Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23

« Reply #300 on: January 09, 2015, 03:46:41 PM »

Alright guys I'm shutting down, have a great martini-filled weekend!
I picked up the fixin's at lunch, so we shall see.  Have a good one, biebs.
Vermouth too?  If so, which brand?
Got the Noilly Prat but may have f'd up.  They were out of the dry and had only the extra dry and the rouge.  After speaking with the store help I bought the rouge. He didn't make the extra dry sound so good.
I agree... You fucked up.  I like extra dry.  In fact even the Tribuno I bought was extra dry.  The rouge is for Manhattans.  You might have to go spend another $7.50 to try again.  As long as Raz doesn't see your post, you shouldn't catch too much shit.
<<banging head on desk>>  The rouge and amber are sweet and semi-sweet vermouths.  Dry.  You want dry.  Original dry, extra dry, whatever.  And don't listen to the sales guy.  About anything.
DOH!  Oh well Mark, you almost got away with it.
Guess my cocktail noobness is showing.  When I saw they were out of the Noilly Prat dry and the dumbass said the extra dry would "pucker my mouth" (his exact words), I panicked.  FML.
It is true that the Extra Dry is dumbed-down for the American market.  Yes, it will make you pucker if you drink it as an aperitif, but when's the last time you heard of Americans drinking vermouth as an aperitif?  It's going into gin, in low proportions.  The Original Dry is better, but if extra dry is what they've got, get the extra.

All this, of course, speaks to the fact that Americans are stupid about Martinis, but it's the fault of the Brits.  The Martini was invented in the US, and the most reliable versions of the lore of its origin suggest that it descends from the Martinez, which was made with both dry and sweet vermouth in the typically convoluted fashion that was the style when mixed drinks first began to become popular.  The snobbish Brits, while they bought into the cocktail craze as much as anyone, sniffed at anything that was invented in the US, especially if it impinged upon the purity of their native hooch - Gin.  Hence, you get Winston Churchill blathering upon making martinis by glancing at a nearby bottle of vermouth while pouring ice-cold gin.  American servicemen stationed in Britain got hipped to the "dry martini" during World War II and loved the taste, which had nothing to do with the drink being a better cocktail without Vermouth, but everything to do with the fact that the Brits had superior Gin to anything popularly available in the states during the Great Depression and its immediate aftermath.  So we've enobled the stupid notion that the best Martini has as little Vermouth as possible, ideally none.  'Tis a crock of shite, and it stinketh.

If you like Gin straight, then drink it straight and enjoy it and don't fuck around with pretending to have a cocktail.  A Martini is supposed to have Vermouth in it, and you're supposed to be able to taste the Vermouth.  This isn't rocket surgery.  You don't order a shot of Tequila and call it a "dry Margarita."  You don't order a shot of Rum and call it a "dry Cuba Libre" or a "dry Mojito".  You don't order a shot of Rye and call it a "dry Manhattan."  That would all be pointless...as pointless as a Martini with no Vermouth.

Yeah, yeah...you woke me up.

« Reply #301 on: January 09, 2015, 03:56:57 PM »

I know I am getting older and more sophisticated when I get excited about new shoe trees arriving in the mail...
I know how you feel, I was wicked excited when our city switched over to cans for garbage and recycling.
We just did that too...so awesome! ;)
Wait till indoor plumbing hits the Dakotas... It will revolutionize shitting.
What's everyone celebrating these low gas prices for?  Doesn't affect the price of hay that I feed my horse that I take to work...
That's just us city boys actin' plum crazy!
Down to $1.91/gallon for regular in Rahway BTW
Is that near Somerville?
$1.72 at Costco here.
$1.89ish around here.
Costco is cheaper than anybody else $1.88 is about the average low.
For Vermouth?
Yeah, buy it by the gallon but only Tony quality.
THE BIG 7,500!!!!!!!!!!  LOOK AT THOSE STARS!    8)
Whew!!!!!  Beyond a snowman.  Now those are stars my Yellow friend!

« Reply #302 on: January 09, 2015, 04:02:42 PM »

[...]
Holy Chit call me The Sheriff!!!

