV Preaching Lull?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5