CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: 9/9/2017  (Read 5173 times)

CigarBanter

• Administrator
  • Senior Status
9/9/2017
« on: September 09, 2017, 12:00:03 AM »

Any cigar deals on the various internet /sites that are worth talking about? Join in this discussion and perhaps learn something along the way.  Warning: don't proceed if you have thin skin but don't be afraid to post either...  And welcome aboard!

South Carolina Redfish

• Coffee At Sunrise 🌄 and Cocktails At Sunset 🌅
  • Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • “Retirement Is Wonderful”
Re: 9/9/2017
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 05:44:34 AM »

Morning Folks, Happy 6th Saturday!

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 05:47:14 AM »

What a F'UP CI has managed this time!

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
Re: 9/9/2017ve
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 05:59:58 AM »

Looks like Irma is going to turn up the west coast of FL, Miami may not even have hurricane force winds but there will be storm surges and a lot of rain all over.

5:00 AM EDT Sat Sep 9
Moving: WNW at 12 mph
Min pressure: 930 mb
Max sustained: 155 mph

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 06:33:04 AM »

Irma will likely be the strongest storm to strike the FL Keys since the Labor Day Storm of 1935 which killed over 400 people.  Storms were not officially named by the weather service until 1953, before then they were usually given names as they hit thus "Labor Day" Storm of 1935 with 185 mph sustained winds was the most intense storm to ever make landfall in the continental U.S.

There were several books written about the Labor Day Storm, quite an interesting story.  This is probably the best of those books if anyone would like some interesting Winter Reading material. (Available Cheap'O used at Amazon)

Hemingway's Hurricane: The Great Florida Keys Storm of 1935

Another good one:

Last Train to Paradise: Henry Flagler and the Spectacular Rise and Fall of the Railroad That Crossed an Ocean

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 06:56:10 AM »

SHEESH!

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 07:04:49 AM »

2 Country Music Stars passed yesterday.

Country Music Hall of Famer Don Williams has died, his publicist announced on Friday.

Williams died after a short illness. He was 78 years old.

Williams was born in Floydada, TX, on May 27, 1939. He was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2010.

Williams was considered one of country music’s greatest voices, as well as one of its shyest. His nickname was the “Gentle Giant.”

NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -
Country music star Troy Gentry, one half of duo Montgomery Gentry, has died in a helicopter crash in New Jersey. He was 50 years old.

The crash happened around 1 p.m. on Friday. Gentry was the passenger of a two-seater helicopter that crashed just off runway one at the Flying W Airport outside of Medford, NJ.

Singing partner Eddie Montgomery and the band were all near the crash site because they were set to play a concert there on Friday night. That concert has since been canceled.

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 07:17:11 AM »

Good morning Dave. Doesn't look good for the west coast. Boy was my guess wrong. Heading to the lady's house this morning to hunker down in the new block house. If the winds and flooding gets too bad well come back to my place. We even have friends offered to put us up.
First though is a La Palina Classic robusto and coffee.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 07:20:44 AM »

Good morning Dave. Doesn't look good for the west coast. Boy was my guess wrong. Heading to the lady's house this morning to hunker down in the new block house. If the winds and flooding gets too bad well come back to my place. We even have friends offered to put us up.
Morning Dean, hell this crazy storm may change some more before it gets up your way but glad you have a plan made.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 07:25:17 AM »

WOW, Seems like hurricanes may not give a $hit how much money you have!

Richard Branson says Hurricane Irma 'utterly devastated' his private island, urges everyone to take shelter from monster storm

http://www.chron.com/technology/businessinsider/article/Richard-Branson-says-Hurricane-Irma-utterly-12180580.php?ipid=hpctp

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 07:30:31 AM »

What a F'UP CI has managed this time!
Don't imagine anyone checks these things before they put them up... :-\

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 07:32:54 AM »

Morning Dean, hell this crazy storm may change some more before it gets up your way but glad you have a plan made.
Typical that they can't predict the weather any better today than 200 years ago. They just try to evacuate the state on their best guess. I have faith in God that whatever happens will be okay and he'll give me the strength to help those in need.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 07:33:56 AM »

Morning CarolinaDave and StormSurgeDean.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 07:36:59 AM »

Typical that they can't predict the weather any better today than 200 years ago. They just try to evacuate the state on their best guess. I have faith in God that whatever happens will be okay and he'll give me the strength to help those in need.
Instead of being nudged to the east by the normal flow of weather across the states, seems Irma continues to lean westward, probably due to Jose riding up her butt.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 07:37:59 AM »

Today is Saturday, Sept. 9, the 252nd day of 2017. There are 113 days left in the year.

Today's Highlight in History:

On September 9, 1957, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed the first civil rights bill to pass Congress since Reconstruction, a measure primarily concerned with protecting voting rights and which also established a Civil Rights Division in the U.S. Department of Justice.

On this date:

In 1776, the second Continental Congress made the term "United States" official, replacing "United Colonies."

In 1850, California became the 31st state of the union.

In 1893, Frances Cleveland, wife of President Grover Cleveland, gave birth to a daughter, Esther, in the White House; it was the first (and, to date, only) time a president's child was born in the executive mansion.

In 1919, some 1,100 members of Boston's 1,500-man police force went on strike. (The strike was broken by Massachusetts Gov. Calvin Coolidge with replacement officers.)

In 1926, the National Broadcasting Co. (NBC) was incorporated by the Radio Corp. of America.

In 1942, during World War II, a Japanese plane launched from a submarine off the Oregon coast dropped a pair of incendiary bombs in a failed attempt at igniting a massive forest fire; it was the first aerial bombing of the U.S. mainland by a foreign power.

In 1956, Elvis Presley made the first of three appearances on "The Ed Sullivan Show."

In 1967, the comedy show "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In" aired as a onetime special on NBC; its success led to a regular series beginning in January 1968.

In 1971, prisoners seized control of the maximum-security Attica Correctional Facility near Buffalo, New York, beginning a siege that ended up claiming 43 lives.

In 1976, Communist Chinese leader Mao Zedong died in Beijing at age 82. JVC unveiled its new VHS videocassette recorder during a presentation in Tokyo.

In 1986, Frank Reed, director of a private school in Lebanon, was taken hostage; he was released 44 months later.

In 1997, Sinn Fein (shin fayn), the IRA's political ally, formally renounced violence as it took its place in talks on Northern Ireland's future. Actor Burgess Meredith died in Malibu, California, at age 89.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5