« Reply #303 on: January 09, 2015, 04:03:41 PM »

Thank You Mr Mayor for the Silver Sheriff's Stars. 8)

« Reply #304 on: January 09, 2015, 04:08:05 PM »

Alright guys I'm shutting down, have a great martini-filled weekend!
I picked up the fixin's at lunch, so we shall see.  Have a good one, biebs.
Vermouth too?  If so, which brand?
Got the Noilly Prat but may have f'd up.  They were out of the dry and had only the extra dry and the rouge.  After speaking with the store help I bought the rouge. He didn't make the extra dry sound so good.
I agree... You fucked up.  I like extra dry.  In fact even the Tribuno I bought was extra dry.  The rouge is for Manhattans.  You might have to go spend another $7.50 to try again.  As long as Raz doesn't see your post, you shouldn't catch too much shit.
Figures.  The guy at the store was coughing and hacking, so I didn't want to spend too much time in discussion with him.  I do have whiskey and bitters, so guess I'm having a Manhattan tonight.
In that case, make sure to use rye.  Just sayin'.  By the way, I recently heard that Canadian Club is considered a rye by our friends to the North.  Who knew?
Our friends to the north are nuts.  They'll call it rye just because they throw some rye into the mash.  American Rye is 51% rye, because we 'Murcans do everything at least half-assed.  Canadian whiskey usually contains 10%-20% rye.
Thanks for the education.  Makes sense.

« Reply #305 on: January 09, 2015, 04:10:43 PM »

[...]

Interesting musings there VicoRaz!
I agree fully, drink or smoke what you like, not because of the price tag, influence of others or supposed rules.
Did you see the link I posted to the huffington comparison of gins and vermouth brands?  Interesting.  As is the one for margaritas.
Also not so adverse to vermouth when having Manhattan's....going 2:1 there.

oh, forgot to attach again...http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/30/martini-taste-test_n_3671246.html

« Reply #306 on: January 09, 2015, 04:25:27 PM »

[...]

I haven't had Vya or Dolin, so I have nothing to offer there.  But in my opinion the notion that NP is "briny" is puzzling, and the notion that Martini & Rossi is "neutral" is absurd.  Buy a bottle of M&R and a bottle of Noilly Prat. Pour a little of each into glasses.  Taste-test.  Then tell me that M&R doesn't taste metallic, like sucking on a nickel.  That's what neutral is?

So the article's conclusions are suspect to me.

« Reply #307 on: January 09, 2015, 04:29:28 PM »

[...]

Then again, I haven't had the Noilly "Extra Dry" either, and that seems to be what they used.  I only get the "Original Dry".  So maybe the "Extra Dry" really sucks.  The "Original Dry" is all flowers and citrus, as good Vermouth is supposed to be.

« Reply #308 on: January 09, 2015, 04:33:46 PM »

Time to call it a week, have a good one all.  Think a liquor store stop is now required on the way home.

« Reply #309 on: January 09, 2015, 04:37:25 PM »

Time to call it a week, have a good one all.  Think a liquor store stop is now required on the way home.
Enjoy your evening.

« Reply #310 on: January 09, 2015, 05:04:59 PM »

Thank You Mr Mayor for the Silver Sheriff's Stars. 8)
That's platinum, my friend.  I forgot those were there.  I didn't think anyone would get to Distinguished Status that quickly.

« Reply #311 on: January 09, 2015, 05:08:05 PM »

Thank You Mr Mayor for the Silver Sheriff's Stars. 8)
That's platinum, my friend.  I forgot those were there.  I didn't think anyone would get to Distinguished Status that quickly.
Platinum, damn now I am the Sheriff!

« Reply #312 on: January 09, 2015, 05:09:46 PM »

Thank You Mr Mayor for the Silver Sheriff's Stars. 8)
That's platinum, my friend.  I forgot those were there.  I didn't think anyone would get to Distinguished Status that quickly.
Platinum, damn now I am the Sheriff!
Indeed, you am.  I may have to give you site moderator rights soon.

« Reply #313 on: January 09, 2015, 05:15:07 PM »

Time to call it a week, have a good one all.  Think a liquor store stop is now required on the way home.
Have a good weekend Dave! (don't slip and fall - was just kidding earlier)

« Reply #314 on: January 09, 2015, 05:15:56 PM »

Thank You Mr Mayor for the Silver Sheriff's Stars. 8)
That's platinum, my friend.  I forgot those were there.  I didn't think anyone would get to Distinguished Status that quickly.
Platinum, damn now I am the Sheriff!
Indeed, you am.  I may have to give you site moderator rights soon.
You are doing a fine job at that without me.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23