« Reply #165 on: January 22, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »

Mr. Mayor....what's the final report on the Smoking Monk Hefeweizen?
From Tony earlier:

I wasn't impressed.  Perhaps because they are meant to be had with the corresponding beer.  I will do that with Triple Belgian but I doubt it will help.  The construction was flawless.  The draw and burn were typical of DE.  There was a bitterness (not harshness) that reminded me of the finish a beer would give.  The flavors weren't ACID unpleasant, but reminiscent of pipe tobacco.  In fact, I have some tongue bite.  It reminded me that I'm not a big fan of pipe smoking.  I tried it but don't plan on adding to my pipe and pipe tobacco collection.  Which brings me to my final assessment... These Smoking Monk's aren't on my buy list.

« Reply #166 on: January 22, 2015, 11:01:50 AM »

WTF are they selling at CI?  I was looking for something and came across the following:

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/gourmet/85355/game-day-salami-collection/#p-164078

And there were other weird things like maple syrup and such.  ???
How about that....when Purpfish was talking about hiding the salami, I didn't know he was talking about CI.

« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2015, 11:02:02 AM »

Morning, all!  I see we're talking booze shopping already...
Morning Joe...meant to ask last time you were on for 30 minutes: Is your son still playing/enjoying ice hockey?

« Reply #168 on: January 22, 2015, 11:02:59 AM »

Bean,
Did you ever check out those places north of you that I texted last time I was out?
Hear of them on a radio station that was advertizing a bourbon tasting event or the like.
Just looked it up...Chapman's River Bend Liquors in Waco.
No, have not.  Waco is a 75 minute drive from here. Would be cool to see Balcones Distillery, though I'm loath to purchase tickets for the opportunity to visit and buy booze.

« Reply #169 on: January 22, 2015, 11:03:30 AM »

Mr. Mayor....what's the final report on the Smoking Monk Hefeweizen?
From Tony earlier:

I wasn't impressed.  Perhaps because they are meant to be had with the corresponding beer.  I will do that with Triple Belgian but I doubt it will help.  The construction was flawless.  The draw and burn were typical of DE.  There was a bitterness (not harshness) that reminded me of the finish a beer would give.  The flavors weren't ACID unpleasant, but reminiscent of pipe tobacco.  In fact, I have some tongue bite.  It reminded me that I'm not a big fan of pipe smoking.  I tried it but don't plan on adding to my pipe and pipe tobacco collection.  Which brings me to my final assessment... These Smoking Monk's aren't on my buy list.
Sounds pretty similar to my experience with the Triple Belgian last night.  Best comparison was to a Natural.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #170 on: January 22, 2015, 11:03:51 AM »

Morning, all!  I see we're talking booze shopping already...
Morning Joe...meant to ask last time you were on for 30 minutes: Is your son still playing/enjoying ice hockey?

Morning, Scott.  He is.  We're taking a session off - it's Friday night and by then he's just exhausted from the week.  But we've gone to a couple San Diego State hockey games now, and he's still talking about starting back up himself with the next session.  He showed a bit of progress by the end of the last session, which was good.  He's finally getting brave enough to really try to move quickly on the ice.

« Reply #171 on: January 22, 2015, 11:03:54 AM »

WTF are they selling at CI?  I was looking for something and came across the following:

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/gourmet/85355/game-day-salami-collection/#p-164078

And there were other weird things like maple syrup and such.  ???
How about that....when Purpfish was talking about hiding the salami, I didn't know he was talking about CI.
Hey! The Chorizo has a nice mouth-feel. I can't wait until this stuff is available on Jams!
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #172 on: January 22, 2015, 11:04:19 AM »

Bean,
Did you ever check out those places north of you that I texted last time I was out?
Hear of them on a radio station that was advertizing a bourbon tasting event or the like.
Just looked it up...Chapman's River Bend Liquors in Waco.
No, have not.  Waco is a 75 minute drive from here. Would be cool to see Balcones Distillery, though I'm loath to purchase tickets for the opportunity to visit and buy booze.

Especially now that Chip Tate has been run out of the distillery he created...

« Reply #173 on: January 22, 2015, 11:05:30 AM »

WTF are they selling at CI?  I was looking for something and came across the following:

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/gourmet/85355/game-day-salami-collection/#p-164078

And there were other weird things like maple syrup and such.  ???
Ccom started that too a few months back
Cigar.com may was well just be a different page on the same site.  Who are they kidding?
Except they still manage to periodically charge a couple of dollars more for the same item available at CI.

