CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: 9/9/2017  (Read 5172 times)

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
Re: 9/9/2017
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2017, 07:38:49 AM »

Ten years ago: Seemingly taunting Osama bin Laden, President George W. Bush's homeland security adviser, Frances Fragos Townsend, said in Sunday talk-show appearances that the fugitive al-Qaida leader was "virtually impotent" beyond his ability to hide away and spread anti-American propaganda. Roger Federer beat Novak Djokovic 7-6 (4), 7-6 (2), 6-4 to win his fourth straight U.S. Open championship. Britney Spears performed her new single "Gimme More" in a much-criticized comeback attempt at the MTV Video Music Awards in Las Vegas.

Five years ago: Iraq sentenced fugitive Sunni Vice President Tariq al-Hashemi to death on charges he masterminded death squads against rivals in a trial that fueled sectarian tensions in the country. Two points from defeat, Serena Williams regained her composure and her game to come back to beat Victoria Azarenka, 6-2, 2-6, 7-5, for her fourth U.S. Open championship. Shannon Eastin became the first woman to officiate an NFL regular-season game, serving as a line judge in the St. Louis Rams-Detroit Lions game. (Detroit beat St. Louis 27-23.)

One year ago: Defying the White House, Congress sent President Barack Obama legislation giving the families of victims of the September 11 attacks the right to sue Saudi Arabia. (Obama vetoed the bill, but Congress overrode his veto.) Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, speaking at an LGBT fundraiser in New York City, described half of Republican Donald Trump's supporters as "a basket of deplorables," a characterization she ended up expressing regret over. Shaquille O'Neal and Allen Iverson were inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame, along with international star Yao Ming, WNBA great Sheryl Swoopes, coach Tom Izzo, and owner Jerry Reinsdorf, an architect in the Michael Jordan-led Chicago Bulls championship teams of the 1990s.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2017, 07:39:23 AM »

Today's Birthdays: Actress Sylvia Miles is 83. Actor Topol is 82. Rhythm-and-blues singer Luther Simmons is 75. Singer Inez Foxx is 75. Singer Dee Dee Sharp is 72. Rock singer-musician Doug Ingle is 71. College Football Hall of Famer and former NFL player Joe Theismann is 68. Rock musician John McFee (The Doobie Brothers) is 67. Actor Tom Wopat is 66. Actress Angela Cartwright is 65. Musician-producer Dave Stewart is 65. Actor Hugh Grant is 57. Sen. Chris Coons, D-Del., is 54. Actor-comedian Charles Esten (formerly Chip) is 52. Actress Constance Marie is 52. Actor David Bennent is 51. Actor Adam Sandler is 51. Rock singer Paul Durham (Black Lab) is 49. Actress Julia Sawalha is 49. Model Rachel Hunter is 48. Actor Eric Stonestreet is 46. Actor Henry Thomas is 46. Actor Goran Visnjic (VEEZ'-nihch) is 45. Pop-jazz singer Michael Buble' (boo-BLAY') is 42. Latin singer Maria Rita is 40. Actress Michelle Williams is 37. Actress Julie Gonzalo is 36. Neo-soul singer Paul Janeway (St. Paul & the Broken Bones) is 34. Actress Zoe Kazan is 34. Author-motivational speaker-businessman Farrah Gray is 33. Contemporary Christian singer Lauren Daigle is 26. Country singer-songwriter Hunter Hayes is 26.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2017, 07:39:56 AM »

Thought for Today: "Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off the goal." - Hannah More, English author and social reformer (1745-1833).

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2017, 07:46:46 AM »

Morning CarolinaDave and StormSurgeDean.
Morning Dave.
Looks like I'm in for a good blow.

cigarbreath

• Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Why, I'd be delighted to put my needs last again!
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2017, 07:52:46 AM »

Morning CarolinaDave and StormSurgeDean.
Morning Dave.
Looks like I'm in for a good blow.
In your dreams.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2017, 08:22:58 AM »

Good morning, gents. Only 3 kids' games for me today.

South Carolina Redfish

• Coffee At Sunrise 🌄 and Cocktails At Sunset 🌅
  • Founding Member
  • “Retirement Is Wonderful”
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2017, 08:25:43 AM »

The earths atmosphere is just not totally predictable!

There is a High Pressure Ridge east of Florida that is steering Irma west, movement of those ridges is very difficult to predict with long range accuracy.  Jose has little to do with Irma's movement.

3 day Location/Track  forecasts over the last 15 years have actually been pretty damn amazing but the NWS and other weather forecasters are always going to build in a safety factor or simply stated "err on the side of caution ".

Remember, this storm has travelled about 10,000 miles with track forecasts for about 8,000 miles!

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2017, 08:26:18 AM »

Good morning, gents. Only 3 kids' games for me today.
Only? ::)

Morning Mayor!

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2017, 08:31:05 AM »

...HURRICANE IRMA HITTING HARD THE NORTH COAST OF CUBA... ...TERRAIN OF CUBA WEAKEN THE HURRICANE BUT RESTRENGTHENING IS ANTICIPATED...

8:00 AM EDT Sat Sep 9
Moving: W at 12 mph
Min pressure: 937 mb
Max sustained: 130 mph

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2017, 08:31:06 AM »

this just in on HLN News:
6 million people being asked to evacuate Florida.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2017, 08:35:09 AM »

The earths atmosphere is just not totally predictable!

There is a High Pressure Ridge east of Florida that is steering Irma west, movement of those ridges is very difficult to predict with long range accuracy.  Jose has little to do with Irma's movement.

3 day Location/Track  forecasts over the last 15 years have actually been pretty damn amazing but the NWS and other weather forecasters are always going to build in a safety factor or simply stated "err on the side of caution ".

Remember, this storm has travelled about 10,000 miles with track forecasts for about 8,000 miles!
For God Sakes just be thankful the cigar scientists at CI are not responsible for Hurricane Forecasts!!!!

Sheesh, what an inept bunch of $hitheads! 

It just amazes me that after Fuk'n up so bad then loosing so much money and stock value they don't seem to have made any management changes.

Threebean

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2017, 08:36:24 AM »

Morning Daves, Tony, and RiderOfTheStormDean.  Beautiful day weather-wise in-store here.   Going for a ride with a couple buddies down to  Lockhart, BBQ capital of Texas.  Yummo!

Threebean

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2017, 08:37:33 AM »

Yeah, I'm sure that will work.  Just ask Houston. 

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2017, 08:37:50 AM »

Federal, state and locals their primary goal is always:  "you can't say you were not warned"

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2017, 08:39:21 AM »

Morning Daves, Tony, and RiderOfTheStormDean.  Beautiful day weather-wise in-store here.   Going for a ride with a couple buddies down to  Lockhart, BBQ capital of Texas.  Yummo!
Smitty's Market maybe?  That is my favorite there.

Sure beats the chit out of packing and moving!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5