« Reply #174 on: January 22, 2015, 11:06:31 AM »

Bean,
Did you ever check out those places north of you that I texted last time I was out?
Hear of them on a radio station that was advertizing a bourbon tasting event or the like.
Just looked it up...Chapman's River Bend Liquors in Waco.
No, have not.  Waco is a 75 minute drive from here. Would be cool to see Balcones Distillery, though I'm loath to purchase tickets for the opportunity to visit and buy booze.

Especially now that Chip Tate has been run out of the distillery he created...
Crazy stuff, fer sure.
http://whiskyadvocate.com/whisky/2014/10/19/balcones-founder-chip-tate-speaks-freely/

« Reply #175 on: January 22, 2015, 11:06:57 AM »

Bean,
Did you ever check out those places north of you that I texted last time I was out?
Hear of them on a radio station that was advertizing a bourbon tasting event or the like.
Just looked it up...Chapman's River Bend Liquors in Waco.
No, have not.  Waco is a 75 minute drive from here. Would be cool to see Balcones Distillery, though I'm loath to purchase tickets for the opportunity to visit and buy booze.
Yea, but free tasting!

« Reply #176 on: January 22, 2015, 11:07:41 AM »

Mr. Mayor....what's the final report on the Smoking Monk Hefeweizen?
From Tony earlier:

I wasn't impressed.  Perhaps because they are meant to be had with the corresponding beer.  I will do that with Triple Belgian but I doubt it will help.  The construction was flawless.  The draw and burn were typical of DE.  There was a bitterness (not harshness) that reminded me of the finish a beer would give.  The flavors weren't ACID unpleasant, but reminiscent of pipe tobacco.  In fact, I have some tongue bite.  It reminded me that I'm not a big fan of pipe smoking.  I tried it but don't plan on adding to my pipe and pipe tobacco collection.  Which brings me to my final assessment... These Smoking Monk's aren't on my buy list.
Sounds pretty similar to my experience with the Triple Belgian last night.  Best comparison was to a Natural.
Not to sound too much like Oy, but I may be packing the rest up and taking to my son...

« Reply #177 on: January 22, 2015, 11:08:06 AM »

Morning, all!  I see we're talking booze shopping already...
Morning Joe...meant to ask last time you were on for 30 minutes: Is your son still playing/enjoying ice hockey?

Morning, Scott.  He is.  We're taking a session off - it's Friday night and by then he's just exhausted from the week.  But we've gone to a couple San Diego State hockey games now, and he's still talking about starting back up himself with the next session.  He showed a bit of progress by the end of the last session, which was good.  He's finally getting brave enough to really try to move quickly on the ice.

That's good, I love that sport. He will progress quickly from there which is fun to watch. It's great when they start to score goals, THEN figure out how to pass. The goals always come first unfortunately but before long they show signs of actually understanding the game
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2015, 11:20:58 AM »

Morning, all!  I see we're talking booze shopping already...
Morning Joe...meant to ask last time you were on for 30 minutes: Is your son still playing/enjoying ice hockey?

Morning, Scott.  He is.  We're taking a session off - it's Friday night and by then he's just exhausted from the week.  But we've gone to a couple San Diego State hockey games now, and he's still talking about starting back up himself with the next session.  He showed a bit of progress by the end of the last session, which was good.  He's finally getting brave enough to really try to move quickly on the ice.

That's good, I love that sport. He will progress quickly from there which is fun to watch. It's great when they start to score goals, THEN figure out how to pass. The goals always come first unfortunately but before long they show signs of actually understanding the game

I need to watch more hockey. I don't really understand all the intricacies and rules so there are lots of questions I can't answer at the games. I'm surprised it's stuck as long as it has, to be honest. He liked the guys getting slammed in to the walls at the game, which I thought for SURE would scare him away from ever wanting to play again, but it didn't seem to.

« Reply #179 on: January 22, 2015, 11:22:12 AM »

Morning, all!  I see we're talking booze shopping already...
Morning Joe...meant to ask last time you were on for 30 minutes: Is your son still playing/enjoying ice hockey?

Morning, Scott.  He is.  We're taking a session off - it's Friday night and by then he's just exhausted from the week.  But we've gone to a couple San Diego State hockey games now, and he's still talking about starting back up himself with the next session.  He showed a bit of progress by the end of the last session, which was good.  He's finally getting brave enough to really try to move quickly on the ice.

That's good, I love that sport. He will progress quickly from there which is fun to watch. It's great when they start to score goals, THEN figure out how to pass. The goals always come first unfortunately but before long they show signs of actually understanding the game
Not unlike baseball.